Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 09, 2023, 03:51 PMIt's still crazy and a damned shame that Blur never caught on over here. They were a great band, kind of had that 60s vibe but with a 90s attitude.

Here's a 90s gem for you all.

I forgot about this song for over 20 years until this year, when I saw a Youtube video talking about it. Absolute blast from that past. You may not recognize it by title, I certainly didn't, but if you were there, you know that riff.

That was big when I was a delivery driver so I heard it a lot on the radio. It's good song. It always cracked me up that that riff is basically the Darth Vader theme.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

:laughing: never noticed that.

Only God knows.

Another one that was big during my delivery driver days:

Don't remember that one tbh. I know the name but never heard the song before.

Only God knows.

Another gem.

I actually prefer this remix, this is the one that was very, very famous here. I only heard the original for the first time a couple of years ago.

Fatboy Slim remix is best imo.

Only God knows.

The bit in the cubicle with the skeletons having sex shocked me when I first saw it.

I was about 9.

Great tune and video though. Chemical Brothers have some really good stuff from the 90s.

Only God knows.

Love the Chemical Bros, and that whole wave of 90s electronica and big beat in general. The Prodigy, The Crystal Method, Fatboy Slim, Moby, Mr. Oizo, a lot of that stuff still bangs despite most of it being extremely 90s.

I still remember my mom walking into my room circa 2000 and seeing my Napstered MP3 of The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" on my screen. She was absolutely mortified, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Mr. Oizo, Crystal Method and Smack My Bitch Up, actually impressed you're well aware of those. I know Crystal Method are American but didn't know these were well known over there?

The video for SMBU isn't on YouTube any more. That was another one I loved.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 10, 2023, 03:12 AMMr. Oizo, Crystal Method and Smack My Bitch Up, actually impressed you're well aware of those. I know Crystal Method are American but didn't know these were well known over there?

The video for SMBU isn't on YouTube any more. That was another one I loved.

I discovered a couple of those retroactively in the mid-late 2000s, but I was actually a huge internet junkie in the 90s/00s and an early adopter of Napster, so yeah I actually did have a bit of exposure to some of that stuff through the dumb luck of browsing the janky early web. Our family got off dialup in 2001 as well, which drastically increased the rate of discovery of music.

It was kind of a crapshoot, but I did get exposure to a lot of crazy stuff, that's one reason my tastes were always really all over the place, even to this day really. I didn't really think in terms of genres or aesthetics back then. 11 year old me just thought the line "smack my bitch up" was so edgy and cool, and the song just bangs regardless of genre.

Unrestricted internet access is a hell of a drug when you're a kid, haha.

Edit: Now I want to create a 90s internet nostalgia thread. Just a sec...

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 10, 2023, 03:12 AMMr. Oizo, Crystal Method and Smack My Bitch Up, actually impressed you're well aware of those. I know Crystal Method are American but didn't know these were well known over there? 

They were pretty popular over here.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Propellerheads yet!

#25 Jun 10, 2023, 04:14 AM Last Edit: Jun 10, 2023, 04:24 AM by Lexi Darling
I definitely remember The Prodigy at least being pretty well known here, yeah. Though looking back I think I was probably the odd one out knowing them in my 6th grade class when most people were listening to Nsync or Eminem or Limp Bizkit, depending on what kind of kid you were, on a scale of increasing edginess I guess, haha.

Though thinking a bit more about it I actually think I might be getting my chronology messed up, I don't think I got into The Prodigy specifically until around 2002-03. I remember listening to them in middle school which was 2000-2003 for me. I do have a pretty good memory generally, but it's starting to become so long ago now that my mental wires get crossed sometimes.

Going back to the early 90s, Extreme's "More Than Words" came out at the end of 8th grade for me and was inescapable. It felt like it was played more than once per school dance, and when I went to an academic camp in the summer between 8th grad and freshman year, I swear it was played at every event we had.

It's all fun and games until the hair metal band breaks out the acoustic guitars.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

From the people that brought you "Tubthumping" comes this underrated gem. I actually had this album on CD back in the late 90s, bizarrely enough. Pretty musically eclectic stuff for mainstream pop rock, the electro-disco beat mixed with rock guitars and trumpets is a cool combination IMO.

And if you aren't familiar with the band, their history is a wild trip to look into. They went from an anarchist punk band with album titles like "Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records" to being remembered as cheesy 90s one-hit wonder.