my older sister was be jamming- Snoop dogg and selena

my dad liked- black Sabbath and led zepplin

this was all around when i was a kid 1994ish

=-=-=-=-

somehow the first cds i got were - Prodigy and KORN and Rage aganist the machine

and the rest is HISSSTORRYYYY !!!!   

i would say Led zeppelin turned me on to the beatles ...and when i heard them i was like this is the starting point of rock for most people and this shitt is like god teir rock it might not get better then this  :P 

Quote from: Norg on Jun 06, 2023, 10:29 AMmy older sister was be jamming- Snoop dogg and selena

my dad liked- black Sabbath and led zepplin

this was all around when i was a kid 1994ish

=-=-=-=-

somehow the first cds i got were - Prodigy and KORN and Rage aganist the machine

and the rest is HISSSTORRYYYY !!!!   

i would say Led zeppelin turned me on to the beatles ...and when i heard them i was like this is the starting point of rock for most people and this shitt is like god teir rock it might not get better then this  :P 

What's your favorite Prodigy record?

For me it's Music for the Jilted Generation

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

idk i cant really say jilted yes is the ol school fan fav classic but they newer stuff tourist and my emeny i can see how the modernized  all there albums are pretty different

i need to check out there current stuff TBO im curious amor and city hustle

When I was in 8th grade, I found the cassette of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey in my older brother's truck. I listened and my mind was completely blown. For me at the time, fast and loud music was Slayer and Death and electronic music was Depeche Mode and MARRS. The idea that something could sound electronic and be aggressive was almost inconceivable. I completely changed what I thought was possible in music.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jun 10, 2023, 08:16 PMWhen I was in 8th grade, I found the cassette of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey in my older brother's truck. I listened and my mind was completely blown. For me at the time, fast and loud music was Slayer and Death and electronic music was Depeche Mode and MARRS. The idea that something could sound electronic and be aggressive was almost inconceivable. I completely changed what I thought was possible in music.

That's so dope! The band that kinda did the same thing for me was Nine Inch Nails, and because of discovering them I got interested in synthesizers and being in bands. I knew electronic music, I loved Daft Punk at the time for example, but the fact that NIN was a blend of electronics/synths/drum machines/samples and the kind of edgy guitar rock music I loved at the time was what opened my eyes. This would have been around 2001 or early 2002, so 7th grade I believe.

I was more into the industrial rock side of things as a teenager, but it's kind of cool because Mr. Waffles was into industrial too, but he was into the more purely electronic side of it, like cybergoth-ish kind of stuff. I've seen pictures of him in the early 2000s in full Matrix gear, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 10, 2023, 09:29 PMThat's so dope! The band that kinda did the same thing for me was Nine Inch Nails, and because of discovering them I got interested in synthesizers and being in bands. I knew electronic music, I loved Daft Punk at the time for example, but the fact that NIN was a blend of electronics/synths/drum machines/samples and the kind of edgy guitar rock music I loved at the time was what opened my eyes. This would have been around 2001 or early 2002, so 7th grade I believe.

I was more into the industrial rock side of things as a teenager, but it's kind of cool because Mr. Waffles was into industrial too, but he was into the more purely electronic side of it, like cybergoth-ish kind of stuff. I've seen pictures of him in the early 2000s in full Matrix gear, haha.

I was actually already a Nine Inch Nails fan when I first heard Land of Rape and Honey but at that time the only NIN album was Pretty Hate Machine, which was not really that far off from Depeche Mode to me. My next steps into the world of industrial (which I later learned wasn't even real industrial) in the following year were Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Pigface, KMFDM, Front 242, and Godlfesh. In some ways I think it was ultimately My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Pigface, and Godlfesh who opened the most doors for me. In later high school and college, I got way deeper into industrial.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jun 10, 2023, 09:43 PMI was actually already a Nine Inch Nails fan when I first heard Land of Rape and Honey but at that time the only NIN album was Pretty Hate Machine, which was not really that far off from Depeche Mode to me. My next steps into the world of industrial (which I later learned wasn't even real industrial) in the following year were Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Pigface, KMFDM, Front 242, and Godlfesh. In some ways I think it was ultimately My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Pigface, and Godlfesh who opened the most doors for me. In later high school and college, I got way deeper into industrial.

I gotcha. For me, the idea of hearing prominent electronic elements in rock music at all was new to me at the time. Or in the case of Pretty Hate Machine, a lot of it is more like electronic music with a rock attitude.

Honestly I personally try not to think or care too much about what incarnations of a genre or sound are "real" or not. All the bands I grew up listening to are fake posers to somebody. As someone who was into emo, pop punk and post-hardcore in the mid-2000s, the internet did not hesitate to let me know all about how none of the bands I liked were "real emo" and how just referring to bands like My Chemical Romance as that word was a cardinal sin against all good music taste. Not saying you're doing that of course.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 10, 2023, 09:58 PMI gotcha. For me, the idea of hearing prominent electronic elements in rock music at all was new to me at the time. Or in the case of Pretty Hate Machine, a lot of it is more like electronic music with a rock attitude.

Honestly I personally try not to think or care too much about what incarnations of a genre or sound are "real" or not. All the bands I grew up listening to are fake posers to somebody. As someone who was into emo, pop punk and post-hardcore in the mid-2000s, the internet did not hesitate to let me know all about how none of the bands I liked were "real emo" and how just referring to bands like My Chemical Romance as that word was a cardinal sin against all good music taste. Not saying you're doing that of course.

Not at all, I still love all the bands I mentioned. I'm not saying they were poseurs, I'm just saying they weren't industrial and most of them wouldn't even have described themselves as industrial. I think Al Jourgensen's preferred term for his music was aggro and Front 242 considered themselves EBM.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jun 10, 2023, 08:16 PMWhen I was in 8th grade, I found the cassette of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey in my older brother's truck. I listened and my mind was completely blown. For me at the time, fast and loud music was Slayer and Death and electronic music was Depeche Mode and MARRS. The idea that something could sound electronic and be aggressive was almost inconceivable. I completely changed what I thought was possible in music.

This description got me intrigued, and I really liked that track when I checked it out, though I haven't worked out their attitude to what they're singing yet: I hope it's derision, not celebration.

I grew up on mainstream pop, which naturally morphed into a liking for mainstream rock, as audience and bands alike made the same transition, (Beatles, Floyd, Yardbirds, etc.). I was also listening to Dylan, Cohen, S & Garfunkel, but at about age 25 all that music began to leave me feeling dissatisfied. I tried a little jazz, but it wasn't until a year later that I bought two albums that made me lose interest in a lot of mainstream music for evs:

+

I hadn't realised it, but I had been looking for a more New Age style of music, before New Age was invented, labelled and scorned by the media (which all happened in quick succession, iirc)

Anyway, pretty soon it was guys like Fahey and Kottke who dominated my record collection and my listening, and that was prob my biggest single change regarding music: instead of picking music from all the recommendations around me, I started actively exploring artists that most people weren't mentioning.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

I used to have a pretty good friend who was really into that fingerstyle guitar stuff. I'm not familiar with any of it by name but my friend played a lot of Fahey material around me so I definitely have an appreciation for that sound.

I tend to gravitate toward the more electronic side of new age, but there's a lot of stuff I love in the more acoustic, Windham Hill kind of area, like George Winston (RIP) and while we're on the subject of guitarists I'm a big fan of Michael Hedges as well (also RIP).

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jun 17, 2023, 03:31 PMAnyway, pretty soon it was guys like Fahey and Kottke who dominated my record collection and my listening, and that was prob my biggest single change regarding music: instead of picking music from all the recommendations around me, I started actively exploring artists that most people weren't mentioning.

Nice! I was introduced to Leo Kottke through a song worked into an official 90-track 3CD DJ set released by Fred Deakin, (1/2 of Lemon Jelly), called The Triptych. The set features Kottke's instrumental cover of "Cripple Creek" from his 1971 album, Mudlark the year before Greenhouse was released.

Good stuff! :)

(I'm like this all the time.)

Thanks for the responses, Mrs. Waffles and ISB !

TBH, I was pretty disappointed by the Windham Hill artists, which started sounding very "samey" to me, but I really enjoyed an album you two were talking about in another thread: Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick, which I took a gamble on when I saw it in a second-hand shop.

For me, Lemon Jelly is about a totally different era: Space Walk,for example, was something I came across on MB, so in the last 5 years or so. I might take a look at that Triptych collection, ISB. Thanks. 

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jun 17, 2023, 03:31 PMThis description got me intrigued, and I really liked that track when I checked it out, though I haven't worked out their attitude to what they're singing yet: I hope it's derision, not celebration.

The title is a reference to the former slogan of a Canadian town.

^ Not the rape I was thinking of ! :laughing:

If I'm talking what got me listening to stuff other than 80s pop music it was Nirvana when I was in middle school, but if we're talking my loves for industrial or electronic music that was probably even further back with video game soundtracks that I listened to as a kid.

But to really answer the question, the album that turned myself upside down and gave me a whole different approach to what I wanted to play and listen to was Sophie's Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides, whose single Ponyboy changed me for the better wanting me to create the most queer the most chaotic ugly progressive music I could possibly make and now I have like 31 albums out thanks Sophie!

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!