Complete or not, gun control should be an obstacle that hopefully might stop such an event or at least lessen its impact.

That regular ass people seem to be able to get assault rifles is mind boggling to me

When do you need an assault rifle? Oh right, when you're shooting up a school. Otherwise, you probably don't need one.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 28, 2023, 06:24 PMComplete or not, gun control should be an obstacle that hopefully might stop such an event or at least lessen its impact.

That regular ass people seem to be able to get assault rifles is mind boggling to me

When do you need an assault rifle? Oh right, when you're shooting up a school. Otherwise, you probably don't need one.

ok

but why should i accept that they belong in the hands of any other

i'm 100% for removing them from the face of the earth completely

once the military and the police disarm "regular ass people" certainly should follow their excellent example

the idea that i should sacrifice my right to own a weapon, any weapon up to and including nuclear bombs, that others own is to suggest that i should respect my own humanity less than theirs

any conversation about disarmament that doesn't start with the government disarming first stops right there for me

that said i am for radical and complete disarmament from nukes to 22s

^I think more in terms of consequences than I do principles.

Like if you have some conflict with the police, the likely consequence of you bringing your own assault rifle into that conflict is you end up getting killed.

If you want good consequences, there are better "weapons" that could be used.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 28, 2023, 06:49 PM
Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 28, 2023, 06:24 PMComplete or not, gun control should be an obstacle that hopefully might stop such an event or at least lessen its impact.

ok

but why should i accept that they belong in the hands of any other

i'm 100% for removing them from the face of the earth completely

once the military and the police disarm "regular ass people" certainly should follow their excellent example

the idea that i should sacrifice my right to own a weapon, any weapon up to and including nuclear bombs, that others own is to suggest that i should respect my own humanity less than theirs

any conversation about disarmament that doesn't start with the government disarming first stops right there for me

that said i am for radical and complete disarmament from nukes to 22s

That's an interesting distinction - because you're right, when 99% of people talk about 'gun control', what they're really talking about is gun centralization. These politicians don't want you to have guns, but they sure as hell want their body guards and police forces to have them. Reminds me of that old XTC tune:

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 28, 2023, 06:58 PM^I think more in terms of consequences than I do principles.

Like if you have some conflict with the police, the likely consequence of you bringing your own assault rifle into that conflict is you end up getting killed.

If you want good consequences, there are better "weapons" that could be used.

if they're also unarmed the chances of nobody getting shot is 100%

right now i'm uninterested in entertaining the consequence of being handcuffed and shot from the inside of my mouth like the man was that i posted in the other thread

so i'm definitely talking about consequences

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/deputies-accused-shoving-guns-mouths-2-black-men-98143955

QuoteIn Mississippi, the police shooting of Michael Corey Jenkins led the Justice Department to open a civil rights investigation into the Rankin County Sheriff's Department. Jenkins said six white deputies burst into a home where he was visiting a friend, and one put a gun in his mouth and fired. Jenkins' hospital records, parts of which he shared with AP, show he had a lacerated tongue and broken jaw.

I'm in favor of Toy Revolver's take.  Bring back the age of swords.

QuoteThese politicians don't want you to have guns, but they sure as hell want their body guards and police forces to have them

oh and listen to them cry about Jan 6

"we felt unsafe"

so do the people who have to walk home at night two miles from the capitol building

banning assault weapons wouldn't change anything

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 28, 2023, 09:13 PM

Why not? It's a start. It might for example start to change people's minds.

The US seems to be the only country in the western world where one might expect a civilian to own an assault rifle. That the US also has a lot of gun violence, maybe it's not completely unrelated.

We have guns too. They're hunting rifles or shotguns for shooting game. Big guns made specifically for scaring and shooting people isn't something you see here, on police or otherwise.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 28, 2023, 09:13 PM

have you ever watched the christchurch gopro footage

you cannot do that with a shotgun

Number of school shootings in the 26 years (9,000+ days) since the UK banned guns after Dunblane - 0

Bans work.

Only God knows.

@tore

Because like you said,  people are picking those guns in part because they're big and scary. The actual tactical advantage you are getting that people point to is kinda besides the point when you are shooting up a building full of unarmed civilians.  As has been proven on multiple occasions,  it's really not much harder if at all to carry out the same attacks using hand guns. If you have a couple loaded clips on hand ready to swap out that's all the firepower you need to gun down 20+ innocent unarmed people. It's literally already happened before.

These same guys who we think are picking the AR-15 from a shrewd tactical advantage will wear a bullet proof vest and then turn themselves in at the first sign of a cop shooting back. So why do they have the vest? Same reason they have the AR. Cause they're staring in a movie in their own head.

You could take away "assault weapons" (which really just refers to scary looking guns) and expend a shit load of political capital to do so,  which in this country it would absolutely be a fight. Then, after doing so,  when we still have roughly the same number of shootings, then what? These mass shootings only make like a tiny fraction of the murders in this country as it stands. So we are hyper focused on the handful of high profile shootings vs the thousands of ordinary shootings, most of which use pistols. And all we are doing even to stop strictly the mass shootings is remove their favorite gun? It feels almost strictly symbolic and it would cost way more political energy than it is actually worth in terms of results. That's my prediction anyway.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 28, 2023, 09:35 PMNumber of school shootings in the 26 years (9,000+ days) since the UK banned guns after Dunblane - 0

Bans work.

banning guns in general can work.  If you live on a shitty little nanny state island like england or Australia. Where people basically have to go through customs to enter the country.

This country is already far too gone for that.  The only way to get to a general gun ban in the US, there would probably be a civil war over that.  Unironically.

I heard Canada is going to be banning pistols or someshit soon. Good luck with that one! You can't share a border with us and expect not to have massive numbers of illegal guns pouring across it,  so long as the demand is there.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 28, 2023, 09:43 PM
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 28, 2023, 09:35 PMNumber of school shootings in the 26 years (9,000+ days) since the UK banned guns after Dunblane - 0

Bans work.

banning guns in general can work.  If you live on a shitty little nanny state island like england or Australia. Where people basically have to go through customs to enter the country.

This country is already far too gone for that.  The only way to get to a general gun ban in the US, there would probably be a civil war over that.  Unironically.

I heard Canada is going to be banning pistols or someshit soon. Good luck with that one! You can't share a border with us and expect not to have massive numbers of illegal guns pouring across it,  so long as the demand is there.

Agree you are too far gone, well for it to work immediately anyway, but it's got to be worth a try. It's madness to do nothing.

Or just give Americans what they think they want for one year and arm every man, woman, child, student, teacher and everything else so every good guy has a gun. Then after the year is up and thousands and thousands of lives have been lost they'll agree how fucking stupid that idea is.

England isn't an island BTW :-X

Only God knows.

QuoteAs has been proven on multiple occasions,  it's really not much harder if at all to carry out the same attacks using hand guns.

dude the velocity from an ar 15 is so powerful that if you get shot in the shoulder the reverberations will destroy your heart

you simply cannot end human life with the sane efficiency with a normal handgun

i don't know what studies you saw but that's as preposterous as weed gets you as high as angel dust or chihuahuas are as dangerous as a dobermans