Fly Away with RFK

I wonder what the "alternative indoor experience with Mr. Kennedy" will be in the event of inclement weather?

Quote from: SGR on Apr 17, 2024, 10:55 PMBiden Says His Uncle May Have Been Eaten by Cannibals
Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 18, 2024, 03:33 PMPinocchio Joe tells yet another tall tale. :laughing:

Another day, another nickname for Biden, am I right?

I try not to post clips of political commentators on here, but I'm making an exception today:-

That loathesome pontificator, Bill Barr said yesterday that he'll be voting for Trump in November, despite having predicted that a second Trump term would be "chaos....a horrorshow". This newsclip from MSNBC has a lot of predictable outrage from the over-talkative Joe Scarborough (a man it is easy to get tired of), but then, at 3:10 mins in, he hands over to Bill Sykes. This guy, imo, provides a welcome reminder of the choice between Presidential candidates facing the US in November, and in particular points out how bizarre the Republican position is now becoming:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Hilariously, I read the line about Biden and the cannibals, saw Lisna refer to a one-line link and say "what a pity there can't be more honesty about this issue" or something, and thought it referred to that link! It was like he was saying, "come on, now! Can't other politicans, on both sides of the aisle, please own up to the fact that their close relatives were eaten by cannibals too? Isn't it time to drop all the pretence and have these stories out in the open?"  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  Oh man, that made my day, even if it was just my misreading of it!

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 20, 2024, 06:30 PMI hope Bobby's got some high-quality body armor.

He better, since Biden won't give him secret service protection.

US House passes $95 billion Ukraine, Israel aid package, sends to Senate

Since this happened on 04/20, I'll just assume congress was high. Actually, that's not fair to stoners, if they were high, they'd probably make better decisions. Funny how when it comes to funding wars, establishment Democrats and establishment Republicans can put all their petty differences aside and unite for a 'patriotic bipartisan bill'.

Just my opinion, but I think Ukraine is a big fat money-laundering scheme (as so many wars are), and the US seems poised to spend itself into oblivion. But on the bright side, I'm sure Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell's stock portfolios are doing well! That'll be a comforting thought, I'm sure, as average Americans rack up credit card debt to buy groceries.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 21, 2024, 09:43 PMUS House passes $95 billion Ukraine, Israel aid package, sends to Senate

Since this happened on 04/20, I'll just assume congress was high. Actually, that's not fair to stoners, if they were high, they'd probably make better decisions. Funny how when it comes to funding wars, establishment Democrats and establishment Republicans can put all their petty differences aside and unite for a 'patriotic bipartisan bill'.

Just my opinion, but I think Ukraine is a big fat money-laundering scheme (as so many wars are), and the US seems poised to spend itself into oblivion. But on the bright side, I'm sure Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell's stock portfolios are doing well! That'll be a comforting thought, I'm sure, as average Americans rack up credit card debt to buy groceries.

I posted this quote in another thread but it's also appropriate here...

The word bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.

- George Carlin

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 21, 2024, 01:41 PMSpeaking of RFK Jr....

RFK Jr.'s quest to get on the presidential ballot in all 50 states

We live in very interesting times. RFK Jr. might end up being only a 'Teddy Roosevelt/Bull Moose' spoiler for either Trump or Biden, but there's a realistic shot he could win depending on what happens. Trump is in legal jeopardy (and he's old), Biden in many ways seems like a lame-duck president, and he's even older. Only a couple dominoes would need to fall the right way for RFK Jr. to have a legitimate shot. That being said, if those dominoes started falling the right way for RFK Jr., I fear we'll eventually wake up to national headlines about some 'totally deranged, lone gunman' with spurious ties to foreign nations who will become infamous by his first, middle, and last name.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 21, 2024, 09:49 PMI posted this quote in another thread but it's also appropriate here...

The word bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.

- George Carlin

As a young man (I suppose at 29, I'm still young, but I guess I mean as a teenager and young 20-something where I was trying to formulate my worldview), George Carlin really influenced me politically in a big way. If you couldn't tell, I'm rather disillusioned and cynical about American politics. He was a national treasure. RIP.

Not a dime of all that $95 billion going to our border, of course.

One other thing about RFK Jr.

I feel bad for the guy. His family fucking sucks.

Kennedy family members endorse Biden in stinging rebuke to RFK Jr

Now I get if they privately thought Biden would be a better choice than RFK Jr., but a baseline expectation would be that your own family wouldn't come out and endorse your opposition. The worst case scenario, in a normal family (you'd think), is that they gave no public endorsements, rather than actively rebuking RFK Jr. My family would never do that to me, for example. I'd hope most healthy families wouldn't do that to their own.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 21, 2024, 09:43 PMJust my opinion, but I think Ukraine is a big fat money-laundering scheme (as so many wars are), and the US seems poised to spend itself into oblivion. But on the bright side, I'm sure Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell's stock portfolios are doing well! That'll be a comforting thought, I'm sure, as average Americans rack up credit card debt to buy groceries.

I understand your point, SGR, but I think "spend itself into oblivion" is a overstating things, especially if this 2022 chart is accurate or relevant:-

At $95 B, the proposed spending is about 1% of total 2022 spending. The cash will be split between 3 international allies (Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan), with Ukraine getting $60 B. Very generous of the US, but it's a pretty slim slice of pizza on the pie chart.

Here's another chart that might alleviate the sting of US spending on Ukraine: by percentage of GDP, the US is squarely in the middle of the pack:

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 21, 2024, 09:49 PMI posted this quote in another thread but it's also appropriate here...

- George Carlin

^ :laughing: Brilliant! As George Carlin often is.
Quote from: SGR on Apr 21, 2024, 09:50 PMNot a dime of all that $95 billion going to our border, of course.

^ As you said elsewhere, SGR, you and I seem to be going round in a loop trying to find the blame for this funding shortfall at the border.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 21, 2024, 09:57 PMOne other thing about RFK Jr.

I feel bad for the guy. His family fucking sucks.

Kennedy family members endorse Biden in stinging rebuke to RFK Jr

Now I get if they privately thought Biden would be a better choice than RFK Jr., but a baseline expectation would be that your own family wouldn't come out and endorse your opposition. The worst case scenario, in a normal family (you'd think), is that they gave no public endorsements, rather than actively rebuking RFK Jr. My family would never do that to me, for example. I'd hope most healthy families wouldn't do that to their own.

^ Are we destined to come to opposite conclusions on every political story, SGR ? :(
I don't know the details of this news item, but it certainly throws up a red flag for someone: do we red-flag all 15 members of RFK's family, or do we red-flag RFK ? To me, just by the numbers, it's more likely that RFK is at fault, how else would their disapproval be so uniform? 

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

I'm not familiar with all the details, but from what I did read I wouldn't waste too much sympathy on RFKJ. as his family, from what I understand, distanced themselves from his Nazi-supporting, right wing, Covid-denying, sonspiracy theories supporting (and advancing) and all but right wing views, and in an attempt not to allow their legacy and name to be shit on by a right wing in all but name nutjob. I'd have done the same in their position.