Starting my threads over again  :pimp: Here's one of my favorites. Considering dropping $200 to see them Sunday at Boston Calling.

I'm not much for new songs coming out at shows, but here's the best we've got for a second track on the new album:

If you haven't heard Gila Monster, check it out.

I've always been kinda curious about this band. My sister lives in Melbourne where they're from, she saw them live down there and said they put on an excellent show.

But they have a huge discography and from what I know they switch styles very frequently. Any recommendations for a beginner? Perhaps a smattering of tracks from the various styles they do?

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#3 Jun 05, 2023, 02:40 AM Last Edit: Jun 05, 2023, 02:47 AM by TheBig3
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 04, 2023, 08:32 PMI've always been kinda curious about this band. My sister lives in Melbourne where they're from, she saw them live down there and said they put on an excellent show.

But they have a huge discography and from what I know they switch styles very frequently. Any recommendations for a beginner? Perhaps a smattering of tracks from the various styles they do?

Right so, I didn't know you were in a relationship, and now I find out that you're maybe from Australian. Anyway the point is, I don't know what music you're into. I'm a crappy forum friend. If you want to tell me I can try to tailor some picks to your interests. But for me the songs that I love are:

• Planet B (thrashier sounding)
  • Iron Lung (psychadelic jam music, judge this one after the first listen)
  • Slow Jam 1 (I think of this as Lofi like Ariel Pink, but I don't know what the public consensus is here)
  • Muckraker (sounds to me like indie rock/pop. Maybe a bit Dandy Warhol-ish)
  • Robot Stop (this is a bit more...garage?)
  • Ambergris (A bit like 70s soul, more in line with Marvin Gaye than other songs I've heard)

I sort of treat these guys like Frank Zappa. There aren't really "singles" - there's just sort of vibes on this album. But hey, I'd love to know what you think. In the mean I'll try to be a better neighbor.

Edit: I'm going to keep adding to this list for any different styles in case you, or future people who decide to post in this GREAT bands thread will have a resource.

Quote from: TheBig3 on Jun 05, 2023, 02:40 AMRight so, I didn't know you were in a relationship, and now I find out that you're maybe from Australian. Anyway the point is, I don't know what music you're into. I'm a crappy forum friend. If you want to tell me I can try to tailor some picks to your interests. But for me the songs that I love are:

• Planet B (thrashier sounding)
  • Iron Lung (psychadelic jam music, judge this one after the first listen)
  • Slow Jam 1 (I think of this as Lofi like Ariel Pink, but I don't know what the public consensus is here)
  • Muckraker (sounds to me like indie rock/pop. Maybe a bit Dandy Warhol-ish)
  • Robot Stop (this is a bit more...garage?)

I sort of treat these guys like Frank Zappa. There aren't really "singles" - there's just sort of vibes on this album. But hey, I'd love to know what you think. In the mean I'll try to be a better neighbor.

Don't sweat it! It is a good idea to give you a general ballpark of my tastes. I'm fairly wide ranging, but I tend to gravitate toward various psychedelic, electronic, heavy, and ambient styles. But I can vibe with a lot of stuff. I will check out those tracks, thank you!

I'm honored that you consider me a forum friend! I'm not from Australia, my sister moved there in 2018 to pursue a career in music venue management. Because of her job she gets to see a lot of shows at the venue she works at, and that King Gizzard show was one of them. Thanks again for your response and recommendations!

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 05, 2023, 02:51 AMI'm not from Australia, my sister moved there in 2018 to pursue a career in music venue management. Because of her job she gets to see a lot of shows at the venue she works at

Jesus, what a badass. Good for her.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 05, 2023, 02:51 AMThanks again for your response and recommendations!

Any time. I hope you find something you enjoy.

QuoteJesus, what a badass. Good for her.

Yeah, I'm jealous of her getting to live there sometimes. It is kind of funny though, both me and my sister have college degrees in music, and yet we were mostly raised by our mom, who was not really an avid music listener and can't hold a tune to save her life. Weird how that worked out, haha.

QuoteAny time. I hope you find something you enjoy.

:thumb:

I'm sorry to keep doing this but they keep dropping bangers. This one didn't hit me immediately, but by the end of the 9 minutes I was coming around. I suspect after a few more I'll love it.

This song is like Freebird if the ontro was 2/3rds of the song, and Freebird didn't suck.