Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 12, 2023, 09:38 PMthat's fine the rating I mean. It's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea. I thought you'd appreciate the backing choir vocals on a couple of the tracks. There is another slower one near the end when he talks about his mother and grandmother.

^ Thanks, DJ. I'll look for those slower tracks you mention. :thumb:

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Killer Mike - Michael

This was an enjoyable album. I liked the gospel choir flourishes here and there, and there's some production elements that really stuck in my head, such as the bassline on "Run". I also enjoyed the features from Cee-Lo Green and Andre 3000. I appreciate that a lot of the production feels a lot more timeless, like a more classic era rap album, despite some decidedly not classic-sounding artists like Young Thug and Future being featured as well. I feel like I would be able to absorb this more if I had been paying closer attention to the lyrics, but I was listening to this while I was preparing the kitchen and chopping vegetables for dinner. A Mrs. Waffles's work is never done after all. But on the whole I thought this was a pretty solid listen even if it didn't blow me away or anything. 7/10

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I had a super busy past two weeks so I didn't get around to King Gorm's self titled but I will force myself to this week along with Lisna's album

Blops - Locomotora (1973)

That's right folks we are switching to a new album for the next two weeks. Blops is the current album to listen to and discuss.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 12, 2023, 06:33 PMI have to say, my heart sank a little to realise I was in for an album of largely rap, because I don't enjoy that kind of rapid-fire delivery of lines. It wears me out, and I find myself saying, "If you want me to register the words, please slow down!"

You might like southern rap because they tend to rap super slow. They even have a style where they intentionally slow down the record even more called Screwed.  I guess you weren't ever a fan of Eminem or other white rappers that thinks that speed when delivering lyrics means skill. There are other rappers besides white ones that do it as well but it's kind of a thing that a large majority of white rappers gravitate towards. Busta Rhymes and Twista are two that hop to mind that also do the whole speed thing. The difference with Busta Rhymes is that he doesn't do it for a full song usually. He takes a break and maybe just does one verse high speed then raps at regular pacing.

I'm sorry y'all. I have to take a hiatus from this. I've been really busy with work and I'm trying to purchase my first house with my wife. I just don't have as much time to properly listen and write about albums as I used to. I'll be back though, I promise.

Quote from: SGR on Sep 26, 2023, 01:19 AMI'm sorry y'all. I have to take a hiatus from this. I've been really busy with work and I'm trying to purchase my first house with my wife. I just don't have as much time to properly listen and write about albums as I used to. I'll be back though, I promise.

No problem man, we'll always be here. Go get that house!

That's a real loss to our club, SGR, but it's obviously no contest: buying a house is an exciting, sometimes stressful time, and I hope it all works out well for you and your wife.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 25, 2023, 11:43 AMYou might like southern rap because they tend to rap super slow. They even have a style where they intentionally slow down the record even more called Screwed.  I guess you weren't ever a fan of Eminem or other white rappers that thinks that speed when delivering lyrics means skill. There are other rappers besides white ones that do it as well but it's kind of a thing that a large majority of white rappers gravitate towards. Busta Rhymes and Twista are two that hop to mind that also do the whole speed thing. The difference with Busta Rhymes is that he doesn't do it for a full song usually. He takes a break and maybe just does one verse high speed then raps at regular pacing.

Yep ! Correct in your guess, DJ.
Thanks for the advice about slower rap, and also thanks for updating the club for us.

Blops - Locomotora

This was a pretty colorful piece of mostly instrumental prog/fusion. I'm generally not the hottest on freeform stuff like this; it was pleasant, but it just kind of felt like a musical salad to me, a bunch of random musical ideas that didn't really seem like they fit together naturally or cohesively. I listen to a lot of stuff that sounds like this in terms of texture, so I think a tighter composition style would have made me enjoy this a lot more.

6.5/10

QuoteLocomotura by Los Blops

Lado A
"Allegro Ma Non Troppo" (Pepe Romeu) -12:44
"Tartaleta de Frutilla" (Eduardo Gatti) -9:00
Lado B
"Locomotora" (Blops) -5:27
"Pirómano" (Juan Carlos Villegas) -5:34
"Sandokán" (Juan Contreras) -9:12

This is essentially an instrumental album (apart from a few la-la-las ) with 5 tracks which run together so well that I don't bother to distinguish them. There aren't any grand memorable themes, and I haven't noticed any proper closing crecendoes either; instead, I think of Locomotura as one long studio jam, which it could almost be.* There's plenty of top-notch soloing and a steady pace that never really falters, which is maybe why they put a train on the cover and gave it that title - it's like a non-stop musical ride with a reassuring rhythm that's persistent but varied at the same time, if such a thing is possible.

Most noticeable is that a flute is the lead instrument on most tracks, which gives the music a lighter feel than you get from most jam or prog bands. Next instruments that I noticed were the drums and organ, while an elec guitar only comes in after 15 mins, and for the first half of the album the guitarist just contributes a bit of colour or highlighting and doesn't grab the main stage at all.

About half-way through, we come to the title track, which has some strange sounds and from here on the music has more of a "real" prog feel; faster tempo, more aggressive guitar and organ, and in fact the whole album has a slow build to it, so that by the end they actually rise to a proper rock riff or two. The flute has been laid aside and by the last track there is some fast and furious playing from the guitarist and organ player. Really commendable to me is the way they have waited until the end to pull out all the stops and show us just how well they can rock when they want to.

Probably clear by now that I know next to nothing about music, so describing this album is a struggle for me and the best thing to do is listen to it yourself: loud to hear the details, or low-vol as bubbling background music. It's a great album in both modes, so 9/10 from me.

* Apparently recorded in 14 hours, so yeah, that's why it has that uncluttered, small-line-up sound.   

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 27, 2023, 07:43 PMBlops - Locomotora

This was a pretty colorful piece of mostly instrumental prog/fusion. I'm generally not the hottest on freeform stuff like this; it was pleasant, but it just kind of felt like a musical salad to me, a bunch of random musical ideas that didn't really seem like they fit together naturally or cohesively. I listen to a lot of stuff that sounds like this in terms of texture, so I think a tighter composition style would have made me enjoy this a lot more.

6.5/10

^ Thanks for listening and commenting, Mrs. Waffles, and for helping to keep the album club alive. You are the first person with whom I have ever discussed this album. :thumb:

That's good, isn't it? I like the album because of the loose approach and lack of explicit musical themes and structure, and those are the things you'd like more of. :laughing: 

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 01, 2023, 04:21 AM^ Thanks for listening and commenting, Mrs. Waffles, and for helping to keep the album club alive. You are the first person with whom I have ever discussed this album. :thumb:

That's good, isn't it? I like the album because of the loose approach and lack of explicit musical themes and structure, and those are the things you'd like more of. :laughing: 

No problem! I try my best to keep up with the club since I have so much time to multitask listening to these albums.

Yeah, I do admit I struggle with a lot of more freeform stuff outside of pure ambient (especially free jazz). I like the epic symphonic compositions of prog rock, I like the hypnotic trance-like sequences of Berlin school electronic music, but usually there has to be a bit of structure for me, something for my brain to latch onto or follow along with. This album felt just a bit too loose and noodly for my usual tastes.

But there definitely were things I liked about it and I do like the angle you described of it being like a non-stop ride. At any rate I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Maybe having a bit more familiarity upon a re-listen will do it good to my ears.

Blops - Locomotora

I don't know if me being sick contributed to me enjoying this way more than I thought I would but it's ace. I also played the new Lil Wayne album right before listening to that. So maybe the contrast also helped as well.

I listened to this while zoning out in bed covered up in blankets and it was just so cozy to listen to. It really set the mood for a nice rest session which is funny because at times during the album it does sound like a cacophony is going on but I was feeling it so much. I'm going to toss some jazz on next and see how it feels to my ears. Yes, I know this album wasn't really jazz but the influence is there I guess. Of having the instrumentation being all over the place well free form jazz I should specify.

:5stars:

Good one Lisna.

^ Sorry to hear that you've been sick, DJ, and I hope you're feeling better now.

Thanks for the positive review! I was concerned that you wouldn't like Locomotora as your recommendations are most often in a very different style, so I was happily surprised that you enjoyed it so much. In fact you describe very well how I like to listen to this album: relax, don't focus too much, and just let the music weave through your mind, as your mind weaves through the music. In that mood, the lack of lyrics, memorable themes, or catchy melodies actually becomes a virtue, even though, as you say, there's still plenty going on musically. 

That's an interesting point. I feel like maybe I was trying to focus too much on the album, it was loud and energetic enough to grab my attention but it just confused me when I was trying to follow it and kinda pin it down and it just kept going on musical tangents. I think I'll throw it on in a bit during my chores today and treat it more as background music and see if I end up enjoying it more.

Thanks for being prepared to give it another try, Mrs. Waffles :thumb:

I'll be interested to hear if it sounds any better to you this time round- but don't worry if it still doesn't do much for you. As you said in your first comments, there are other albums with a similar, noodly feel, and even I can't say precisely why this one has become a favourite.