#15 Dec 02, 2023, 12:38 AM Last Edit: Dec 02, 2023, 12:43 AM by ribbons
Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 01, 2023, 04:27 PMOne thing that is kinda funny about getting bigger and beefier is I think that's definitely a body type that appeals more to other dudes who lift weights than to women.

Like my wife probably doesn't find me more attractive if I get a bigger chest or thicker arms, but maybe it could impress male friends or some dude in a gym 😄

My former husband starting bodybuilding after we separated, and became pretty obsessed with it.  Nothing wrong with that, of course; but judging by the difference in his appearance over time, I believe he was taking steroids.  And if he did in fact use steroids, it had a really bad effect on his personality and made him extra-aggressive.

Quote from: ribbons on Dec 02, 2023, 12:38 AMMy former husband starting bodybuilding after we separated, and became pretty obsessed with it.  Nothing wrong with that, of course; but judging by the difference in his appearance over time, I believe he was taking steroids.  And if he did in fact use steroids, it had a really bad effect on his personality and made him extra-aggressive.

An extra aggressive bodybuilder actually sounds quite scary as a partner 😬 I hope you were safe 😢

Those hormones change so many other things than muscle mass, it just seems kinda crazy to me. I realize people want to have bigger muscles, but do they also wanna change their whole personality?

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Dec 01, 2023, 04:57 PM

Seems accurate!

Happiness is a warm manatee

I've never known anyone who took steroids, but "roid rage" is a term that exists for a reason I'd imagine. And if they're anything like the hormones I take, I'm sure they did affect his personality.

My hormones did not really change the core of my personality, but they did make me a bit more pensive and better at reflection; I feel a lot less impulsive and levelheaded now. The most interesting thing was how much they changed my sensory perceptions, colors got brighter, my thoughts got more vivid, it was like the hormones lifted a thick fog I didn't even know was there.

Chemicals are powerful things.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Dec 02, 2023, 02:09 AMI've never known anyone who took steroids, but "roid rage" is a term that exists for a reason I'd imagine. And if they're anything like the hormones I take, I'm sure they did affect his personality.

My hormones did not really change the core of my personality, but they did make me a bit more pensive and better at reflection; I feel a lot less impulsive and levelheaded now. The most interesting thing was how much they changed my sensory perceptions, colors got brighter, my thoughts got more vivid, it was like the hormones lifted a thick fog I didn't even know was there.

Chemicals are powerful things.

Yes and I assume you're on a treatment plan made by medical professionals.

Maybe roiders are on good plans too, but I just assume they do things a bit more willy nilly.. and that they might be incentivized to up dosage 🤔

Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 02, 2023, 02:22 AMYes and I assume you're on a treatment plan made by medical professionals.

Maybe roiders are on good plans too, but I just assume they do things a bit more willy nilly.. and that they might be incentivized to up dosage 🤔

Oh, absolutely. I'm sure there are perfectly normal and grounded steroid users out there but I know what it's like to get irresponsible with dosage of substances all too well.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I've never taken steroids and I hope I never do but it is tempting when you know there is something that can drastically increase your gains in a short time. Going by everything I've seen users say it sounds like unless you're trying to compete professionally then there is no need to do it. There are plenty of people who take steroids but it isn't noticeable because they don't put the work in in the other areas.

This is a good insight into the life of a roider and isn't long:

I was watching lots of videos on steroids and when they became available to get an idea of what one can look like naturally, this is a great video:

Only God knows.

The roided physique is much too big and unathletic. A problem I have with it is in human evolutionary history, we never needed that size and being so big would generally come at the expense of being less athletic which is more useful.

It's like people with arms so big they can lift a wrecking ball, but they can't lift and bend their arms enough to change the lightbulb over their head. A bit of hyperbole to make a point, maybe, but I do think the ideal physique should be good at running, climbing, swimming and should be useful for overcoming the sort of physical challenges humans have had to face through human evolutionary history.. which wasn't pushing a barbell straight up while lying down 😄

So I definitely think of that kind of bodybuilding ideal as seemingly based in mere possibility (the max size) rather than grounded in usefulness / utility (the optimal size).

#22 Dec 02, 2023, 07:51 AM Last Edit: Dec 02, 2023, 07:57 AM by Guybrush
I've tried my hand at a bit of rock climbing, so something I consider an amazing feat of strength is Adam Ondra's climb in this video from about 11 minutes in.

Overhang is hard and it's crazy the positions where he manages to sorta lock in and find a second or two rest.

It's a strength based purely on utility and the resulting body looks very thin and gangly compared to bodybuilders 😄

Btw, I wouldn't say Ondra has a hugely attractive body either, but it's probably close to optimal for what he has to do and it's interesting how different it is from lifters bodies.