It would be interesting to see a referendum on something like this. Has there ever been any kind of opinion poll on gun control?

Going entirely off my discussions with my American friends online it does seem like a majority are pro gun. I could be wrong but I dunno.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 04, 2023, 05:59 PMWhy does it seem like the US wants more gun violence instead of less? Nuts.

About Finland, I'm glad that Putin's plans seem to backfire so hard. That's what you get when you create a world of lies, I guess.

i'm not against gun violence- i'm against the wrong people falling victim to it - right to carry is the right to equalize

this is especially liberating for black women in poor neighborhoods

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 04, 2023, 06:36 PMIt would be interesting to see a referendum on something like this. Has there ever been any kind of opinion poll on gun control?

Going entirely off my discussions with my American friends online it does seem like a majority are pro gun. I could be wrong but I dunno.

just want to say anyone who supports continuing arming the police and military are pro gun

i'm the only one i know who supports completely disarming the government which makes me the only gun control advocate as well

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 04, 2023, 06:36 PMIt would be interesting to see a referendum on something like this. Has there ever been any kind of opinion poll on gun control?

Here's a poll from Pew: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/09/13/key-facts-about-americans-and-guns/

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 04, 2023, 06:58 PM

Here's a poll from Pew: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/09/13/key-facts-about-americans-and-guns/

Fair enough seems about even then, I'm pleasantly surprised only 6% of the respondents think there is no problem with gun violence in the US.

So most people accept there is.

That's a good place to start.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 04, 2023, 06:50 PM
Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 04, 2023, 05:59 PMWhy does it seem like the US wants more gun violence instead of less? Nuts.

About Finland, I'm glad that Putin's plans seem to backfire so hard. That's what you get when you create a world of lies, I guess.

i'm not against gun violence- i'm against the wrong people falling victim to it - right to carry is the right to equalize

this is especially liberating for black women in poor neighborhoods

As the old saying goes: "They say God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal"

Hysterical. I hope every company announces support for trans people so conservatives won't be able to buy any products.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Apr 05, 2023, 03:27 PMHysterical. I hope every company announces support for trans people so conservatives won't be able to buy any products.

way more beer is sold at gay friendly nightclubs than at washed up midlife crisis concerts

sorry conservatives capitalism isn't going to save you on this one

Maybe they can usher in a new era of prohibition.  :laughing: For conservatives only. While the rest of us get on with our lives. 
:beer:

Light beer, to be fair, is kinda meh.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Apr 06, 2023, 01:23 AMLight beer, to be fair, is kinda meh.

It's like sex in a canoe.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 06, 2023, 01:50 AM
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Apr 06, 2023, 01:23 AMLight beer, to be fair, is kinda meh.

It's like sex in a canoe.

Fun and outdoorsy.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

#269 Apr 06, 2023, 02:53 AM Last Edit: Apr 06, 2023, 03:26 AM by Jwb
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 04, 2023, 07:48 PM
Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 04, 2023, 06:58 PM

Fair enough seems about even then, I'm pleasantly surprised only 6% of the respondents think there is no problem with gun violence in the US.

So most people accept there is.

That's a good place to start.
its not a good place to start if by that you mean that we can eventually ban guns in this country.

I'm not trying to sound condescending here but most Europeans and brits really don't understand how firmly entrenched guns are in our society.

It would take a constitutional amendment to get rid of gun rights. That's simply not going to happen.  We have a better chance of seeing a genuine revolution or civil war than we do of peacefully banning  guns in the United States.

There are minor things that can potentially be done and should be done like tweaking the red flag laws,  background checks etc.  But it won't make a dent in the 10 thousand or so gun murders a year.

Another thing i wanted to mention.  From the pew article:

QuoteFor example, a majority of Republicans who don't own a gun (57%) say they favor creating a federal government database to track all gun sales, ...

Honestly i feel like this is one thing that could make an actual difference: a properly enforced database for gun registry that holds people accountable for maintaining the possession of their gun . In other words,  if it's sold, stolen, misplaced etc all of that should be something you have to register with a state agency.  This is to try to make it harder for people to just buy guns through the legal market and then turn around and sell them on the black market with scratched off serial numbers so they can be used in murders and wiped for prints and thrown in a river. Then they can't be traced.

If you were to use your gun which is in your name in a murder,  it can potentially be traced back to you through ballistic forensics. Fortunately for all the gang members in this country,  it's currently very easy to get an illegal gun that is not linked to your name in any way because any attempt to monitor gun sales is just "the first step to them rounding up gun owners and taking their guns." And if you listen to the right, it's supposedly crucially important we don't ever allow that to happen cause then tyranny! Hitler and Mao banned guns etc.  It's all a bunch of happy horseshit that people just repeat mindlessly.

Meanwhile we've gone hundreds of years without any body ever successfully revolting against our government.  We live in a virtual police state. We have the patriot act and the NSA. And when armed citizens do take to the streets they're much more likely to terrorize other civilians than they are to ever stand up for anybodys rights.  If anything,  guns just give us the illusion of power. Which keeps us complacent. What's the point of a gun if you're not going to use it?