MAY 2023 SCD WRITING CONTEST: Mourning-loss

Maximum words: 700
Minimum Words: None
Judges: Rubber Soul, Trollheart(?), TBD.

Submission guidelines: Submissions will be limited to no more than 700 words not including the title. Submissions also must follow the monthly theme in some way. This month the theme is mourning-loss.

The contest will begin on May 2 and end on May 23 at 5AM Greenwich Mean Time. You can use this converter https://dateful.com/time-zone-converter to check the time in your time zone. Judging will then occur from 5AM GMT, May 23 to 5AM GMT, May 29. The results will be posted on May 31.

All entries will be PMed to Rubber Soul and posted anonymously.

Judges: In a perfect would, three members will be used as judges to determine the quality of the entries. The entries shall be judged on three criteria: grammar and punctuation (one should note that the English and Americans sometimes have different spellings), how the story flows- does it seem plausible, and basically whether you like the story or not. You can weigh the parameters any way you wish. Scores will be on a scale of 1 to 10.

Judges may also enter the contest with the caveat that he/she will not score or critique his/her own entry. Judges will PM their results to Rubber Soul, and he will post the results on March 31.

And I think that's it. Happy writing, everybody. 😊

•    Please don't make any comments until after the judging is over. Thanks.

The Word has spoken :D

PS- I still need judges, at least one.

The Word has spoken :D

Let's do an August or September Edition

We can do an August edition but someone has to take the lead to establish deadlines and topic choices etc.

I would do it but I'm heading up the album club so someone else can step up.

I was this cool the whole time.

I'd be interested. As far as I know there's nothing uniquely pressing on my schedule for August and I've actually been doing a lot of writing in my personal life lately so I think I could step up in RS's stead if everyone is okay with it.

Did we ever end up doing the "mourning" theme? I only did the "insanity" theme before I had to check out. If not, I think it's only fair that we use the theme that was decided on previously, unless anyone wants to put it to a vote.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Since no one is really interested in doing a writing contest here besides Mrs. Waffles and Mucha.

This Rhyming Story Challenge seems interesting.

You have to pay to register but there is a possibility to win cash prizes.

https://www.nycmidnight.com/rhyme

I was this cool the whole time.

#6 Sep 13, 2023, 12:21 AM Last Edit: Sep 13, 2023, 03:31 AM by degrassi.knoll
I'm interested it's just that my time is limited. Maybe it would be more feasible to limit entries to under 100 words or something like that. It's difficult to flesh out a full piece with time constraints and some of us are too perfectionist to submit rough drafts lol.

Edit: just realized there was a word limit already lol ignore me