Ask whatever you want to know and hopefully someone who's good at computers would answer!

I want to know if there's a way to remove someone from "frequently contacted" list on Whatsapp that pops up when you press the "new chat" button. From what I see on google, the solution is to clear/delete your chat with that contact or to reinstall the app.

But what if that's too extreme? I both want to keep my chat with that contact AND not have them pop up in "frequently contacted" when I hand over my phone to someone so that they could write down they name in the contacts in Whatsapp?

Why don't I just open the contacts app (the one you make calls through) and have the person write down their phone there, without having to see my Whatsapp? Good question. Because my phone and Whatsapp are on two different numbers. My Whatsapp is on my Canadian number while the phone is on the local one. So you need to write them down differently (minus country code for the phone, with country code on Whatsapp).

Hope this is comprehensible and thanks!

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I'm a somewhat capable nerd, but not with WhatsApp. I may be able to help out with other sorts of nerd related problems.

Like.. I'm good at useful Excel functions, can program a little and I know how to self host a forum 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 17, 2023, 11:42 PMLike.. I'm good at useful Excel functions...

Does that translate into knowing Google Sheets functions? If so, I have a question.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 18, 2023, 12:03 AMDoes that translate into knowing Google Sheets functions? If so, I have a question.

Yes, there is a lot of overlap even though they're not exactly alike in terms of functionality.

Fire away 🙂

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 18, 2023, 01:52 AMYes, there is a lot of overlap even though they're not exactly alike in terms of functionality.

Fire away 🙂

I have a spreadsheet I created that's basically a more complicated version of a "to do" list. The last column is just labelled "Done?" and what I'd like to do is this: if I type "yes" in a cell in that column, then the formatting of that whole row changes so everything in it is grayed out. Is that possible?

#5 Jul 18, 2023, 02:13 AM Last Edit: Jul 18, 2023, 02:17 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 18, 2023, 02:09 AMI have a spreadsheet I created that's basically a more complicated version of a "to do" list. The last column is just labelled "Done?" and what I'd like to do is this: if I type "yes" in a cell in that column, then the formatting of that whole row changes so everything in it is grayed out. Is that possible?

Yes, that's simple.

Mark the area that you want should behave this way and look for conditional formatting.

You need to set an optional / custom rule. Find that option. Then, if your "Yes" would be in the C column, the custom rule should look something like this:

$C1="yes"

Swap 1 for the number of the topmost row in your marked area.

Define the formatting style, like grey text.

Edit:

Misplaced the $

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 18, 2023, 02:13 AMYes, that's simple.

Mark the area that you want should behave this way and look for conditional formatting.

You need to set an optional / custom rule. Find that option. Then, if your "Yes" would be in the C column, the custom rule should look something like this:

$C1="yes"

Swap 1 for the number of the topmost row in your marked area.

Define the formatting style, like grey text.

Edit:

Misplaced the $

Hmm... right now it's only changing the cell I typed "Yes" in, instead of the whole row.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 18, 2023, 02:20 AMHmm... right now it's only changing the cell I typed "Yes" in, instead of the whole row.

I miswrote the rule the first time around. The $ goes before C :)

So $C1="yes"

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 18, 2023, 02:26 AMI miswrote the rule the first time around. The $ goes before C :)

So $C1="yes"

It doesn't look like I can enter that anywhere in Google Sheets. I was trying with just a range in "Conditional format rules".

Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 18, 2023, 02:35 AMIt doesn't look like I can enter that anywhere in Google Sheets. I was trying with just a range in "Conditional format rules".

It should be possible I'm reasonably sure as I did it myself, although admittedly that was years ago now.

Are you using a computer or tablet / phone? The option might be hidden depending on what GUI you're using.

I'm in bed, but just pulling a screenshot from Google, it should look something like this:

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 18, 2023, 02:42 AMIt should be possible I'm reasonably sure as I did it myself, although admittedly that was years ago now.

Are you using a computer or tablet / phone? The option might be hidden depending on what GUI you're using.

I'm in bed, but just pulling a screenshot from Google, it should look something like this:

Ah, yeah that looks like what I'm working with. I see now that I can do the custom formula but I'm not sure what formula I'd use.

#11 Jul 18, 2023, 03:00 AM Last Edit: Jul 18, 2023, 03:04 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: Janszoon on Jul 18, 2023, 02:51 AMAh, yeah that looks like what I'm working with. I see now that I can do the custom formula but I'm not sure what formula I'd use.

Try

=$C1="yes"

Though you probably have to change C1 for something else.

Maybe you know this, but I'll explain anyways what it means. The $C means it will always use the C column. Without $, a cell in column A (if part of the range) would check the C column while a cell in B would check the D column, etc.

The number 1 will change with every row, so for row 2, $C2 would be looked up.

Alternatively, you could try:

=INDIRECT("C"&ROW())="yes"

But I don't think you have to

Edit:

Regarding punctuation, you may have to swap my " for ' if the rules don't work (=$C1='yes') as it may be language specific which ones to use.

Quote from: jadis on Jul 17, 2023, 12:19 PMAsk whatever you want to know and hopefully someone who's good at computers would answer!

I want to know if there's a way to remove someone from "frequently contacted" list on Whatsapp that pops up when you press the "new chat" button. From what I see on google, the solution is to clear/delete your chat with that contact or to reinstall the app.

But what if that's too extreme? I both want to keep my chat with that contact AND not have them pop up in "frequently contacted" when I hand over my phone to someone so that they could write down they name in the contacts in Whatsapp?

Why don't I just open the contacts app (the one you make calls through) and have the person write down their phone there, without having to see my Whatsapp? Good question. Because my phone and Whatsapp are on two different numbers. My Whatsapp is on my Canadian number while the phone is on the local one. So you need to write them down differently (minus country code for the phone, with country code on Whatsapp).

Hope this is comprehensible and thanks!

Try this.

Lemme know how it works, I don't feel like trying it myself because I need my frequently contacted contacts there lol.

QuoteTouch 3 dots on home screen and select Settings. Under settings, select Data and storage usage. Then select Storage Usage. Now, select the desired chat. At the bottom, you'll see Free up space. play it. Finally, tap Delete Items and confirm.

I was this cool the whole time.