Apr 04, 2023, 01:07 AM Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:09 AM by Guybrush
So eating bugs, would you do it? Have you done it? Do you do it on the regular?

Considering myself somewhat of an adventurous eater, I generally will try if the opportunity arises, like on a vacation to Thailand or when there's some exotic food event going on.

I've tried grasshoppers, crickets, various larvae, water bug, scorpion, some chunky beetles, cicadas, etc.

I don't actually like the neutral taste of desiccated bugs, but if they've been fried up with some sauce or spices, it can be pretty good. I think what I liked the most were these stubby white beetle larvae we got on the streets of Koh Samui. They were a little bit sweet and mealy like slightly grainy peanut butter.

Some people still describe it as the protein of the future because the amount of energy you have to put in to get some amount of protein back is way less than for farming chickens or mammals like pigs and cattle. I guess the bugs also don't fart as much as the cows do.

Whatcha think? Scrumptious? 🪲

Happiness is a warm manatee

I'm already grossed out by crustaceans because I think of them as giant sea bugs, so I don't think I'd be interested in land bugs.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

It's a little gross in my head but I'd be willing to get over it.

I'll eat whatever I'm served I wouldn't want to be prissy and rude.

Oh good heavens. I could probably have a little nibble of a cricket but couldn't ever see myself tucking into a big bowl of insects and enjoying it in the way I would with a cheeseburger.

I've seen bug burgers where they mash loads of bugs into patties. I feel sick thinking about it.

Only God knows.

I'm obsessed with the Oaxacan grasshopper tacos I had in NYC. A 10/10 protein. 

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

^Nice, Jadis :)

I had a bug taco too, but it was at this food event for kids and not exactly a restaurant. It was good, but I think you had the better experience with it. I'd love to give that a proper go.

One of the foods I'm fascinated with and would love to try is cheese containing fly maggots:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: robhr on Apr 04, 2023, 01:30 AMIt's a little gross in my head but I'd be willing to get over it.

I'll eat whatever I'm served I wouldn't want to be prissy and rude.

Same. If my body literally gags on it that's a different story, but I'm willing to try it, if only out of politeness.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I suppose I'd eat bugs if I was in some type of survival situation where I had to do it to survive but I don't have any desire to eat them otherwise.

I do not understand the aversion against eating bugs at all, but I'm just generally not squeamish

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 04, 2023, 03:27 PMI do not understand the aversion against eating bugs at all, but I'm just generally not squeamish

I think it's essentially because they're not typically viewed as food in western diets, they're viewed as pests that need to be avoided and sometimes killed.

So I think the reaction of disgust among many when they're served a plate of grasshoppers with their spindly legs, salted wings, and crusty thoraxes is rather normal.

That said, I've tried many different bugs - crickets, scorpions, beetles, etc. Personally, I'm not a big fan - if you can get over the initial aversion to them, they're not horrible or anything, but there's definitely something lacking compared to more traditional proteins - but I think if you deep fried crickets the way you do with shrimp, and serve it with some ranch, it'd be delicious.

I think people associate bugs with dirt and bad hygiene as well. That might have something to do with it.

Only God knows.