The Fabelmans

i like coming of age stories and this was no exception

i know this is a brain dead painfully common criticism but THE FILM IS TOO LONG

the same story could've been told in an hour's less time

Spoiler
did anyone else think the character logan was secretly jewish or did i just dream that up
[close]

I saw Kill List from 2011 directed by Ben Wheatley.

It's about a family man and a veteran who also takes jobs as a hitman along with an ex-army pal. They get mixed up with a very strange job and he just has that way of flying off the handle.. All in all, it's a bit of a genre mix, but I'd say it's mostly a mystery thriller.

It's fairly well made and has some good performances. The script seems clever, even if it does go to some unlikely places. Parts of the movie are relatively grim, which I like. A lot of people seem to like it for its use of foreshadowing and the final acts also dips its toes in folk horror which I guess we were hungry for before we got Hereditary and Midsommar.

I didn't care much for the main characters Jay & Gal, something I feel affected my enjoyment, but it was a decent movie. It definitely feels like there were some loose ends at the end of it, though.

I'd rate it slightly less than a : :3.5stars:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Don't Worry Darling (2022)

Finally got around to watching this. I first became aware of it when the trailer came out and my friend hilariously texted me saying "hey they made a movie about you", haha. The negative reviews and weird celebrity drama kind of put me off, but we had a bunch of free time last night so we watched it.

Eh, it was okay. It is frustrating because I think this could have been great. As someone in a "traditionally gendered" relationship, the concept is very relevant to me on a personal level, and I think it could have been a cool examination of sexism, male entitlement and all that. As it is it just doesn't go deep enough into that commentary for me.

Very pretty movie though, I'm not gonna lie.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#228 Mar 31, 2023, 09:51 PM Last Edit: Apr 01, 2023, 01:52 AM by Mindy
Quote from: Mindy on Mar 22, 2023, 02:27 AMMovies I watched on vacation:
- Belfast (2021)
- Uncut Gems (2019)
- The Quiet Man (1952)
- The Many Saints of Newark (2021)
- Secondhand Lions (2003)
- The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

I'll rate these because it was the most movies I had watched in years:

- Belfast (2021)
:: Horrible movie, stupid everything, didnt seem real, good story but just overall bad movie
5.5/10

- Uncut Gems (2019)
:: This was great, ending was awesome. Made sports betting seem bad which is why I don't bet.
9.5/10

- The Quiet Man (1952)
:: Not really good, treated women badly, definitely old school story line.
6.3/10

- The Many Saints of Newark (2021)
:: Pretty good, kept ya wondering which characters were who in real show. the plot was interesting and overall not bad
7.9/10

- Secondhand Lions (2003)
:: Stupid movie, seems like a Disney kid's movie, very 1990s vibe. Overall it just seemed silly
5.9/10

- The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)
:: Good movie, this was 2nd best in the line-up of movies watched. Seemed realistic and the story was wild. The dude chopped off his fingers because a dude wouldn't stop talking to him  :laughing:
9/10

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Uncut gems.. is it still good if you don't like Adam Sandler? 😅 People have been praising it, but surely it can't be that great? It's Adam Sandler. It's a bit like seeing Steven Seagal in the lead.

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 01, 2023, 01:33 AMUncut gems.. is it still good if you don't like Adam Sandler? 😅 People have been praising it, but surely it can't be that great? It's Adam Sandler. It's a bit like seeing Steven Seagal in the lead.

You wouldn't even know it's Adam Sandler, turns out he's a pretty good dramatic actor.

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 01, 2023, 01:33 AMUncut gems.. is it still good if you don't like Adam Sandler? 😅 People have been praising it, but surely it can't be that great? It's Adam Sandler. It's a bit like seeing Steven Seagal in the lead.
yeah it was a different vibe than happy gilmore  :laughing:

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Quote from: robhr on Apr 01, 2023, 01:45 AMYou wouldn't even know it's Adam Sandler, turns out he's a pretty good dramatic actor.

He's also good in Punch Drunk Love.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 01, 2023, 02:16 AM
Quote from: robhr on Apr 01, 2023, 01:45 AMYou wouldn't even know it's Adam Sandler, turns out he's a pretty good dramatic actor.

He's also good in Punch Drunk Love.

I still have to see that one, I've seen most PT Anderson.

Alright, guess we might give it a go. As long as he's not playing his character from Little Nicky.

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 01, 2023, 09:01 AMAlright, guess we might give it a go. As long as he's not playing his character from Little Nicky.

I've never seen that one because the character seemed so annoying. That said, I liked quite a few of his earlier movies. There a very few times that I've laughed as hard at a movie as I did when I saw Happy Gilmore in the theater.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I used to be a big Sandler head. I still love pretty much everything he did in the 90s. And his uniformly horrible later comedies are at least fun to cringe at and joke about. The fiance and I watched Jack and Jill a few years ago during a quarantine zoom date and it was an absolutely glorious disaster.

But of course not everyone is crazy like us, haha.

Morbius (2022)

We did it for the meme.

This was really bad, and not even bad in a ridiculous way that's fun to make fun of. It's just a giant nothingburger of a film. I love good movies, I love intensely, comically bad movies. But what I can't get down with is boring movies, and this was one.

It was so bad, even the "it's morbin' time" jokes we were cracking stopped being funny after like 15 minutes and we spent the rest of the film completely checked out. Would not recommend the experience.

-0/10. Yes, that's a negative zero. It was the only way I could describe how hollow this film made me feel.