Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 09, 2024, 04:45 PMI have never been able to get into Reasonable Doubt or any other Jay-Z album I've listened to. I love Illmatic though.

I loved Blueprint but that's mainly cos of Kanye and Just Blaze. The beats on that were superb.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 05:02 PMFirst time he got arrested was 1993  8)

2003 was the documentary and then the second allegations.

And have you listened to the Eminem vs MGK tunes yet?

Ah, okay. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought while he was investigated in '93, he didn't actually get arrested in '93.

I did not - let me do that now.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 05:02 PMI loved Blueprint but that's mainly cos of Kanye and Just Blaze. The beats on that were superb.

In my efforts to give Jay-Z a fair listen years ago, I remember checking out Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint, and the Black Album, and I didn't like any of them.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 05:02 PMFirst time he got arrested was 1993  8)

2003 was the documentary and then the second allegations.

And have you listened to the Eminem vs MGK tunes yet?

Okay just listened to both those tracks.

Both were decent. I think Eminem had more memorable lines, but MGK's track had a better beat. Both of them won though in the end I'm sure, because they both got more exposure/money as a result of the spat. MGK, to his credit, created a better diss track than I imagine he could've, but no diss track against a rapper should include an acknowledgement that the rapper you're dissing is 'the GOAT' (which Eminem definitely ain't anyways). That's weak shit.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 09, 2024, 05:16 PMIn my efforts to give Jay-Z a fair listen years ago, I remember checking out Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint, and the Black Album, and I didn't like any of them.

This is hip hop heresy!  :laughing:

Quote from: SGR on Apr 09, 2024, 05:35 PMThis is hip hop heresy!  :laughing:

I really don't understand his appeal. There was some song I heard recently that I liked and was shocked to discover was by him, but generally speaking I'm not a fan.

#336 Apr 09, 2024, 05:39 PM Last Edit: Apr 09, 2024, 05:42 PM by SGR
Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 09, 2024, 05:38 PMI really don't understand his appeal. There was some song I heard recently that I liked and was shocked to discover was by him, but generally speaking I'm not a fan.

To me, he's a great lyricist, has a great flow, and (unlike Nas) has a great ear for beats. No shame (well, maybe a little shame) on you if you're just not into his stuff.

The final track on The Black Album is representative to me of all his best traits:

It was especially awesome back in 2003 when people thought it was gonna be his last track (he was saying he was retiring from rap)

I like a good amount of Jay-Z songs but I think I'm with Jimmy in that I'm definitely more into the beats on his classic stuff than his flow or lyrics. I'm not gonna lie and say I didn't slam jam the Linkin Park collab back in high school though.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 09, 2024, 05:38 PMI really don't understand his appeal. There was some song I heard recently that I liked and was shocked to discover was by him, but generally speaking I'm not a fan.

That's cos you listen to loads of Hip-Hop or are familiar with it.

Jay-Z has mass appeal cos he doesn't make threatening music. It's catchy and easy to absorb but not really groundbreaking or anything like that.

Entry level Hip-Hop imo.

Only God knows.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 09, 2024, 05:39 PMTo me, he's a great lyricist, has a great flow, and (unlike Nas) has a great ear for beats. No shame (well, maybe a little shame) on you if you're just not into his stuff.

The final track on The Black Album is representative to me of all his best traits:

It was especially awesome back in 2003 when people thought it was gonna be his last track (he was saying he was retiring from rap)

The first track on that album with his mom talking about his birth and riding a bike is some of the corniest shit I've ever heard on a Hip-Hop song.

Macklemore levels of shit.

Only God knows.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 09, 2024, 05:39 PMTo me, he's a great lyricist, has a great flow, and (unlike Nas) has a great ear for beats. No shame (well, maybe a little shame) on you if you're just not into his stuff.

His music just overall isn't that interesting to me. Music, vocals, and lyrics all feel very middle of the road. Nas on Illmatic, on the other hand, makes me feel like I'm inside some kind of hip hop film noir.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 09, 2024, 05:39 PMThe final track on The Black Album is representative to me of all his best traits:

It's funny, I just listened to this the other day. It's ok, but it doesn't really do much for me.

Quoteand (unlike Nas) has a great ear for beats.

Go and check the last five albums Nas has released.

He's taken a big steaming shit all over this argument.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 06:38 PMGo and check the last five albums Nas has released.

He's taken a big steaming shit all over this argument.

I haven't listened to all of those, but I did buy King's Disease III a while back and it's really good.

Yep, I was really impressed with it.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 06:02 PMThat's cos you listen to loads of Hip-Hop or are familiar with it.

Jay-Z has mass appeal cos he doesn't make threatening music. It's catchy and easy to absorb but not really groundbreaking or anything like that.

Entry level Hip-Hop imo.

This sounds awfully elitist  :laughing:

I've listened to all kinds of rap, and some rap I appreciate for different reasons - whether that be great lyricism, impressive beats, awesome sampling, great chemistry between rappers (e.g Tribe or Beastie Boys), or even just because it's catchy and has great hooks.

Like, I didn't listen to Organized Konfusion, Ras Kass, and Cannibal Ox and suddenly think: "Damn, I've changed my mind, Hov's just not that good".  :laughing:

Sometimes I'm in the mood for early 50 Cent, and other times I'm in the mood for Pete Rock instrumentals.