"Seaside", Sculpture By Isabel Miramontes

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

After ordering a canvas print portrait of Jim Henson with Kermit this spring I started thinking about paintings again. I had some fun brainstorming tonight thinking about artwork for the remaining large blank areas of wall space in my bedroom.

Calvin and Hobbes is very near and dear to my heart so I found a high-resolution scan of a serene watercolor comic panel Watterson painted for the strip.

Then I set up a custom 20" x 20" stretched canvas on the website where I got my Jim Henson piece. It looks nice floating with a white comic panel pencil border - that emulates the original comic strip format really well. And I save $$$ not needing a frame.

The color scheme of the watercolor foliage complements the bold blue color of the wall. I spent the evening adjusting the colors and levels and incorporating a 1" white panel border into the art to see how it looked on the canvas.

Here's the before and after...

Raw image:

My edit, upsampled and scaled to 20" x 20" with a 1" pencil border:

The price is $269.85 on sale 85% off down to just $40.

I'm going to take some time to think about it but I'd welcome your thoughts!

(I'm like this all the time.)

I like what you've done with it as stand alone art, but I think the original yellow will look better on your blue wall.  :)

Quote from: MonaSomona on Sep 27, 2023, 09:25 PMI like what you've done with it as stand alone art, but I think the original yellow will look better on your blue wall.  :)

Thanks for your input! I received similar feedback saying the edit was too dark and too red so I reworked it dialing down the levels exactly half way and that version pleased everyone.

Canvas ordered and scheduled for delivery next Friday! Woo-hoo! :)

Jason Anderson.

It arrived early! So pleased with it! <3

It looks great!

Ros McArthur

Digital artwork by Amanda Harwal.

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Oct 04, 2023, 01:31 AMIt arrived early! So pleased with it! <3

yo is that a print or the ORIGINAL??

if the latter I envy you so much lol I wouldn't put it past ya to be in contact with Bill Watterson with the life u live :)

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

So pleased you enjoyed it! Here's how it was made:

In addition to having the complete C&H in paperback and deluxe hardcover, I also have an ultra-high-res digital PDF of the hardcover edition. I've extracted gorgeous full-color paintings from the PDF and constructed a desktop wallpaper collection. This image was my favorite so I tweaked the color a bit to make it just right and had it digitally printed directly onto frameable stretched canvas nearly 2 feet by 2 feet in size. It makes me so happy! :)

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Jan 28, 2024, 12:18 AMSo pleased you enjoyed it! Here's how it was made:

In addition to having the complete C&H in paperback and deluxe hardcover, I also have an ultra-high-res digital PDF of the hardcover edition. I've extracted gorgeous full-color paintings from the PDF and constructed a desktop wallpaper collection. This image was my favorite so I tweaked the color a bit to make it just right and had it digitally printed directly onto frameable stretched canvas nearly 2 feet by 2 feet in size. It makes me so happy! :)

this was easily my favorite series to read in middle school, I've only revisited a few strips since but it makes so much sense where my distrust of authority and unwillingness to be complacent originated  :laughing: seriously good political commentary coming from a child lmao, Calvin had the world figured out (philosophy too!!)

the visual style is always one of blissful calm, juxtaposing with the serious themes that are approached in a certain satirical lens...

god I love Calvin and Hobbes!!

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Recently digitized version of a drawing I made a long time ago