Quote from: Jwb on Apr 25, 2023, 05:47 AMi think the senility angle is really overplayed with biden. He's never been a particularly good speaker even when he was in his prime, and of course that is only exacerbated by old age but that was already true in 2020 when he won the first time around.  Bush jr was an even worse speaker tbh and he got his two terms even after starting an unpopular war.

It really comes down to the culture war and how mobilized each side can get their respective constituents to get out there and vote. The lines are already drawn for the most part. It's not as much about winning over independents as it is about mobilizing the base. That much was demonstrated by the last election.

I was thinking more about how he constantly forgets where he is and how to get off stages per the senility comment, but I don't disagree with the rest of your point.

We should have Joe Biden enter the 2024 debates on one of those chairs that takes old women up the stairs like Tony Soprano's mom had. It could be like his version of the Trump escalator.

Quote from: Jwb on Apr 25, 2023, 06:08 AMWe should have Joe Biden enter the 2024 debates on one of those chairs that takes old women up the stairs like Tony Soprano's mom had. It could be like his version of the Trump escalator.

:laughing: That would actually win favor with me. That would be absolutely hilarious if he played into his critics like that. Of course, it would only work if he'd manage to put on a halfway decent debate performance, but if Trump interrupted him every 5 seconds like he did with the first debate, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Our president being a hypocrite? Say it aint so!!

I'm imagining that Biden recently announced his run for reelection through a pre-recorded video instead of a live speech because his staffers probably feared he'd accidentally announce a run for reelection in the Senate.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 26, 2023, 11:11 PMOur president being a hypocrite? Say it aint so!!

I'm imagining that Biden recently announced his run for reelection through a pre-recorded video instead of a live speech because his staffers probably feared he'd accidentally announce a run for reelection in the Senate.

he's jill's husband dont cha know derp derp

He has to be reminded by his army of aides every day that he's an elected official and he's running again in 2024.

#52 Apr 27, 2023, 02:40 AM Last Edit: Apr 27, 2023, 02:42 AM by Jwb
I'm sorry but i spent the entire 2020 cycle listening to people swear up and down he would lose for exactly the reasons above.  Nothing drastic has changed in the meantime regarding his health or mental faculties.  So I'm not exactly convinced this time around. It's about as convincing as swearing trump can't win because he's too brash and uncouth, after watching people say that all through 2016 only for him to end up winning anyway.

Quote from: Jwb on Apr 27, 2023, 02:40 AMI'm sorry but i spent the entire 2020 cycle listening to people swear up and down he would lose for exactly the reasons above.  Nothing drastic has changed in the meantime regarding his health or mental faculties.  So I'm not exactly convinced this time around. It's about as convincing as swearing trump can't win because he's too brash and uncouth, after watching people say that all through 2016 only for him to end up winning anyway.

fair enough

the proof is in the pudding

they both proved they can win - that cannot be denied

I wonder what the debates will be like if it's Trump and Biden again? You'd think that Trump wouldn't make the mistake of talking over Biden for the whole debate again, would you? That to me seemed like a huge miscalculation from the first debate. If Trump and his team believed Biden truly wasn't cognitively all there, wouldn't the best strategy be to give him as much time to try and explain his positions as possible and let him sink himself? Trump legit did all the work for him in the debates (at least the first one, I honestly don't even remember the second one). Trump's best moments in his debates with Hillary were when he came back with a sharp rebuttal to something Hillary said (e.g. Hillary said he doesn't pay his taxes, Trump shoots back that he just works with the laws as they're given, and that she had the chance to change those laws but didn't because it would mean her friends and donors would have to pay more money)

One thing I've also noticed in the last 3 years is that Biden rarely if ever takes questions from the press. I remember Trump doing it all the time. Almost to the point where he liked the attention (yeah, he probably did) and sought out environments like that. I do remember a few instances where Biden would try to start answering questions and then his team would shoo the press people out of the room. But it almost makes you wonder, if Biden's cognitive faculties had declined in any significant way since 2020, would we even know?

QuoteI wonder what the debates will be like if it's Trump and Biden again?

probably very funny

trump couldn't keep quiet if he tried

they might not even debate

desantis would obliterate biden

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 27, 2023, 05:03 AMprobably very funny

trump couldn't keep quiet if he tried

they might not even debate

desantis would obliterate biden

They better damn well debate. None of that covid excuses this time.

You live in Florida, so you probably know better than me, but is DeSantis charismatic? Every time I've seen him speak, he seems like your average stiff politican in a suit. Has little humour, little charm. Again, I've only seen him speak now and then.

He doesnt have a single charismatic bone in his body. He's a complete empty suit. The GOP is just desperate to find a Trump lite candidate without all the baggage.

But that being said yeah he'd probably out debate biden.  But it's not at all clear he'll make it past Trump.

Quote from: Jwb on Apr 27, 2023, 05:27 AMHe doesnt have a single charismatic bone in his body. He's a complete empty suit. The GOP is just desperate to find a Trump lite candidate without all the baggage.

i don't feel his charisma but i don't really like taylor swift either