Quote from: Saulaac on Oct 29, 2023, 02:05 PMOh wow! Did you take that photo, ribbons? Did you meet him??  8)

Oh no, Saulaac - I wish!  That photo was snapped by artist Pascal Martos, who paints portraits of jazz and soul musicians.  I'd remembered that Sanborn was wearing a scarf in that photo.  :)

Well remembered!  :checkmark:  And what a striking shade of blue that is. Don't even know what it's called, so from now on I will refer to it as Sanborn blue.

^ Similar to that beautiful blue sky in your avatar.  Thank you, Saulaac!  :) 

Sorry to have missed out on some developments in this thread :(

Picking up on Saulaac's ref to turtles, I was reminded of John Fahey's wonderful The Voice of The Turtle, and if guitar instrumentals that just have an animal in the title isn't a bit of a cheat, there is also Fahey's Womblife album, with:-

01. Sharks            -    0:00
02. Planaria          -    9:20
03. Eels                  -    19:14
04. Coelacanths  -    25:28

And please let's not forget our much-missed friend from MB, Plankton. This is the title track from his Krill album:

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Oct 31, 2023, 04:49 PMSorry to have missed out on some developments in this thread :(

Picking up on Saulaac's ref to turtles, I was reminded of John Fahey's wonderful The Voice of The Turtle, and if guitar instrumentals that just have an animal in the title isn't a bit of a cheat, there is also Fahey's Womblife album, with:-

01. Sharks            -    0:00
02. Planaria          -    9:20
03. Eels                  -    19:14
04. Coelacanths  -    25:28

And please let's not forget our much-missed friend from MB, Plankton. This is the title track from his Krill album:

Lisna, for a second there I thought Plankton had returned.  :o  Ah well, maybe some day - but for the time being it's nice to hear "Krill Part 1" again.

Fahey's The Voice of the Turtle is a lovely album.  Fahey was a turtle aficionado and had many as pets, and he would rescue turtles from pet stores or if they wandered into the middle of roads (lest they be run over by cars  :().

I think you're more than entitled to cite those creaturely instrumentals from Womblife.  (I have never heard that album, but you've piqued my interest, and I've read that Womblife is experimental musique concrète paired with bottleneck blues.)

And I'm similarly reminded of Bert Jansch's Avocet, in which all the tracks are instrumentals named after birds:

"Avocet"
"Lapwing"
"Bittern"
"Kingfisher"
"Osprey"
"Kittiwake"

Speaking of turtles...

Syd Barrett - Terrapin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNM-7LBG0mY

Terrapin painting by Syd:

^ Of course!!! Terrapin !! :clap: An absolute favourite song of mine!

Thanks for that info about John Fahey too, ribbons: that's an endearing trait, to be looking after turtles, isn't it?

You have given me some listening to do, because I have only briefly dipped into Womblife, and haven't followed Bert Jansch since his days with Pentangle.

:thumb:

Yes, when I learned about Fahey looking after turtles it warmed my heart. :love:

Glad you liked Syd's "Terrapin", Lisna (I feared you or others might not like it, as his post-Floyd output is off-kilter, but I've always thought he should be given credit for trying!  I think Syd was an artistic genius and better than all the other Floyds put together, but that's just me. :D).  "Terrapin" is dreamy poetry in slow motion, like terrapins swimming in dark brackish waters.   8)

Camille Saint-Saens - Le Cygne

Quote from: ribbons on Nov 02, 2023, 02:34 PMSqueeze - Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WngGeI9lnA

These guys sound like they could be from Australia or UK. I like this a lot. Are you from Blighty yourself ? :D

#58 Nov 02, 2023, 02:44 PM Last Edit: Nov 02, 2023, 02:49 PM by Lisnaholic
^ Some more good calls on animal songs!

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 31, 2023, 06:07 PMGlad you liked Syd's "Terrapin", Lisna (I feared you or others might not like it, as his post-Floyd output is off-kilter, but I've always thought he should be given credit for trying!  I think Syd was an artistic genius and better than all the other Floyds put together, but that's just me. :D).  "Terrapin" is dreamy poetry in slow motion, like terrapins swimming in dark brackish waters.  8)

""Terrapin" is dreamy poetry in slow motion, like terrapins swimming in dark brackish waters.  8)"

That's very well-put, ribbons!
When they first came out, there was nothing like those solo albums of Syd's, afaik, but I fell in love with their low-fi, unambitious approach. I liked how the lyrics kind of worm their way past your consciousness and take up residence in some back-room of your brain. I wonder if you have other favourite tracks? Dominoes and Gigolo Aunt are two that spring to my mind.
I feel as if I found the spirit of Syd's music again decades later, in Neutral Milk Hotel and a style (thank you, Neapolitan) called "acoustic emo". This great, disturbing, track serves as an example and even mentions animals, so I don't have to worry about being accused of going off topic:-

Heroin is nasty ..................

The Dirty Three - Some Summers They Drop Like Flies