Nor me three. Probably a regional thing.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Goddamn regional content. Maybe this Accountancy Shanty works?

Couldn't find another Youtube version of I am the Sea, but here's a Google search link for the song which should bring up hits on various streaming services.

Happiness is a warm manatee

@Janszoon, Paul S and Lexi: you guys need to move to Mexico, as Guybrush's clips opened here, no prob.

"Sailing On The Wide Accountan-Sea" was not the direction I expected this thread to take. :laughing:

You know how sometimes you remember a song as being good, but when you revisit it you are disappointed? That's how The Ella B was for me yesterday:-

It's ok, but a boat song that devotes so many lines to reciting the on-board menu just doesn't convey the romance of a river trip the way I want.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Feb 16, 2024, 02:27 PM@Janszoon, Paul S and Lexi: you guys need to move to Mexico, as Guybrush's clips opened here, no prob.

After my experience there in September, I'm confident in saying that I would melt.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Feb 16, 2024, 02:27 PM@Janszoon, Paul S and Lexi: you guys need to move to Mexico, as Guybrush's clips opened here, no prob.

I've been getting back into wearing makeup these days, and if the climate is anything like that of the Caribbean, then I will echo Janszoon's post, haha.

Aaron does actually speak Spanish, but unless Mexico sells way better antiperspirant setting spray, he'd have to be prepared to preface every conversation with "Por favor, disculpe la pizza de queso fundido en la cara de mi esposa."  :laughing:

I don't think I know off the top of my head any songs with ship references.

I think, Lisna, that you liked J-L Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean but it could have been Imaginary Voyage, Can't remember which one.

So I went with Camel's Lunar Sea instrumental. Richard Sinclair on bass for this one.

Not exactly a ship reference, but I know of at least a couple of Trawlerman's songs. One of them is Vashti Bunyan's.

And Kula Shaker's Hurricane Season is about a seafarer against the elements.

Quote from: Saulaac on Feb 16, 2024, 11:52 PMI don't think I know off the top of my head any songs with ship references.

I think, Lisna, that you liked J-L Ponty's Enigmatic Ocean but it could have been Imaginary Voyage, Can't remember which one.

So I went with Camel's Lunar Sea instrumental. Richard Sinclair on bass for this one.

Love that performance. Those lush 70s analog string synths have such an ear-tickling sound.

Quote from: Saulaac on Feb 16, 2024, 11:52 PMI don't think I know off the top of my head any songs with ship references.

That you remembered my comment at all is very flattering, Saulaac. Thanks.

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Feb 17, 2024, 01:37 AMLove that performance. Those lush 70s analog string synths have such an ear-tickling sound.

^ Yes, I was going to say that the synths at 3 mins in were the highlight, but Saulaac's clip has highlights all the way through it.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 17, 2024, 12:49 AMNot exactly a ship reference, but I know of at least a couple of Trawlerman's songs. One of them is Vashti Bunyan's.

That song is just beautiful, and perhaps overshadows what comes next - but Kula Shaker  (completely new name to me) also sounds very interesting.

Here's a song I love that obliquely paints a portrait of an old sailor: Some Old Salty. Lyrics attached if anyone is curious.

Spoiler
Lyrics

Some old salty, how he used to rock me.
Jelly roll or Jerry Lee, how he used to rock me.

Salt fare, North Sea,
Weird stare. Further than the eye can see.
He had a head like a toy shop, bow legged stance off,
Must have been the rolling sea.

Hull Fair waltzers, bopping to Brenda Lee.
River boat jazz cruise, jiving to the Two-Nineteen.

Down there for dancing, come on Mr Chester please.
Play "Deliah's gone" for one more round, some old Salty's on his feet.

Salt fare, North Sea,
Weird stare. Further than the eye can see.
He had a head like a toy shop, bow legged stance off,
Must have been the rolling sea.
Down "The Abercrombie"
[close]

#25 Feb 18, 2024, 07:44 AM Last Edit: Feb 18, 2024, 07:48 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: Lisnaholic on Feb 17, 2024, 03:03 AMThat song is just beautiful, and perhaps overshadows what comes next - but Kula Shaker  (completely new name to me) also sounds very interesting.

Yes, I have a book, Electric Eden I believe the title was, about folk artists from the British isles. Artists like Nick Drake, Steeleye Span, Trees, Heron and Forest.

It also recounts the story of Vashti. You probably know it but for anyone else; I believe she travelled up north to Scotland with a horse cart to live in a commune. She tried playing at pubs, but hardly sings above a whisper, so that didn't quite work out. Her music was better recorded and she had help from some prominent people in the biz. However, she didn't pursue the life of professional artist, so that one album was all we got until she was rediscovered in the 2000s. I believe internet and music sharing gave her album a second wind and her another chance at being a recording artist. She's put out two more albums after that, I believe in 2005 and 2014.

Kula Shaker is the more famous of the two. I remember I got some flak for liking them when I signed up on MB (supposedly, they weren't very good live at some point?) but they had some bangers (imo) 🙂

Edit:

Also, adding more to this thread, no one's posted Mountain's Mississippi Queen yet!

Speaking of Mississippi...

Rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Proud Mary (Live At The Royal Albert Hall)

^ True to form, that song is a real rocker from Mountain !

EDIT: ditto Proud Mary, Psy-Fi. How could we have forgotten such a great song until now?!

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 18, 2024, 07:44 AMYes, I have a book, Electric Eden I believe the title was, about folk artists from the British isles. Artists like Nick Drake, Steeleye Span, Trees, Heron and Forest.

It also recounts the story of Vashti. You probably know it but for anyone else; I believe she travelled up north to Scotland with a horse cart to live in a commune. She tried playing at pubs, but hardly sings above a whisper, so that didn't quite work out. Her music was better recorded and she had help from some prominent people in the biz. However, she didn't pursue the life of professional artist, so that one album was all we got until she was rediscovered in the 2000s. I believe internet and music sharing gave her album a second wind and her another chance at being a recording artist. She's put out two more albums after that, I believe in 2005 and 2014.

Actually, I don't know anything about Vashti Bunyan, so your brief summary was interesting for me. Thanks.
Sadly he doesn't post here or on MB, but I remember exploring some of the lesser known names in bold, above, with Neapolitan, who is another much missed poster, imo.

Of course English folk is just full of nautical songs, but I promised myself that I wouldn't clog up this thread with too many sea shanties, etc. By way of compromise, I'm putting a couple of not-so-standard songs in this spoiler:-

Spoiler

[close]