Quote from: Guybrush on May 09, 2024, 07:43 AMYou mentioned a parasite, so I ofc latched on to that bit.

The brain eating worm is probably the common pork tapeworm. It has a stage where it lives in the intestine, which is what people know about, but that stage produces eggs that hatch into another stage, a stage that makes a smaller worm that burrows into tissues and lives inside the cyst it creates there.

If people ingest those eggs, say from drinking water contaminated with faeces containing tapeworm eggs, those worms can end up in the brain - or in the eyes even.

It really is awful and so if you want something new to keep you up at night, just Google pork tapeworm brain.

Thanks Guy, I was on the fence about skipping breakfast, but now I think I can skip lunch too.  ;D

Quote from: SGR on May 09, 2024, 03:05 PMThanks Guy, I was on the fence about skipping breakfast, but now I think I can skip lunch too.  ;D
good thing you weren't eating while reading.

Lesson learned for me but good think I didn't get sausage patties like I normally do for breakfast.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Guybrush on May 09, 2024, 07:43 AMYou mentioned a parasite, so I ofc latched on to that bit.

The brain eating worm is probably the common pork tapeworm. It has a stage where it lives in the intestine, which is what people know about, but that stage produces eggs that hatch into another stage, a stage that makes a smaller worm that burrows into tissues and lives inside the cyst it creates there.

If people ingest those eggs, say from drinking water contaminated with faeces containing tapeworm eggs, those worms can end up in the brain - or in the eyes even.

It really is awful and so if you want something new to keep you up at night, just Google pork tapeworm brain.

When I read this I decided to give up eating and drinking entirely -  a resolve that lasted for about an hour.

I've prob mentioned this before, but pork is a risky meat to eat because pigs are genetically close to us: a bug that lives in pork can probably transfer comfortably to us. It's safer to eat beef, chicken or fish that are furthur removed from us genetically, so those bugs are less adept at finding a new home in us.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.