Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 07, 2023, 12:35 PMThe Life Aquatic is actually the only one of his movies I've seen.

To me it does come off as a bit hipsterish, but IMO it does so in a way that actually nails the charm and quirk that a lot of indie cool films try and fail at. I thought it really captured a sense of wonder that I rarely see done in film, at least in a way that resonates with me personally.

Life Aquatic is such a wonderful film :) even other Wes Anderson's I've seen don't come close

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Triangle  (2009)

A really excellent psychological thriller/horror about a group of people that go on a boat trip, only to be shipwrecked - but they manage to survive and get picked up by a cruise liner that's passing by. The only problem is that the liner is seemingly abandoned...what follows is a strange timeloop progression that our protagonist needs to find her way out of. The film touches on themes of deeply held regret, fruitlessly trying to make up for past mistakes, and the myth of Sisyphus.

Great watch if you're into films that need to be peeled apart and thought on a bit. If you liked Coherence, you'll probably like this. Strangely, it was only released in the UK back in 2009. Praise be to streaming.

I love that movie, I stumbled upon or an old roommate did and then he wanted us to watch it together.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Oct 10, 2023, 07:13 PMI love that movie, I stumbled upon or an old roommate did and then he wanted us to watch it together.

Totally underrated, isn't it?

Quote from: SGR on Oct 10, 2023, 04:01 PMTriangle  (2009)

A really excellent psychological thriller/horror about a group of people that go on a boat trip, only to be shipwrecked - but they manage to survive and get picked up by a cruise liner that's passing by. The only problem is that the liner is seemingly abandoned...what follows is a strange timeloop progression that our protagonist needs to find her way out of. The film touches on themes of deeply held regret, fruitlessly trying to make up for past mistakes, and the myth of Sisyphus.

Great watch if you're into films that need to be peeled apart and thought on a bit. If you liked Coherence, you'll probably like this. Strangely, it was only released in the UK back in 2009. Praise be to streaming.

I remember watching it when it came out and really digging it. It is marketed as some kind of horror slasher but it's much more complicated and nuanced than that. I'll have to rewatch it to see if I still enjoy it as much. Thanks for the reminder.

#65 Oct 11, 2023, 05:12 PM Last Edit: Oct 11, 2023, 06:13 PM by ribbons Reason: spelling
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 07, 2023, 12:35 PMThe Life Aquatic is actually the only one of his movies I've seen.

To me it does come off as a bit hipsterish, but IMO it does so in a way that actually nails the charm and quirk that a lot of indie cool films try and fail at. I thought it really captured a sense of wonder that I rarely see done in film, at least in a way that resonates with me personally.

Totally agree with the bolded. I recently watched The Life Aquatic and absolutely loved it and intend to watch it again.  It's whimsical, intensely creative, hilarious and poignant all at the same time.  The entire cast is great, and I loved the character of Ned/"Kingsley Zissou" - he is so sweet.  Thanks @Guybrush for the initial recommendation - this is the third film you've posted that I've enjoyed and found really affecting (i.e., Birdman, The Fisher King, and now this!).  This is the first Wes Anderson film I've seen, as well - so I can't compare it to his other films, but this one is very special.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 03, 2023, 11:42 PMThis movie made me order a red hat and a baby blue shirt with short sleeves.

You mean like this?   ;)

Watched this again for about the 900th time this weekend.
How Michael Douglas didn't even get an oscar nomination for this just baffles me.

Quote from: ribbons on Oct 11, 2023, 05:12 PMTotally agree with the bolded. I recently watched The Life Aquatic and absolutely loved it and intend to watch it again.  It's whimsical, intensely creative, hilarious and poignant all at the same time.  The entire cast is great, and I loved the character of Ned/"Kingsley Zissou" - he is so sweet.  Thanks @Guybrush for the initial recommendation - this is the third film you've posted that I've enjoyed and found really affecting (i.e., Birdman, The Fisher King, and now this!).  This is the first Wes Anderson film I've seen, as well - so I can't compare it to his other films, but this one is very special.

You mean like this?  ;)

Woop! Thank YOU @ribbons 😊 how wonderful it is to be able to share ones love for movies. I'm so happy you like them!!

Also, yes. That's the outfit. Although I will say it looks dumb on that model 😄

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Suburban Placeholder? on Oct 11, 2023, 05:49 PM

Watched this again for about the 900th time this weekend.
How Michael Douglas didn't even get an oscar nomination for this just baffles me.

I've seen it a couple of times, but the last time must've been in the early 00s.

I do remember I liked it.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 11, 2023, 07:20 PMAlso, yes. That's the outfit. Although I will say it looks dumb on that model 😄

It's advertised as a Halloween costume on Amazon.  :laughing:  Yes, it's weird because the model's face looks real but the arms look fake.  Maybe he's just an unpaid intern. 

Steve:  "Anne Marie, do interns get Glocks?"
Anne Marie:  "No, they all share one."    :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHgfcyMz9A

watched Argo a couple days ago;
thinking of renting the matrix on youtube, give that a new watch;

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 9th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Now that it's spooky season, maybe you ought to watch:

The Wicker Man (1973)

Yes, this wonderful movie was just released in a restored 4k version with a 94 minutes runtime, so that's now the definitive version to get.

On the small Scottish island Summerisle, a young girl has gone missing. Howie, a deeply christian police officer, is tasked with flying out to Summerisle to investigate the young girl's disappearance. Making it more troublesome for Howie, the people on Summerisle are all immoral heathens with absolutely no sense of proper decency. If he can just figure out their strange practices, maybe he can figure out what happened to the girl?

I love movies that feature the occult and The Wicker Man might just be the best one of them all. It looks like a made for TV movie when you first put it on, but it soon grabs you.. and the ending is probably my favorite ending of any movie ever made.

Add to that a soundtrack by Paul Giovanni and the band Magnet that has some of the most beautiful folk music of the 70s and the mix is just too good to miss.

At the start of the movie, with the small plane flying across the Scottish coast and corn rigs comes on, it's a balm for the soul:

And Willow's song might actually be the most beautiful folk ballad of the 70s period.

So watch this if you haven't, but remember to avoid the original theatrical release like the plague as it's cut to pieces and a nonsensical mess.

Always look for final or director's cut with this one 🙂 preferably the recent restoration, of course!

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 26, 2023, 11:06 PMNow that it's spooky season, maybe you ought to watch:

The Wicker Man (1973)

Yes, this wonderful movie was just released in a restored 4k version with a 94 minutes runtime, so that's now the definitive version to get.

On the small Scottish island Summerisle, a young girl has gone missing. Howie, a deeply christian police officer, is tasked with flying out to Summerisle to investigate the young girl's disappearance. Making it more troublesome for Howie, the people on Summerisle are all immoral heathens with absolutely no sense of proper decency. If he can just figure out their strange practices, maybe he can figure out what happened to the girl?

I love movies that feature the occult and The Wicker Man might just be the best one of them all. It looks like a made for TV movie when you first put it on, but it soon grabs you.. and the ending is probably my favorite ending of any movie ever made.

Add to that a soundtrack by Paul Giovanni and the band Magnet that has some of the most beautiful folk music of the 70s and the mix is just too good to miss.

At the start of the movie, with the small plane flying across the Scottish coast and corn rigs comes on, it's a balm for the soul:

And Willow's song might actually be the most beautiful folk ballad of the 70s period.

So watch this if you haven't, but remember to avoid the original theatrical release like the plague as it's cut to pieces and a nonsensical mess.

Always look for final or director's cut with this one 🙂 preferably the recent restoration, of course!

I've only seen the 2006 Nic Cage version, which I saw in theaters in high school. I am a big Christopher Lee fan so I'd definitely love to check out the original. I'll add it to the list!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 26, 2023, 11:17 PMI've only seen the 2006 Nic Cage version, which I saw in theaters in high school. I am a big Christopher Lee fan so I'd definitely love to check out the original. I'll add it to the list!

Oh gods.. I've never seen the Nic Cage version. I've seen some clips on YouTube and ofc they went viral because they're idiotic and ridiculously funny, but.. I love the original too much 😅 I'm not sure I could stomach the blasphemy.

#74 Oct 27, 2023, 12:47 AM Last Edit: Oct 27, 2023, 12:58 AM by DJChameleon
I'm not sure if I posted about it but I watched The Last House on the Left both the original version and the remake that came out in 2009. The 2009 version did the original so much justice that I prefer the 2009 one to the original. It also wasn't the movie that I remembered seeing.

I was looking for a horror movie with a similar premise but the woman that got assaulted was the one getting revenge and not her parents.

Edit: the movie I was thinking I was getting ready to watch was I spit on your grave. That movie was also remade so it has two versions.

I was this cool the whole time.