Quote from: SGR on Oct 04, 2023, 01:41 AMIn that case, I guarantee you liked it.

Touché my friend

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 04, 2023, 06:35 AM@Meatwad you may consider this blasphemy, but I really enjoyed the remake from 2014 with Tilda Swinton and others 🙂

It's different in tone of course, but every enjoyable still.

I might try out the remake because I couldn't stand the original. A couple of the film heads on MB was highly recommending it to me and everything they loved about it is what turned me off from it.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 03, 2023, 11:42 PMThe Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Wes Anderson has many adoring fans. My fascination with his output has waned a little the last ten-ish years, but this one - my favorite of his - is still a joy to watch.

There's a story to this movie about an ocean explorer and documentary maker chasing down the shark who ate his friend and getting reunited with a lost son, but the movie's considerable magic is in the characters, their interactions and the weird alternative universe that Wes Anderson creates. It is funny, moving, weird and unlike anything else.

Never before had a movie so made me want to belong to something I saw onscreen. I had a friend who became goth after watching The Crow and then changed style again after The Matrix. Not me. I wanted to be part of the crew of the Belafonte. This movie made me order a red hat and a baby blue shirt with short sleeves.

To me, this is Bill Murray's best role. He was absolutely perfect. The supporting cast is also great.

I've loved this movie since its release when I watched it without any prior knowledge or expectations. It blew my mind. 🙂

This is one of my all time favorites too, and I also saw it shortly after it came out on DVD with no real knowledge or context. The David Bowie covers from that movie are really fantastic as well.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Oct 04, 2023, 11:50 PMThis is one of my all time favorites too, and I also saw it shortly after it came out on DVD with no real knowledge or context. The David Bowie covers from that movie are really fantastic as well.

Yes, they're really great 🙂 my wife got really taken with them and preferred them to the originals for a while, I think.

Such a lovely tribute to Bowie ❤️

Also, I'm pretty sure this is Willem Dafoe's funniest role, even if his character is relatively minor. 😄

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 04, 2023, 06:35 AM@Meatwad you may consider this blasphemy, but I really enjoyed the remake from 2014 with Tilda Swinton and others 🙂

It's different in tone of course, but every enjoyable still.

A lot of remakes can be be pretty good and even be an improvement so I just enjoy movies on merit. For example, from what I've heard the Dune remake is better than David Lynch's effort.

Quote from: Meatwad on Oct 05, 2023, 09:05 AMA lot of remakes can be be pretty good and even be an improvement so I just enjoy movies on merit. For example, from what I've heard the Dune remake is better than David Lynch's effort.

I love Lynch, but I could get behind this statement.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 05, 2023, 05:22 PMI love Lynch, but I could get behind this statement.

I haven't seen either version of Dune (besides reading Herberts book as a kid) so Im not familiar with it as a film.

In terms of Lynch, I really liked the whole aesthetic of Twin Peaks and thought Mulholland Drive was a good movie. The only other film of his that I've watched is Blue Velvet, but it wasn't really something I got into.

Quote from: Meatwad on Oct 05, 2023, 05:34 PMI haven't seen either version of Dune (besides reading Herberts book as a kid) so Im not familiar with it as a film.

In terms of Lynch, I really liked the whole aesthetic of Twin Peaks and thought Mulholland Drive was a good movie. The only other film of his that I've watched is Blue Velvet, but it wasn't really something I got into.

My two favourites are probably Eraserhead and Blue Velvet. Twin Peaks is great, including the Fire Walk With Me movie. I also like Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr., The Elephant Man, etc.

The one I haven't seen yet is The Straight Story and I fell asleep during Inland Empire, so need to rewatch that.

Quote from: Guybrush on Oct 03, 2023, 11:42 PMWes Anderson has many adoring fans. My fascination with his output has waned a little the last ten-ish years, but this one - my favorite of his - is still a joy to watch.

I have a love/hate relationship with Wes Anderson. I feel like his movies are very paint by the numbers for certain asthetic reasons.

I would like to see Asteroid City even though it feels quite similar to Nope.

Over time I have gotten over my feelings of just wanting to immediately discard his movies because they just come off as pretentious indie fare that gathers to hipsters. Colors, music choice, filmography everything basically.

I didn't really care for Life Aquatica or The Royal Tenebaums. Those are the two that everyone praises so much from him.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Oct 06, 2023, 10:47 AMI didn't really care for Life Aquatica or The Royal Tenenbaums. Those are the two that everyone praises so much from him.

I haven't seen Life Aquatic but I agree with everything you said about The Royal Tenenbaums. I found it really unamusing and pretentious too.

Even so, if you really want a movie that tries to be indie cool really hard and only ends ups being a large pile of bovine excrement, nothing is as pretentious and unamusing as " I Heart Huckerbees". :laughing:

Quote from: Meatwad on Oct 06, 2023, 04:01 PMI haven't seen Life Aquatic but I agree with everything you said about The Royal Tenenbaums. I found it really unamusing and pretentious too.

Even so, if you really want a movie that tries to be indie cool really hard and only ends ups being a large pile of bovine excrement, nothing is as pretentious and unamusing as " I Heart Huckerbees". :laughing:

Hard agree!

The Life Aquatic is actually the only one of his movies I've seen.

To me it does come off as a bit hipsterish, but IMO it does so in a way that actually nails the charm and quirk that a lot of indie cool films try and fail at. I thought it really captured a sense of wonder that I rarely see done in film, at least in a way that resonates with me personally.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Anderson can seem hipsterish and pretentious. But a few things relevant to me are:

I love it when a director has a unique style. Wes Anderson is so firmly in that category. He has his own way of creating characters, interactions, his quirky humour. And of course the way he composes his shots, creates images and tells a story. He is sometimes emulated today, so back then he was even more unique.

Second, for me it works. When I watch things that I think are pretentious, the pretentiousness keeps me at arm's length. But Anderson's universe is something that typically pulls me in. I think it's just so well done that the pretentiousness doesn't get in the way for me.

But I definitely feel like it's a style that you likely either vibe with or you don't.

Looking forward to seeing his latest, although the reviews seem mixed.