Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 28, 2023, 11:24 PM
Quote from: Marie Monday on Feb 28, 2023, 11:21 PM
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 28, 2023, 09:42 PM
Quote from: Trollheart on Feb 28, 2023, 08:10 PMThe point here is that this person is NOT a trans rapist. When the rape was committed they were a man (though identifying as a woman from age four, not really relevant though). THEN later they transitioned. This headline makes it seem that someone raped two women AS A TRANS which is not the case. It gives fuel to these brain-dead idiots who will point to the headline and say "See? We told you! They're all rapists!" I mean, if it said Mexican rapist, would you think that was okay? I think placing the two highly-charged words right beside each other is deliberate, intended to cause controversy and is the worst kind of hate-mongering click bait there is. Fuck those guys. It didn't need to be written that way AND it's inaccurate and untrue.

Bryson was convicted last month of raping two women - one in Clydebank in 2016 and one in Drumchapel, Glasgow, in 2019 - and committed the offences while a man known as Adam Graham.

The 31-year-old, from Clydebank, met both the victims online and prosecutors said Bryson had "preyed" on vulnerable women.

The fact the offender is trans is central to the story. It isn't the fact they committed rapes, it's the question of whether they should have been held in a female prison. That's why it became a big news story and why Sturgeon got involved. If you remove the mess that happened with custody then you may have a point but it isn't the case.

Were you aware of this case before you read the article you posted?
then why isn't the title something like 'transitioning criminal leads to prison transfer dilemma' or whatever? Can't you really see the issue?

Cos it isn't talking about the dilemma it's talking about the sentence.

Have you been following this case?
first you say the female prison bit is the central thing, now it's the sentence. But in both cases, my criticism of the title choice still applies: you say the rape is not important, so why is it in the title and why is the trans bit connected to that instead of the female prison thing? It is not an accurate reflection about the main point of the story; just unnecessary fearmongering. Whether I've followed the case is irrelevant, just try to see my point.

No you misunderstood. That particular article is more of an update and is talking about the sentence, the reason this is in the news in the first place is because of the gender thing.

You lot are looking very, very hard for something that isn't there.

What title would you have gone with?

Only God knows.

#62 Mar 01, 2023, 01:51 PM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2023, 01:53 PM by jimmy jazz
Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 01, 2023, 03:52 AMThey don't identify as a man now. But they only started the hormone treatment after the crime. They would have been tried as a man at the time. Not trans. At best, transitioning.

She was tried as a woman. Read the articles.

QuoteBryson made the decision to transition from a man to a woman while awaiting trial.

Only God knows.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/01/sport/vermont-basketball-transgender-athlete-spt-intl

Girls high school basketball team forfeits tournament rather than play against transgender player

more transorama

desantis is all over these stories like ants on candy

this one is an almost impossible sell to the typical american sports fans and americans love sports

even if they don't get the revenue and tv time as men's sports at the high school level parents are crazy about it

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 01, 2023, 01:48 PMNo you misunderstood. That particular article is more of an update and is talking about the sentence, the reason this is in the news in the first place is because of the gender thing.

cis het man was a rapist until he transformed into a beautiful transgender angel

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 01, 2023, 01:51 PMhttps://www.cnn.com/2023/03/01/sport/vermont-basketball-transgender-athlete-spt-intl

Girls high school basketball team forfeits tournament rather than play against transgender player

more transorama

this one is an almost impossible sell to the typical american sports fans and americans love sports

even if they don't get the revenue and tv time as men's sports at the high school level parents are crazy about it

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Mar 01, 2023, 02:05 PM
Quote from: Dreams on Mar 01, 2023, 01:51 PMhttps://www.cnn.com/2023/03/01/sport/vermont-basketball-transgender-athlete-spt-intl

more transorama

those blue states all have garbage college athletics too

shame on them

#67 Mar 01, 2023, 08:30 PM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2023, 08:41 PM by Marie Monday
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 01, 2023, 01:48 PMNo you misunderstood. That particular article is more of an update and is talking about the sentence, the reason this is in the news in the first place is because of the gender thing.

no thank you I'm not gonna come up with a title that requires reading up on this whole thing. My point is very simple. What that title conveys is 'a transgender person raped someone and is going to jail now'. That does not adequately capture what you said the article is mainly about. What it conveys (whether it's intentional or not doesn't matter) is that it's newsworthy (read: important, or a reason for general concern) that a transgender person has raped someone. The same goes for that guardian title you mentioned earlier actually. I'm not looking for anything far-fetched, if you still don't see this then I don't know how to explain it to you

Also, just to make sure it's not being misunderstood: I'm not saying the trans bit should not be mentioned in the headline, since in this particular case it's relevant. I'm saying the headline should reflect better why it is relevant, which is not just the fact that a trans person has raped someone.

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 01, 2023, 01:56 PM

cis het man was a rapist until he transformed into a beautiful transgender angel
is that your attempt at being witty?

#69 Mar 01, 2023, 08:47 PM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2023, 08:57 PM by jimmy jazz
Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 01, 2023, 08:30 PM

no thank you I'm not gonna come up with a title that requires reading up on this whole thing. My point is very simple. What that title conveys is 'a transgender person raped someone and is going to jail now'. That does not adequately capture what you said the article is mainly about. What it conveys (whether it's intentional or not doesn't matter) is that it's newsworthy (read: important, or a reason for general concern) that a transgender person has raped someone. The same goes for that guardian title you mentioned earlier actually. I'm not looking for anything far-fetched, if you still don't see this then I don't know how to explain it to you

The article is an update on an ongoing story and the title captures it fine.

You're completely ignoring relevant details which I've already said if you took out, then yes you may have a point. But they're there. What they had for breakfast isn't relevant, how they wipe their arse isn't relevant. But because of the issue over which prison she was held in and the transitioning before trial, that makes it relevant.

QuoteAlso, just to make sure it's not being misunderstood: I'm not saying the trans bit should not be mentioned in the headline, since in this particular case it's relevant. I'm saying the headline should reflect better why it is relevant, which is not just the fact that a trans person has raped someone.

Well tell us what you would have gone with. You can see why it is relevant once you read the article.

Only God knows.

#70 Mar 01, 2023, 09:31 PM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2023, 09:55 PM by Marie Monday
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 01, 2023, 08:47 PMYou're completely ignoring relevant details which I've already said if you took out, then yes you may have a point.
what
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 01, 2023, 08:47 PMWell tell us what you would have gone with.
I already told you I'm not reading up on it. If you do have the energy and you instst you can summarise the article for me

in the meantime, I've already discussed what the title conveys. It contains 3 facts: 1. someone committed rape 2. this person is trans 3. they're going to jail in Scotland. Nothing more. Combined with the fact that this is a headline (implying it's newsworthy) this means that the title conveys that the fact that (specifically) a trans person has committed a rape in itself is enough of a general source of concern to be newsworthy. If that would be an accurate representation of the story, the story would be transphobic: it would not be news in the same manner if the rapist were cisgender. Things are different when there are actual reasons why the trans identity is relevant, which you confirm to be the case. But then the title, as explained above, doesn't reflect that.

i find it helpful to read an article before forming an opinion on it

I'm not forming an opinion on the article but on the title, which I've read, you absolute oaf

You OK Marie? 😯

Only God knows.

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 01, 2023, 09:53 PMI'm not forming an opinion on the article but on the title, which I've read, you absolute oaf

personally i'd be embarrassed