Most recent acquisition

Miles Davis - In Person Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk (1961)

Great live recording, and if memory serves, the first live Miles album that was planned to be released as such during the performance. Hank Mobley on sax (after Coltrane left, before Shorter joined) and Wynton Kelly on piano, the quintet absolutely locks in for some stellar playing.

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Feb 04, 2023, 08:47 PMI can recommend one. Here My Dear from 1978 was an album Gaye had to record for a divorce settlement. You'd think he'd record something along the lines of Metal Machine Music but it is actually one of his best works. It's even a double album. I would definitely give that a listen.

EDIT: Missed Ribbons' mention but I liked the whole album. Otherwise you have to scour some of his hits, particularly from the sixties.

dang

talk about me being late to the party

it's hard for me to admit that wasn't on my radar as one of his best

al green's the belle album comes to mind

thanks Ribbons and Rubber Soul for helping my fill an embarrassing gap in an artist i thought i was fully hip to

Most recent acquisition:

The Fall - The Marshall Suite (New 2LP Red Translucent Repress):

If any of you are big fans of the band (e.g. @jadis ), now's the chance to get a reasonably priced LP copy of this record (it's limited to 1500 and hand numbered). I've got an LTEV pressing of it already, but that's a shoddy pressing - and this one contains the vinyl exclusive (1999) final track, "Finale: Tom Ragazzi".

Here's a link:
https://www.limitedadditionrecords.com/products/marshall-suite-translucent-red-numbered-double-vinyl-lp

The Cars—The Cars (1978)
I can't believe how long it took me to find this record. I could've ordered it through Discogs, but it just seemed like something I should be able to find in a record store so I waited. Driving home from visiting my parents for Mother's Day, I stopped at a record store in Connecticut, and BOOM, there it was and it was only $6! It has a slight warp but is otherwise in excellent condition and plays great. I owned this on cassette and I still own the CD, but this is just one of those albums I really wanted on vinyl. I'm listening to it as I write this and I'm still struck, after all these years, by what a fantastic album it is. Not a bad track on it. Stellar hooky songwriting from beginning to end, while somehow still maintaining a sense of weirdness. It's a masterclass in how to make a pop album.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Definitely a stone cold classic. Love the little analog synth leads peppered into those tracks too. The ending synth part to "Just What I Needed" is great fun to play.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Janszoon on May 16, 2023, 07:08 PM

The Cars—The Cars (1978)
I can't believe how long it took me to find this record. I could've ordered it through Discogs, but it just seemed like something I should be able to find in a record store so I waited. Driving home from visiting my parents for Mother's Day, I stopped at a record store in Connecticut, and BOOM, there it was and it was only $6! It has a slight warp but is otherwise in excellent condition and plays great. I owned this on cassette and I still own the CD, but this is just one of those albums I really wanted on vinyl. I'm listening to it as I write this and I'm still struck, after all these years, by what a fantastic album it is. Not a bad track on it. Stellar hooky songwriting from beginning to end, while somehow still maintaining a sense of weirdness. It's a masterclass in how to make a pop album.

one of the all time greatest debuts and it still sounds fresh

Great debut album.

Almost as great of a debut as Appetite For Destruction.

Quote from: SGR on May 17, 2023, 04:01 AMGreat debut album.

The Cars debut blows the fuck out of that fake led zeppelin wannabe bullshit

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 17, 2023, 04:35 AMThe Cars debut blows the fuck out of that fake led zeppelin wannabe bullshit

One of them still gets played at college parties though

Quote from: SGR on May 17, 2023, 04:01 AMGreat debut album.

Both are great albums in very different ways.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 17, 2023, 04:43 AMBoth are great albums in very different ways.

Here I was trying to do a bit of trolling and you just bypass it completely and take the high road.  :laughing:

:beer:

Quote from: SGR on May 17, 2023, 04:46 AMHere I was trying to do a bit of trolling and you just bypass it completely and take the high road.  :laughing:

:beer:

What can I say? I love both Appetite for Destruction, and maybe more controversially, Use Your Illusion II. Use Your Illusion I is ok too, but more equivalent to Heartbeat City IMO, if I'm going to beleaguer this comparison to Cars albums.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 17, 2023, 04:57 AMWhat can I say? I love both Appetite for Destruction, and maybe more controversially, Use Your Illusion II. Use Your Illusion I is ok too, but more equivalent to Heartbeat City IMO, if I'm going to beleaguer this comparison to Cars albums.

I wasn't around when the UYI albums came out originally, but I always got the impression that UYI 1 tended to get more love (maybe because of "November Rain"?). I agree though, UYI 2 was definitely the better album - much less filler and weak songwriting. Had some of their best tracks, "Civil War", "Estranged", "Yesterdays", "Locomotive", "You Could Be Mine", I even love their cover of "Knockin On Heaven's Door". UYI 2 is generally a lot more reflective and restrained when compared to UYI 1. That said, the closing track to UYI 1, "Coma", might be among my all time favorite GNR songs.

#88 May 17, 2023, 05:43 AM Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 05:47 AM by Janszoon
Quote from: SGR on May 17, 2023, 05:23 AMI wasn't around when the UYI albums came out originally, but I always got the impression that UYI 1 tended to get more love (maybe because of "November Rain"?). I agree though, UYI 2 was definitely the better album - much less filler and weak songwriting. Had some of their best tracks, "Civil War", "Estranged", "Yesterdays", "Locomotive", "You Could Be Mine", I even love their cover of "Knockin On Heaven's Door". UYI 2 is generally a lot more reflective and restrained when compared to UYI 1. That said, the closing track to UYI 1, "Coma", might be among my all time favorite GNR songs.

I was a freshman in high school when they came out and, yeah, UYI 1 seemed like it got more love at the time. To me, "Live and Let Die", "Perfect Crime", "Don't Cry", "November Rain", "Garden of Eden", and "Coma" are the only good tracks on UYI 1, and I'm not as enamored with "Coma" as you are. UYI 2, on the other hand, is pretty solid from start to finish. "Breakdown" and "So Fine" are the only weak tracks on the album, and even those aren't too bad.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 17, 2023, 05:43 AMI was a freshman in high school when they came out and, yeah, UYI 1 seemed like it got more love at the time. To me, "Live and Let Die", "Perfect Crime", "Don't Cry", "November Rain", "Garden of Eden", and "Coma" are the only good tracks on UYI 1, and I'm not as enamored with "Coma" as you are. UYI 2, on the other hand, is pretty solid from start to finish. "Breakdown" and "So Fine" are the only weak tracks on the album, and even those aren't too bad.

Are you a fan of "Get in the Ring" and "My World"?

When it comes to "Coma", cut me some slack, it reminds me of my teenage years when I thought I was invincible and the only material thing I really thought about were girls.  :laughing: