People being sneaky and failing at it.

Would be interesting to share some of the more ludicrous experiences everyone has had when dealing with those who try to be a touch too sneaky and fail badly at it, since I've had a brush with this type of person over the past few days. Having just got back from tennis, and after a conversation with one of the club members who tried to sell me some second hand shoes for $20 more than he had them advertised on Gumtree (online classified site), I am having an interesting day.  :laughing:

Even though I'd agreed to his price of $100 (he was advertising them elsewhere for $80 and even though I had been aware of this ad, I had left my phone at home so was unsure of the price at the time) out of courtesy for someone who I thought was trying to do good by me (I had been waiting 2-3 weeks for him to bring the shoes into the club for me to look at as he was recently away on holiday), I had only given him half of the money on Wednesday and was going to give him the other $50 today but worked out Wednesday night that his very own ad for the very same shoe, was one that I had put on my Gumtree Watchlist and had been following for about 3 weeks at a price of $80.

Instead, today I told him to take the shoes back and give me my $50 back (the half payment I had given him on Wednesday) since he was showing such a lack of respect and to have insulted me like that. He started make some stuff up about how I'd suggested the price of $100 (I hadn't done any of the sort, as I literally asked him what his price for them were without suggesting anything) and then he seemed confused when I said it was insulting and disrespectful to try to sell me the exact same thing that he was trying to get $20 less for elsewhere. He then tries to make out that by me testing how they fitted on the previous Wednesday (I played tennis in them for a couple of hours and haven't used them since so I've hardly touched them at all) meant they were mine now. There was no obligation for me to buy them having tried them out and he had already acknowledged this by saying I should test them out first before making a decision so his logic here is nonsense.

For a guy who seemed to come across as a nice bloke since I had joined the club a month ago, this is some really disappointingly sneaky shit (and pretty stupid of him to assume that I wouldn't have searched Gumtree for tennis shoes and seen his ad) and he even had the nerve to ask me whether its worth having a disagreement over $20 which I kind of laughed at. To this I replied, "the difference of $20 is all your doing and if had asked me for $80 like you have for everyone else who frequents Gumtree online classifieds, then there is no issue."

Will be interesting next Wednesday to see what he does and whether I get my $50 back because he even started telling me that I could have them for $80 and when I kept saying "no, I just want to return them for the money I've given you" he then says I can have them for $50. I dont even want them for $50. I literally just want to forget about them altogether and go buy something else since I am that tired of his attitude.

People really can be rather silly.  ::)

He sounds like an ass!! If you like them I'd be happy with them for $50 but I also would want to give them him back so he has to start again with the hassle of trying to sell them.

I can't think of many but I have a story that always sticks out in my mind about some tourists...

I used to have a blue Great Dane and my boyfriend and I were travelling up to the Isle of Skye for a holiday with her.

My family have always had Great Danes so people that live locally wouldn't find it that unusual to see her.

Anyway while travelling we stopped in at Luss, Loch Lomond which is a tourist heavy area and a common stopping place for coaches etc, so we let my dog out the back of my tiny Ford Fiesta 😂 to stretch her legs and get a drink etc and lots of tourists spoke to us about her and we're fascinated by her size. A few wanted pictures with her etc but a few stood back and would hold their phones awkwardly by their sides sneakily trying to take pictures of her and I found it hilarious 😂. That must've been around 7 or 8 years ago now, I hope I never forget it 😂.

#2 Oct 24, 2023, 12:13 PM Last Edit: Oct 24, 2023, 12:21 PM by Meatwad
Everyone likes a good dog photo  :)  . Pretty sure my last photo of a dog was in India at a petrol station about 50km away from Delhi.

I had just got off the bus with a few others and was sitting down on a bench eating my snacks and drink watching these two local mutts fight over a chip packet. Im not even sure if there were actually any chips in it but it was good entertainment for a couple of minutes. Got a couple of good action shots since I was being the typical cliched tourist wearing my DSLR everywhere.  :laughing:

As for the shoes, I know he was having trouble selling them since the only offer he admitted he'd previously got from anyone was $50 after I pointed out his deception, plus they were listed for sale for about a month so there clearly isn't a lot of people after them.