#45 Sep 25, 2023, 10:39 PM Last Edit: Sep 25, 2023, 10:53 PM by Lexi Darling
Quote from: ribbons on Sep 25, 2023, 09:13 PMMrs. Waffles, I've worn these exact shoes at Christmas in the past.  Nothing earth-shattering here, but they were surprisingly lightweight and didn't scuff floors.  I wore the red (because I wore them with a black skirt), but they also come in black.  Anyway, you and Mr. Waffles will choose what's best for you but of course I had to put my 2¢ in.  :D

Very exciting that you will be hosting Christmas!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266224053945?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D76d07d21f4b64547b077e77f7284c0c6%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D175912061304%26itm%3D266224053945%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWebV9BertRefreshRanker%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4429486.c101224.m-1

I love those! I have shoes that are similar. I think the mister is really more concerned with our guests' shoes, he knows I keep both of our shoes nice and clean and as far as I know it's really only stilettos that do real damage to hardwood anyway. I've just never had a situation before where I've asked or even thought that much about wearing shoes at home before, so there's no precedent for protocol yet.

And thank you! It's an honor to host the party for everyone this year. Even more exciting is my sister will be in the US from Thanksgiving to New Years, so I'm super looking forward to the holiday season.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#46 Sep 25, 2023, 10:57 PM Last Edit: Sep 25, 2023, 11:04 PM by ribbons
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 25, 2023, 10:39 PMI love those! I have shoes that are similar. I think the mister is really more concerned with our guests' shoes, he knows I keep both of our shoes nice and clean and as far as I know it's really only stilettos that do real damage to hardwood anyway. I've just never had a situation before where I've asked or even thought that much about wearing shoes at home before, so there's no precedent for protocol yet.

And thank you! It's an honor to host the party for everyone this year. Even more exciting is my sister will be in the US from Thanksgiving to New Years, so I'm super looking forward to the holiday season.

Got it!  Apologies for misunderstanding - I thought you were trying to think of comfortable shoe alternatives to wearing slippers while hostessing Christmas, lol.  :D

So happy that you'll be able to enjoy the holidays with your sister present this year!

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 25, 2023, 10:57 PMGot it!  Apologies for misunderstanding - I thought you were thinking of comfortable shoe alternatives vs. wearing slippers while hostessing Christmas, lol.  :D

Oh, no, you're totally good. I got some of it a bit muddled in my head, the cat woke me up at 2:30 AM again and I'm here hopped up on Red Bull getting everything jumbled up. I wasn't sure if we were talking my comfort or his protocol, so I kind of flopped between them. Sorry for the confusion!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 25, 2023, 07:45 AMThanks for sharing about your guitars, Tore.  I enjoyed reading that, as I'm a bit of a closet guitar nerd even though I rarely play these days.  I have heard that Godins are amazing guitars.  I really hope your friend can make a Tele style guitar for you (and it bodes well that he's a perfectionist!).  I have always loved Teles and gravitated toward them, despite the occasional hankering for Les Pauls which I think are beautiful guitars; but for me, a Les Paul is like trying to pick up a chair and play it, lol.  They are just too heavy.  ::)

I have a Squier Classic Vibe Tele (pictured here - in "vintage" white  :D).  The acoustic is a Guild M-120 mahogany parlor guitar. 

Nice! I've been looking for a Guild, but they're somewhat rare over here.

Like you, I find Les Pauls to be beautiful. I agree that they're heavy (and unbalanced), but the relatively short neck is very comfortable to play, I think. I wouldn't mind one, although it's not near the top of my want list. Overall, I do gravitate towards strats and teles (at least visually), but I might like a slightly shorter neck. So that's one of the things I'm hoping for with my custom guitar; to get to make some choices like this :)

About Godin, I've considered them a sorta hidden treasure of the guitar world. At least here, because I think a lot of people like to buy acoustics in stores still and you rarely (if ever) see Godins in stores here. From my experience, they're extremely well built, generally awesome to play and they used to be very cheap. Maybe they still are, but I wonder if that's changed now. The only downside I know of is they typically aren't sexy, although this is less an issue with their acoustics and more an issue with their electrics. Plus, this is just my opinion.

I've had 5 godin guitars now. A 1993 acousticaster which was awesome. I never should have sold it. I still have a Multiac nylon guitar which has built-in special pickups that make it compatible with roland guitar synths. I believe it is the most expensive guitar I have. I had the Godin LG P90 which was great, but that I sold. Then I have an awesome Seagull (one of their acoustic brands) artist studio in sunburst which was made for studio recording and a cheaper (but still very nice) Seagull S6 Original Cedar.

All these guitars are brilliant to my mind 🙂

I don't visit guitar shops often, but if I do, I like to just play some and see what I like. Last time I bought a guitar like that, I ended up buying a Yamaha FGX3 acoustic which was brilliant.. The build quality wasn't great because the glue on the back bracings came undone, but the warranty covered repairs and now it's back home again after a 9 months repair trip around the world. So that was dumb, but the sound and playability is tremendous.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 25, 2023, 11:02 PMOh, no, you're totally good. I got some of it a bit muddled in my head, the cat woke me up at 2:30 AM again and I'm here hopped up on Red Bull getting everything jumbled up. I wasn't sure if we were talking my comfort or his protocol, so I kind of flopped between them. Sorry for the confusion!

Absolutely no apology necessary, Mrs. Waffles - I'm mixing up absolutely everything lately.  Sorry the cat woke you up - ugh!  You are very sweet to take care of her.  You have me laughing about Red Bull now - I have never tried the stuff, but maybe I should!  Not getting much sleep lately either and feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.  My only saving grace today is it's Yom Kippur, so most folks are out of the office and I can zone out with no one noticing.  :laughing:

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 25, 2023, 11:18 PMAbsolutely no apology necessary, Mrs. Waffles - I'm mixing up absolutely everything lately.  Sorry the cat woke you up - ugh!  You are very sweet to take care of her.  You have me laughing about Red Bull now - I have never tried the stuff, but maybe I should!  Not getting much sleep lately either and feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.  My only saving grace today is it's Yom Kippur, so most folks are out of the office and I can zone out with no one noticing.  :laughing:

Noooo don't go down the Red Bull rabbit hole. My wife is addicted to them and they are so not good for your heart. Well most energy drinks aren't. Just stick to coffee if you have the time to make it.

I was this cool the whole time.

Yeah energy drinks were a problem that's why Mrs. Waffles needs to ask me to have them now.

My dad drinks those energy drinks. I hate it and am desperate for him to stop ☹️

Only God knows.

#53 Sep 26, 2023, 07:34 PM Last Edit: Sep 26, 2023, 07:58 PM by ribbons
Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 25, 2023, 11:14 PMNice! I've been looking for a Guild, but they're somewhat rare over here.

Like you, I find Les Pauls to be beautiful. I agree that they're heavy (and unbalanced), but the relatively short neck is very comfortable to play, I think. I wouldn't mind one, although it's not near the top of my want list. Overall, I do gravitate towards strats and teles (at least visually), but I might like a slightly shorter neck. So that's one of the things I'm hoping for with my custom guitar; to get to make some choices like this :)

About Godin, I've considered them a sorta hidden treasure of the guitar world. At least here, because I think a lot of people like to buy acoustics in stores still and you rarely (if ever) see Godins in stores here. From my experience, they're extremely well built, generally awesome to play and they used to be very cheap. Maybe they still are, but I wonder if that's changed now. The only downside I know of is they typically aren't sexy, although this is less an issue with their acoustics and more an issue with their electrics. Plus, this is just my opinion.

I've had 5 godin guitars now. A 1993 acousticaster which was awesome. I never should have sold it. I still have a Multiac nylon guitar which has built-in special pickups that make it compatible with roland guitar synths. I believe it is the most expensive guitar I have. I had the Godin LG P90 which was great, but that I sold. Then I have an awesome Seagull (one of their acoustic brands) artist studio in sunburst which was made for studio recording and a cheaper (but still very nice) Seagull S6 Original Cedar.

All these guitars are brilliant to my mind 🙂

I don't visit guitar shops often, but if I do, I like to just play some and see what I like. Last time I bought a guitar like that, I ended up buying a Yamaha FGX3 acoustic which was brilliant.. The build quality wasn't great because the glue on the back bracings came undone, but the warranty covered repairs and now it's back home again after a 9 months repair trip around the world. So that was dumb, but the sound and playability is tremendous.

Once again, I really enjoyed reading your guitar musings, Tore - thanks!  Now I'm inspired to read about the Godins and Seagulls you've mentioned; sorry you had to part with the Acousticaster.  Hopefully the super-customized Tele your friend builds for you will make up for that, and then some.

My *the one that got away* guitar was a used Gibson Hummingbird that played like a dream and had perfect easy action.  I eventually strung it with a Nashville tuning and it just rang out beautifully.  Ah, memories...   :)

Quote from: DJChameleon on Sep 26, 2023, 01:36 PMNoooo don't go down the Red Bull rabbit hole. My wife is addicted to them and they are so not good for your heart. Well most energy drinks aren't. Just stick to coffee if you have the time to make it.

Thanks for the warning - I was going to try Red Bull, as they have it in the cafeteria here, just to see what it's like, but may as well avoid it.  I hope your wife will be able to cut back as it's obviously unhealthy. 

I regularly drink Ito En Oi Ocha iced green tea, which has a moderate amount of caffeine, but lately I've been drinking way too much of it.  So I think that's one of the reasons I've had trouble sleeping lately.

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 26, 2023, 07:34 PMOnce again, I really enjoyed reading your guitar musings, Tore - thanks!  Now I'm inspired to read about the Godins and Seagulls you've mentioned; sorry you had to part with the Acousticaster.  Hopefully the super-customized Tele your friend builds for you will make up for that, and then some.

My *the one that got away* guitar was a used Gibson Hummingbird that played like a dream and had perfect easy action.  I eventually strung it with a Nashville tuning and it just rang out beautifully.  Ah, memories...   :)

A hummingbird got away from me too! A guy was selling one second hand. We made a deal that I would drive to his place about an hour away on a Sunday and pick it up. So I did, but when I got there, he was not home and had sold the guitar to someone else. Just completely disregarded the deal we'd made.

I've done a lot of second hand buying and selling and this is my worst experience yet.

I still want a hummingbird 😄 but I'm at peace with not having one.

How did yours get away?

Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 26, 2023, 08:21 PMA hummingbird got away from me too! A guy was selling one second hand. We made a deal that I would drive to his place about an hour away on a Sunday and pick it up. So I did, but when I got there, he was not home and had sold the guitar to someone else. Just completely disregarded the deal we'd made.

I've done a lot of second hand buying and selling and this is my worst experience yet.

I still want a hummingbird 😄 but I'm at peace with not having one.

How did yours get away?

Nice guy.  :(  That's terrible!

Both our hummingbirds flew away.    ???

Although, in my case, I set it free and it never came back.  I had bought it in high school with money saved from my first job.  And sold it shortly before I got married.  Yes, I was stupid.  :embarassed:

I'd still like a hummingbird too, but am OK not having one.  We are very *Zen* in that respect, Tore. :D

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 26, 2023, 08:36 PMNice guy.  :(  That's terrible!

Both our hummingbirds flew away.    ???

Although, in my case, I set it free and it never came back.  I had bought it in high school with money saved from my first job.  And sold it shortly before I got married.  Yes, I was stupid.  :embarassed:

I'd still like a hummingbird too, but am OK not having one.  We are very *Zen* in that respect, Tore. :D

Yes. And having never even played pne, who knows.. I might even prefer the guitars I already have 🙂

A little while ago, I was watching a YouTube video with a guy playing old vintage keyboards, especially a wurlitzer and also comparing the Fender Rhodes Mark I and II. Now, I LOVE the sound of the Fender Rhodes Mark I, which is why I was watching it in the first place. It sounded great.

Then the guy says something interesting. Despite having these old keyboards, he doesn't actually play them that much. The reason is he has a Yamaha reface CP synth that emulates all these and does so rather well, so he plays that instead. It doesn't have a good range of keys, but he fixes that by controlling it with a full range midi controller and sustain pedal.

My own Fender Rhodes is a plugin in my studio computer, so way too inaccessible when I'm in the house, so.. I didn't even have to think about it. I just ordered a Yamaha reface CP for myself and it came today.

So now it's sitting on top of our clavinova and hooked up to its midi out so I can play it with our piano and pedals. It sounds absolutely lovely! So I've been tickling the ivories quite a bit today, fully mesmerized.

I'm real happy with it 😊

Nice, @Guybrush! I'm envious. I found a stockpile of albums prominently featuring the Rhodes in a torrent a while back and I put together a playlist of favorites.

Post a vid of you performing "Angela (the Theme From 'Taxi')" and I'll go to pieces. :)

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Sep 22, 2023, 10:39 PMI'm a born thrifter notorious for finding incredible deals. I went to a local library sale yesterday and scored some fun loot!

A mint unopened copy of the mammoth 700pg AllMusic Guide to Electronica: The Definitive Guide to Electronic Music

Now I'm getting silly -- stupid me wants that book just because the Orb are on the cover.  I absolutely adore the Orb.  It's really hard to get better than them.