Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 06:27 PMit's a nice sentiment but trying such a bluff would be bad business and no one would flinch - they'd just look stupid and their stock would tank

That sums it up in a proverbial nutshell.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:44 AM
Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 04:38 AMhttps://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/tennessee-ban-drag-show-performances-governor/index.html

QuoteThe bill, which the Tennessee House passed last week, defines an adult cabaret performance as a performance "that features topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest, or similar entertainers."

a man wearing a suit can read to a children but a man wearing a dress cannot

Why would anyone take their kid somewhere where a topless stripper is reading books?
can I ask a better question? Why not?

My favorite baby sitter growing up was a stripper who always wore a thong so she could tan her ass. She really didn't have much of an ass or even tits for that matter.  But that was OK cause neither did any of the girls in my class at the time. 

Can I ask an even better question? You had a stripper as a babysitter? Where were all these women when I was a kid???

Technically she was babysitting my sister who was like 6. I was like 12 but my dad didn't trust me watching my sister. Probably a good choice. I was definitely a fan of the arrangement.

She used to show me and my friend someof the shit she would wear at the strip club. Not wearing them she just showed us the actual clothes. And she told us about how pissed she got at her boyfriend cause she caught him jerking off in the car outside looking at some dirty magazine :laughing:

In retrospect she might have been an actual groomer.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 17, 2023, 11:31 PMI'm not up to speed on Desantis at all, but maybe there's a Last Week Tonight episode I can watch.

One just came out:

The man seems like a huge knob.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Oh, he is definitely a piece of work.

The Word has spoken :D

https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-florida-undercover-agents-drag-show-found-nothing-lewd-2023-3

DeSantis administration sent undercover agents to an Orlando drag show and they found nothing wrong with it. The state is still trying to punish the venue.

after the pulse mass shooting he sends the police to attack and not protect

i'm not even sure if it's about political expediency or of it's just pure hate

like before i thought he was fueling is campaign with hate but now i'm thinking he wants to be powerful so he can exercise his hatefulness

wikipedia says he worked directly with detainees at guantanamo bay - he was probably involved with torturing people - the entire operation of the place is based on torture so in a sense there's no doubt but there's probably also a behind the scene story - obviously we have no clue how bad things get there but i'm sure we don't know the worst of it

https://apnews.com/article/d3a9c91f4b5383a5bf6df6f7d8ff65b6

QuoteThe rule change would ban lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity from grades 4 to 12

the school district i used to teach in recently had a board meeting that ran seven hours with around 90% of the speakers espousing anti lgbtq rhetoric

speaking time is limited to 3 minutes or 5 minutes based on what forms who filled out in advance

but anyway that many conservative bigots were there

nothing like this has happened in my life where a governor generated this much vitriol against a minority

i almost feel like it's aggressive (like synth i know you don't like being constantly reminded) to keep bumping this thread but we're not supposed to ignore this stuff either

i made a donation to GLAAD which for me is probably the best i can do as far as being part of the solution and not the problem with the energy i have now - i'm tired

i really think it's time to act because this is starting to feel really wrong

#102 Mar 23, 2023, 02:29 PM Last Edit: Mar 23, 2023, 02:33 PM by Guybrush
I don't wanna sound like a judgy Jerome or Negative Nelly, but it is weird seeing the US and what seems to be some of the conversations being had over there. LGBTQ negatively affecting school (?), how much of an issue is it really? Like in terms of things that corrupt americas youth (since schools are mentioned, I just assume they care about this), how high does lgbtq-related things rank? By my own metrics, I just assume it'd rank somewhere close to the bottom - as in not a problematic issue at all.

As a society, shouldn't you be rather be talking about health care, education or poverty/homelessness? It's like Trump going on about building the wall. Don't you have more pressing matters and better ways to spend your funds, your time and your energy?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 23, 2023, 02:29 PMI don't wanna sound like a judgy Jerome or Negative Nelly, but it is weird seeing the US and what seems to be some of the conversations being had over there. LGBTQ negatively affecting school (?), how much of an issue is it really? Like in terms of things that corrupt americas youth (since schools are mentioned, I just assume they care about this), how high does lgbtq-related things rank? By my own metrics, I just assume it'd rank somewhere close to the bottom - as in not a problematic issue at all.

As a society, shouldn't you be rather be talking about health care, education or poverty/homelessness? It's like Trump going on about building the wall. Don't you have more pressing matters and better ways to spend your funds, your time and your energy?

issues centered around uplifting the poor and wealth redistribution are always a top priority and normally i stay on that course because i believe wealth shields minorities from oppression almost always

but in this case certain things are happening that must not be ignored

i'd be thrilled if the cultural right left the matter alone and left lgbtq people to their own business but they won't- they keep pushing hate in both rhetoric and legislation

it is a distraction from class struggles but we can't leave a vulnerable subset unprotected when they're being targeted

i'm not obsessed with the issue (not claiming youre saying i am either) but i am obsessed with halting this intense new wave of hatred seeing as to how i'm not going to stand idle until they're firing up the ovens

beyond the present, even if this wasn't happening a certain amount of queer visibility is essential for our cultural health and to protect the psychological health of potentially isolated queer youth

and we need to help the poor

Does anyone not believe that DeSantis is going to run on a campaign slogan of MASA - Make America Straight Again?  :rage:  :yikes:  :palmface: