Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:44 AMWhy would anyone take their kid somewhere where a topless stripper is reading books?

Nobody said anything about topless strippers. This bill will be invoked to ban "performance" (a very loose category of actions) by "gender impersonators" (which means whatever the transphobes invoking the law want it to mean) in any public place, children are allowed most places, you know.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Synth, if your talking about Michael Knowles, pretty sure he's referring to what these scientists concluded about gender identity.  I read that same Beast article so I was just reading a bit more from what they cited.

No Biological Evidence For 'Gender Identity' Exists, Group Of Scientists, Researchers Says

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 05, 2023, 04:50 AM
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:44 AMWhy would anyone take their kid somewhere where a topless stripper is reading books?

Nobody said anything about topless strippers. This bill will be invoked to ban "performance" (a very loose category of actions) by "gender impersonators" (which means whatever the transphobes invoking the law want it to mean) in any public place, children are allowed most places, you know.

Oh, I was referring to the language in the first part of the bill you quoted.  It mentioned strippers and exotic dancers and stuff.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:44 AM
Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 04:38 AMhttps://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/tennessee-ban-drag-show-performances-governor/index.html

QuoteThe bill, which the Tennessee House passed last week, defines an adult cabaret performance as a performance "that features topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest, or similar entertainers."

a man wearing a suit can read to a children but a man wearing a dress cannot

Why would anyone take their kid somewhere where a topless stripper is reading books?

i'm done with this subject with you

the point has been made crystal clear

i'm disappointed in you

#78 Mar 05, 2023, 04:55 AM Last Edit: Mar 05, 2023, 04:58 AM by Lady of Synth
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:53 AMSynth, if your talking about Michael Knowles, pretty sure he's referring to what these scientists concluded about gender identity.

No Biological Evidence For 'Gender Identity' Exists, Group Of Scientists, Researchers Says

The fact that you're linking me to the Daily Wire is... very telling to say the least.

But no, I'm actually referring to the part where he said that transgender people must be eradicated.

And de-legitimizing our cultural identity is a textbook first step for genocide.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:53 AMOh, I was referring to the language in the first part of the bill you quoted.  It mentioned strippers and exotic dancers and stuff.

The point is that the bill (especially the "male or female impersonators" bit) is vague enough to cover so much that can and will be used against any gender non conforming people doing things in public places.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 05, 2023, 04:55 AM
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:53 AMSynth, if your talking about Michael Knowles, pretty sure he's referring to what these scientists concluded about gender identity.

The fact that you're linking me to the Daily Wire is... very telling to say the least.

But no, I'm actually referring to the part where he said that transgender people must be eradicated.

And de-legitimizing our cultural identity is a textbook first step for genocide.

Having read your article, it appears that he defines being transgender as a condition that's alterable in some way.  He doesn't seem to define it as some kind of physical or immutable characteristic based on that Daily Beast article you linked to.

The reason I linked to the Daily Wire article is to give you context as to the source of his commentary. You brought him up, so it's relevant to the discussion.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 05, 2023, 05:00 AMThe point is that the bill (especially the "male or female impersonators" bit) is vague enough to cover so much that can and will be used against any gender non conforming people doing things in public places.

So you can be trans in public and walk around in whatever clothing you want but you can't do a pole dance? I agree that its way too vague.  What a pointless bill.

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 04:55 AM
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 04:44 AM
Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 04:38 AMhttps://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/tennessee-ban-drag-show-performances-governor/index.html

QuoteThe bill, which the Tennessee House passed last week, defines an adult cabaret performance as a performance "that features topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest, or similar entertainers."

a man wearing a suit can read to a children but a man wearing a dress cannot

Why would anyone take their kid somewhere where a topless stripper is reading books?

i'm done with this subject with you

the point has been made crystal clear

i'm disappointed in you

I already got your point.  I was just pointing out the bill's language is nonsensically vague and stupid since the vast majority of people aren't taking kids to places where strippers or drag performers would be.  It's cruel and punitive.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 05:03 AMHaving read your article, it appears that he defines being transgender as a condition that's alterable in some way.  He doesn't seem to define it as some kind of physical or immutable characteristic based on that Daily Beast article you linked to.

The reason I linked to the Daily Wire article is to give you context as to the source of his commentary. You brought him up, so it's relevant to the discussion.

I frankly don't give a shit how conservatives define being transgender. None of that is the point, and you are either being deliberately obtuse or you aren't anywhere near educated enough on this subject to speak on it. I want to assume the best of you, please listen to trans voices on this.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 05, 2023, 05:14 AM
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 05:03 AMHaving read your article, it appears that he defines being transgender as a condition that's alterable in some way.  He doesn't seem to define it as some kind of physical or immutable characteristic based on that Daily Beast article you linked to.

I frankly don't give a shit how conservatives define being transgender. None of that is the point, and you are either being deliberately obtuse or you aren't anywhere near educated enough on this subject to speak on it. I want to assume the best of you, please listen to trans voices on this.

It is the point, because I'm not the one who needs convincing. It's all the other people out there who care about definitions of biological vs some abstract sense of identity far more than I do. If you believe you are something, then nobody should be able to tell you otherwise.  It's not an emotional thing for me, but it's part of the world we live in, no?

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 05:26 AMIt is the point, because I'm not the one who needs convincing. It's all the other people out there who care about definitions of biological vs some abstract sense of identity far more than I do. If you believe you are something, then nobody should be able to tell you otherwise.

I appreciate this, thank you. It's sad that our right to exist is up for debate in a place that prides itself as being a supposed land of the free. The way you came off it felt to me like you were seeing the conservatives' view on us as a legitimate stance, I misunderstood you and for that I apologize.

#85 Mar 05, 2023, 05:48 AM Last Edit: Mar 05, 2023, 05:50 AM by Nimbly9
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 05, 2023, 05:33 AM
Quote from: Nimbly9 on Mar 05, 2023, 05:26 AMIt is the point, because I'm not the one who needs convincing. It's all the other people out there who care about definitions of biological vs some abstract sense of identity far more than I do. If you believe you are something, then nobody should be able to tell you otherwise.

I appreciate this, thank you. It's sad that our right to exist is up for debate in a place that prides itself as being a supposed land of the free. The way you came off it felt to me like you were seeing the conservatives' view on us as a legitimate stance, I misunderstood you and for that I apologize.

No problem. I appreciate that you took the time to answer all my questions. It isn't really my place to speak for anyone who identifies as transgender.  All I can say is that the opposition cares a lot more about the biological question of it all for reasons that are not particularly relevant.  But what they don't understand is that the answer doesn't matter if the outcome is going to hurt someone.

Could someone explain to me why, if DeSatan is punishing Disney, they don't just fuck off out of Florida? I mean, I know they've been there for decades, and it would be an expensive move, but the revenue the state would lose if Disney "outsourced" or transferred to another, more liberal or at least tolerant state, should surely put the gun in their hands and force DeSantis to back down, no? And if Florida DID lose Disney, then surely he would lose all his votes? Jobs? Prestige? Tradition? Revenue income? That would kill him. So why are Disney just bending over and taking it when the power is in their hands?

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 05, 2023, 04:52 PMCould someone explain to me why, if DeSatan is punishing Disney, they don't just fuck off out of Florida? I mean, I know they've been there for decades, and it would be an expensive move, but the revenue the state would lose if Disney "outsourced" or transferred to another, more liberal or at least tolerant state, should surely put the gun in their hands and force DeSantis to back down, no? And if Florida DID lose Disney, then surely he would lose all his votes? Jobs? Prestige? Tradition? Revenue income? That would kill him. So why are Disney just bending over and taking it when the power is in their hands?

disney isn't going to intentionally lose money to make a point

tourists should boycott florida though but that's unlikely- orlando miami the keys and everywhere with a beach for spring break

then there's college football florida state and florida and the orange bowl game

baseball spring training

it's on and on

Come on that's bull. They don't even have to do it, just threaten it. Can you imagine the panic Florida would be in if Disney announced they were even "considering relocating to another state in the wake of recent state interference in the running of Disneyworld" or whatever? The threat would be enough. People would be up in arms, surely? Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me a very large percentage of Florida's annual income does not come thanks to an oversized mouse and duck everyone wants to see? They may have other revenue streams, but this has to be on a par with, I don't know, Madison Square Gardens closing in New York or The Eiffel Tower being relocated outside Paris?

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 05, 2023, 05:45 PMCome on that's bull. They don't even have to do it, just threaten it. Can you imagine the panic Florida would be in if Disney announced they were even "considering relocating to another state in the wake of recent state interference in the running of Disneyworld" or whatever? The threat would be enough. People would be up in arms, surely? Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me a very large percentage of Florida's annual income does not come thanks to an oversized mouse and duck everyone wants to see? They may have other revenue streams, but this has to be on a par with, I don't know, Madison Square Gardens closing in New York or The Eiffel Tower being relocated outside Paris?

it's a nice sentiment but trying such a bluff would be bad business and no one would flinch - they'd just look stupid and their stock would tank

disney thinks long term and they consider despite hiccups along the way - gay acceptance is the future and they don't want to be on the wrong side of history

still they want everyone's money despite thier politics

i'm not against disney moving to new orleans or atlanta or whatever- i think that would be a bad ass flex but it's not even on the radar

disney sea world and universal studios are all in orlando- they're in a synergistic money making mecca

also disney is probably the most progressive major employer in florida - desantis will move on and they can get their economic zone back - or they could move and who knows about the devil you don't know - like disney in new jersey just isn't happening

like i said - a boycott is the realistic play