Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2023, 10:19 PMI wonder if AI and its advances will be what ultimately leads to UBI?

caring for the disenfranchised has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with culture

no technological revolution will do anything but further depress the impoverished until we collectively decide that the poor suffering at the expense of the rich is unacceptable

we've had the scientific applications to largely alleviate the harsh edges of poverty since the advent of agriculture

to start we need to stop worshipping "merit"

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 15, 2023, 07:15 PMboo to this post
Retirement age should certainly be adjusted to the type of work someone does

Sure.  I mean, that's what the millitary service guys do for the most part.  They put in about 20 years or so then retire in their late 40's / early 50's.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2023, 10:19 PMI wonder if AI and its advances will be what ultimately leads to UBI?

Probably.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 15, 2023, 05:06 PMyeah good point

i'll set up my venmo so you can send me your social security payout since it's such a burden

SS is gonna be exhausted by the time I get to that age, so no dice.

QuoteFlorida officials are threatening to revoke the teaching license of a school superintendent who criticized Gov. Ron DeSantis, accusing the educator of violating several statutes and DeSantis directives and allowing his "personal political views" to guide his leadership.

Such a revocation by the state Department of Education could allow DeSantis to remove Leon County Superintendent Rocky Hanna from his elected office. The Republican governor did that last year to an elected Democratic prosecutor in the Tampa Bay area who disagreed with his positions limiting abortion and medical care for transgender teens and indicated he might not enforce new laws in those areas.

Disney also sued DeSantis this week, saying he targeted its Orlando theme parks for retribution after it criticized the governor's so-called "Don't Say Gay" law that then banned the discussion of sexuality and gender in early grades, but has since been expanded.

Nicolae Ceaușescu did a lot of this kind of stuff.

Even Ceaușescu wouldn't have gone after Mickey Mouse (...actually, he probably would've)

Quote from: SGR on Apr 29, 2023, 10:17 PMEven Ceaușescu wouldn't have gone after Mickey Mouse (...actually, he probably would've)

i read a biography on him and what impressed me was how little it took to scare the people into submission

until one special christmas day (if you're reading this ronnie, know your fucking history, tough guy)

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 29, 2023, 10:51 PMi read a biography on him and what impressed me was how little it took to scare the people into submission

until one special christmas day (if you're reading this ronnie, know your fucking history, tough guy)

Do you remember what the name of the book was? I read a book on that time period of Romania, but it wasn't specifically a biography of the guy

Quote from: SGR on Apr 29, 2023, 11:49 PMDo you remember what the name of the book was? I read a book on that time period of Romania, but it wasn't specifically a biography of the guy

yes and i highly recommend it:

Kiss the Hand You Cannot Bite: The Rise and Fall of the Ceausescus by Edward Behr

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 30, 2023, 12:09 AMyes and i highly recommend it:

Kiss the Hand You Cannot Bite: The Rise and Fall of the Ceausescus by Edward Behr

Thanks man! I'll check it out!

Florida rejects Holocaust ed textbooks in clampdown on 'woke' instruction

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-742839

QuoteOne of this year's rejected Holocaust textbooks was called "Modern Genocides," and the other was an online learning course titled "History of the Holocaust." Both were intended for high school students.

disney and jews are two groups you don't want to fuck with in florida

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 13, 2023, 11:33 AMFlorida rejects Holocaust ed textbooks in clampdown on 'woke' instruction

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-742839

disney and jews are two groups you don't want to fuck with in florida

I still think that going after Disney ("they're going after Mickey Mouse!") is a losing political proposition.

"Another law, called the "Stop WOKE Act," bans educators from making students feel guilt or shame in relation to historical events."

Despite that the term 'woke' being included in an official government act seems ridiculous to me, I think I agree with this. I don't know why children should be made to feel guilty for things they had nothing to do with. They should be taught though why historical events were wrong so that they'd never repeat it or accept the motivations for why these events happened into their own worldview.

Quote from: SGR on May 13, 2023, 05:00 PMI still think that going after Disney ("they're going after Mickey Mouse!") is a losing political proposition.

"Another law, called the "Stop WOKE Act," bans educators from making students feel guilt or shame in relation to historical events."

Despite that the term 'woke' being included in an official government act seems ridiculous to me, I think I agree with this. I don't know why children should be made to feel guilty for things they had nothing to do with. They should be taught though why historical events were wrong so that they'd never repeat it or accept the motivations for why these events happened into their own worldview.

well i used to teach history not that makes me an authority or anything but i felt like on some things the truth is the truth - it's not about feelings - a had black students complain about how much a harped on slavery because they felt like it made black people seem weak - i had students that asked indignantly why i focused so much on specific details concerning horrific events

that's what fucking happened that's why

also, and how i got away with it god only knows, i was completely open about my total disgust with america and so on but i told them other people just as smart as me and much smarter than me disagree with me - i'm telling you my OPINION (when it was opinion)

i tried very hard to emphasize that everyone has an angle and it's up to them to figure out what it is but there is no objective history- it's cooked into everything including what i decide to emphasize and that also goes for teachers who pretend they're objective or even mistakenly think they are

one example of something kind of interesting was i had a student who argued that plague deaths in europe were more important than native american plague deaths because europeans had more geopolitical influence and i was like lost futures are just as important in my opinion

her mom came in and i immediately started complimenting her daughter for her excellent engagement and she was like oh i figured you were so liberal you might hold her positions against her and i was like nah it's not like that at all and after that her mom said she was really glad her daughter was in my class

but it doesn't really matter if it's hillary and no child left behind or desantis anti wokism - to me people who don't know shit about what it means to be a good teacher should mind their own fucking business

i know i'll get heat for equating the two but no child left behind was devastating for the lower quartile - black poor disenfranchised students were profoundly hurt

it's not the same politically as directly attacking a minority like desantis but in terms of actual damage no child left behind had a lot more carnage than people realize

Quote from: Nimbly9 on May 13, 2023, 10:16 PM

that skit was so funny

when he said he saw ye's tweet he noticed he put two words together that never ends well "the" and "jews" lol

it will be the last thing humans invent