Welcome @Scarlet ! I'm so happy to see you here 😊

Happiness is a warm manatee

Welcome to @MonaSomona !

I saw you sign up at MB earlier, but I think this is the place to be now 🙂

Hi all, I'm a noob.

My name is Hope and I've lived in The Netherlands for 12 years now. I live in Rotterdam, a fairly modern city as most of the old buildings were leveled during WWII and they had to start over. As a US Air Force veteran I am from many places in America. I was born in Virginia and have mostly lived in the Eastern states. I'm married, with a cat. I enjoy listening to lots of different music and being creative. If I'm not listening to music I always have my comfort shows playing in the background, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, The Simpsons, and Futurama. I've been looking for a new community for a long time so I hope I'm welcome here, I wiped my feet. 

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 28, 2023, 03:46 PMWelcome to @MonaSomona !

I saw you sign up at MB earlier, but I think this is the place to be now 🙂

Thanks. I haven't been on a forum since about 2007. It's shocking how new it all is. I'll have to learn to post all over again, so my apologies for being lame for a bit.

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 28, 2023, 04:22 PMThanks. I haven't been on a forum since about 2007. It's shocking how new it all is. I'll have to learn to post all over again, so my apologies for being lame for a bit.

Welcome to SCD!

I also haven't been active on forums since around that time. I used to lurk on MB to get music recommendations though.

Speaking of, what kinds of music are you into?

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#261 Aug 28, 2023, 08:27 PM Last Edit: Aug 28, 2023, 11:25 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 28, 2023, 04:22 PMThanks. I haven't been on a forum since about 2007. It's shocking how new it all is. I'll have to learn to post all over again, so my apologies for being lame for a bit.

No worries 🙂

Why did you move to The Netherlands?

I've only been to Rotterdam once and not long enough to get a really good impression, but it seemed a lot more modern than Amsterdam and perhaps less boring than The Hague.

I miss the french fries with mayonnaise and satay sauce.

Welcome! I hear Air Force gets the best food. :p I have Navy family that were based in Norfolk, and some AF friends currently at Travis. Fun folks, you flyers.

a particle; a fragment of totality

Sup, guys. Hope you all are doing fine. Not sure how active I'll be here but this place surely grew, so props for that!

Quote from: grindy on Aug 29, 2023, 05:26 AMSup, guys. Hope you all are doing fine. Not sure how active I'll be here but this place surely grew, so props for that!

Thanks 🙂

While activity has been waxing and waning a bit, especially dropping a little during summer, it's been active since launch and we're very pleased with that.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 28, 2023, 06:56 PMWelcome to SCD!

I also haven't been active on forums since around that time. I used to lurk on MB to get music recommendations though.

Speaking of, what kinds of music are you into?

I was a child in the 80's so I have a real soft spot for 80's music. Beyond that I listened to a lot of Rock and Alternative in the 90s, spent 20 solid years listening to almost nothing but Electronica. I kind of lost interest a bit when I moved abroad and moved on to Jazz and a little World and whatever else I can get my hands on. Generally I like a bit of everything from the 1920's til now. My latest fascination however is ...Post Malone. My husband hates it.  :laughing:

How about you?

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 28, 2023, 08:27 PMNo worries 🙂

Why did you move to The Netherlands?

I've only been to Rotterdam once and not long enough to get a really good impression, but it seemed a lot more modern than Amsterdam and perhaps less boring than The Hague.

I miss the french fries with mayonnaise and satay sauce.

I met my husband on a music forum in 2004. We were friends until 2009 when we started talking off the board. We met and flew back and forth for a couple years and then I made the big move over in 2011. We got married in 2017.

I like fries with "Special Sauce" It's a glob of mayo with a glob of curry sauce and a generous helping of chopped onions on top. Nom nom nom.

Quote from: degrassi.knoll on Aug 28, 2023, 09:29 PMWelcome! I hear Air Force gets the best food. :p I have Navy family that were based in Norfolk, and some AF friends currently at Travis. Fun folks, you flyers.

Thanks. Yeah the good food is one of the main selling points for recruiters. It depends on which facility you eat at though. Some are better or worse than others.

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 29, 2023, 10:26 AMI was a child in the 80's so I have a real soft spot for 80's music. Beyond that I listened to a lot of Rock and Alternative in the 90s, spent 20 solid years listening to almost nothing but Electronica. I kind of lost interest a bit when I moved abroad and moved on to Jazz and a little World and whatever else I can get my hands on. Generally I like a bit of everything from the 1920's til now. My latest fascination however is ...Post Malone. My husband hates it.  :laughing:

How about you?

Ah, cool! I listen to a huge amount of electronic music as well, mostly in the ambient, space music and new age styles but I like a lot of dance stuff as well. I'm also a big synthesizer nerd so I'll be predisposed to most music that uses synths. I was born in the late 80s and grew up on a lot of late 90s and early 2000s alt rock as well, I was definitely what you'd call an emo kid in high school. But I'm pretty diverse as well, I'll listen to stuff ranging from 1930s swing and big band to brutal death metal and a lot more.

I can't say I'm a big Post Malone fan, haha. My fiance listens to mostly modern rap and whatever's on top 40 radio so I feel like he'd be more inclined to jam his music.

At any rate, you seem super cool and I look forward to chatting more!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 28, 2023, 04:11 PMHi all, I'm a noob.

My name is Hope and I've lived in The Netherlands for 12 years now. I live in Rotterdam, a fairly modern city as most of the old buildings were leveled during WWII and they had to start over. As a US Air Force veteran I am from many places in America. I was born in Virginia and have mostly lived in the Eastern states. I'm married, with a cat. I enjoy listening to lots of different music and being creative. If I'm not listening to music I always have my comfort shows playing in the background, Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, The Simpsons, and Futurama. I've been looking for a new community for a long time so I hope I'm welcome here, I wiped my feet. 
welcome! I did almost the opposite from you: I'm Dutch (from Amsterdam) but moved to the west to an English speaking country, only it's the UK. I've briefly been in Virginia (to say hi to someone from the MB forum actually!) and I liked it a lot.

I don't know what Post Malone sounds like, but am very happy to have you on board @MonaSomona and hope you like it here 🙂

I also have a slightly similar story, although mine took a different turn. I met my previous girlfriend on a gaming forum (for the game Anarchy Online) around 2002 I think and we hooked up in 2003. She was an American living in The Hague and from 2003 to 2005, I'd visit The Hague like every other month or so.

But we eventually broke up, so I'm still here in Norway 🙂

I was like a country bumpkin back then, so visiting Amsterdam and The Hague was pretty cool. And then later New York where she came from.

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 30, 2023, 12:07 AMI don't know what Post Malone sounds like, but am very happy to have you on board @MonaSomona and hope you like it here 🙂

I also have a slightly similar story, although mine took a different turn. I met my previous girlfriend on a gaming forum (for the game Anarchy Online) around 2002 I think and we hooked up in 2003. She was an American living in The Hague and from 2003 to 2005, I'd visit The Hague like every other month or so.

But we eventually broke up, so I'm still here in Norway 🙂

I was like a country bumpkin back then, so visiting Amsterdam and The Hague was pretty cool. And then later New York where she came from.

He's not bad.

But this is better than any of his music imo: