Apr 04, 2023, 12:19 AM Last Edit: Apr 04, 2023, 12:43 AM by jimmy jazz
Well?

I appreciate this thread might see some offensive contributions so if you are likely to be upset by them, please don't engage.

Play nice.

Only God knows.

#1 Apr 04, 2023, 12:39 AM Last Edit: Apr 04, 2023, 12:41 AM by Janszoon
Dogs don't belong in cafes. I'm in there at 8am to buy coffee and wake up, I don't want to deal with your dog lunging at me or getting into a loud barkument with another dog. This shit is like an epidemic around where I live.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Those tired boomer jokes about how marriage is miserable and a "ball and chain" and people who treat that like it's an inevitable fact of life really bug me. I feel like that's not a healthy way to look at relationships, especially the variants of the jokes where one partner roasts the other behind their back. If I found out my partner was insulting me behind my back and joking about how miserable it is to live with me, I would be very hurt.

The fact that "husband hates being married to his wife" is a worn trope that everyone understands is just depressing to me.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Not controversial really, but I'll take any chance to rant about the annoyingly huge amount of people, including people who really should know better, beginning every fucking sentence with "so", when it is not at all warranted. GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Get me off this planet!!!

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Apr 04, 2023, 03:21 AMThose tired boomer jokes about how marriage is miserable and a "ball and chain" and people who treat that like it's an inevitable fact of life really bug me. I feel like that's not a healthy way to look at relationships, especially the variants of the jokes where one partner roasts the other behind their back. If I found out my partner was insulting me behind my back and joking about how miserable it is to live with me, I would be very hurt.

The fact that "husband hates being married to his wife" is a worn trope that everyone understands is just depressing to me.

^Reminds me of this clip

RIP to the king of tired boomer jokes. 

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 04, 2023, 03:23 AMNot controversial really, but I'll take any chance to rant about the annoyingly huge amount of people, including people who really should know better, beginning every fucking sentence with "so", when it is not at all warranted. GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Get me off this planet!!!

And people who always start their sentences with "I mean." I thank Gawd that nobody in my circle of friends or family does it but almost every time I turn on my radio or TV and come across someone being interviewed, there's a better than 50% chance that I'll hear it ad nauseum. 

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Apr 04, 2023, 03:21 AMThose tired boomer jokes about how marriage is miserable and a "ball and chain" and people who treat that like it's an inevitable fact of life really bug me. I feel like that's not a healthy way to look at relationships, especially the variants of the jokes where one partner roasts the other behind their back. If I found out my partner was insulting me behind my back and joking about how miserable it is to live with me, I would be very hurt.

100%. That has always been very grating and also sad to me. I have a feeling that traditional gender norms are largely behind this and I've talked about it before on MB but never been able to articulate it properly. Something about how men and women view each other, and what they look for in a relationship with each other, being dictated by those norms instead of something more profound

Not to mention those (mostly younger) who use "like" as about every fourth word in any sentence, like it's a bridging word or something. I love when Judge Judy tells them "say that again, but this time I do not want to hear you use the word like." They really, really struggle!  :laughing:

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 04, 2023, 03:33 PM

100%. That has always been very grating and also sad to me. I have a feeling that traditional gender norms are largely behind this and I've talked about it before on MB but never been able to articulate it properly. Something about how men and women view each other, and what they look for in a relationship with each other, being dictated by those norms instead of something more profound

That's always bugged me too, though I think definitely predates boomers. It's always seemed so out of step with reality too. Most older people I've know have been in at least somewhat happy marriages.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 04, 2023, 05:42 PM
Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 04, 2023, 03:33 PM

That's always bugged me too, though I think definitely predates boomers. It's always seemed so out of step with reality too. Most older people I've know have been in at least somewhat happy marriages.

Based on the divorce rates these days, the only old married people you'd find must be happy ones.  :laughing:

Joking aside, I'm happily married to the love of my life. I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with her for anything - and I'd agree that the jokes are pretty tired and overused at this point.

I can honestly count the number of happy marriages I've encountered over the years on a single hand. I thought everyone was from a dysfunctional family.

My parents have been married about 36 years.

I'd say it's a happy marriage for the most part. They don't have big arguments.

Only God knows.

#12 Apr 05, 2023, 12:23 AM Last Edit: Apr 05, 2023, 01:03 AM by Lady of Synth
Quote from: SGR on Apr 04, 2023, 11:08 PMJoking aside, I'm happily married to the love of my life. I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with her for anything - and I'd agree that the jokes are pretty tired and overused at this point.

That's so great to hear, so happy for you two! I feel the same about my guy, we're shooting for next spring for the wedding. I am so excited to continue building our dream life together.

And yeah, I never related to those jokes, and these days I feel like if anything I'm the opposite, I always try to show my affection and respect for him, as should be obvious by now given how much I talk about him on here, haha. We always try to speak respectfully about each other to others, and we never bicker in public. I dunno, it just sometimes feels like our kind of attitude toward our relationship isn't as much of a common thing.

I don't mean to speak as if my relationship is perfect or anything, but the trope just feels like people are resigning to some supposed immutable fact that marriage is, or will inevitably become a miserable experience, and that's just a bummer to me.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 05, 2023, 12:22 AMMy parents have been married about 36 years.

I'd say it's a happy marriage for the most part. They don't have big arguments.

my dad is dead and my parents still argue

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Apr 05, 2023, 12:23 AM
Quote from: SGR on Apr 04, 2023, 11:08 PMJoking aside, I'm happily married to the love of my life. I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with her for anything - and I'd agree that the jokes are pretty tired and overused at this point.

That's so great to hear, so happy for you two! I feel the same about my guy, we're shooting for next spring for the wedding. I am so excited to continue building our dream life together.

And yeah, I never related to those jokes, and these days I feel like if anything I'm the opposite, I always try to show my affection and respect for him, as should be obvious by now given how much I talk about him on here, haha. We always try to speak respectfully about each other to others, and we never bicker in public. I dunno, it just sometimes feels like our kind of attitude toward our relationship isn't as much of a common thing.

I don't mean to speak as if my relationship is perfect or anything, but the trope just feels like people are resigning to some supposed immutable fact that marriage is, or will inevitably become a miserable experience, and that's just a bummer to me.
i think it's more just lazy writing from old shows. The bumbling father getting things wrong but here comes mother to set things straight cause she knows best! Gimme a fucking break.