I'm a big fan of Guybrush, Ribbons and Lisna. You all are so lovely, and Ribbons, it is so good to see you! :love:

I'm kind of wracking my brain to think of a specific song I love to include with this post, right now I'm listening to the melodious sound of my oven preheating since my headphones unexpectedly died yesterday and I'm not moving the Bluetooth speakers into the dang kitchen.

So I guess that would mean I'm listening to John Cage's 4:33 on loop, haha.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Well if it isn't the lovely Mrs. Waffles - always good to see you; and coincidentally, I'm a big fan of yours as well!  Thank you so much.

Sorry about your headphones.  While you're waiting for your oven to preheat and wracking your brain for a song - I suggest you just think of Mr. Waffles and a love song will come to mind soon enough.   :love:

Hope you're both doing well!  <3

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 07, 2023, 12:06 AMCouldn't agree more with your thoughts on Lisna, Tore.  Not only is he one of the nicest people I've come across, but he's also one of the most interesting and intelligent.  And yes, he's balm-y in the best possible way.  :love:  :D

Balm-y :laughing: Thank you so much, ribbons. I feel the same way about you: one of the kindest, sensitive, and discerning posters here or on MB. :love:

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 07, 2023, 12:44 AMI'm a big fan of Guybrush, Ribbons and Lisna. You all are so lovely, and Ribbons, it is so good to see you! :love:

Thanks, Mrs. Waffles ! As you can see, we are having a total love-fest here, so please join us: it's like the 1967 Summer of Love all over again ! 

QuoteSo I guess that would mean I'm listening to John Cage's 4:33 on loop, haha.

^ :laughing: ...or perhaps you have found a very rare extended version ! Hang on to it because it should be worth a lot of money. ;)

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 07, 2023, 01:59 AMWell if it isn't the lovely Mrs. Waffles - always good to see you; and coincidentally, I'm a big fan of yours as well!  Thank you so much.

Sorry about your headphones.  While you're waiting for your oven to preheat and wracking your brain for a song - I suggest you just think of Mr. Waffles and a love song will come to mind soon enough.   :love:

Hope you're both doing well!  <3

Oh gosh, thank you! We're doing quite well, I hope you are as well!  :love:

After reading your post, I thought of a song that was pretty fitting to the situation earlier today, not exactly a straight up love song but in addition to being relevant it is a song both Mr. Waffles and I love dearly. Thank you for the inspiration!

#49 Sep 12, 2023, 04:01 PM Last Edit: Sep 12, 2023, 04:05 PM by ribbons
^ I can understand why you & Mr. Waffles love that song, Mrs. Waffles!  It's stuck in my head now - ahhh, the potent sound of a proper analog synth!   Also ideal housecleaning/vacuuming music.  :D  :love:

All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is heeeeerrre in my arms.  <3

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 12, 2023, 04:01 PM^ I can understand why you & Mr. Waffles love that song, Mrs. Waffles!  It's stuck in my head now - ahhh, the potent sound of a proper analog synth!  Also ideal housecleaning/vacuuming music.  :D  :love:

It's a classic for sure! I do love that dense synthesizer arrangement and the moodiness of the song. In the mister's case, he used to be involved in his local goth club scene and got into a lot of dark electronic and industrial music through that. One of the things we can definitely connect on musically even though he doesn't really actively listen to much music anymore.

I've got another hour and a half of bathroom deep cleaning before I have to do my makeup and head to work, and your post has definitely got me itching to listen to some Depeche Mode today. Thank you for the inspiration! <3

^ The track is unique in that it has that moody, dark tone but also sounds happy and danceable at the same time.  That's what's so great about it, imho!

Enjoy the rest of your day, dear Mrs. Waffles - and thank YOU for reintroducing me to "Enjoy The Silence"!  <3

Here's another song I love. I'm actually a sucker for sentimental ballads so of course I'm gonna like Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For? by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

The song has gotten a little more special over the last few years because I put it in a playlist of songs me and my daughter sometimes listen to after bedtime reading. After I've read a book, we'll just turn the lights off and we'll listen to a couple of songs or maybe three together before I give her a kiss goodnight and leave. Sometimes I too I fall asleep.

Anyways, this is one of our favorites from that playlist.

Happiness is a warm manatee

^ That's a really nice detail about how you've been introducing music to your daughter, Guybrush! She is lucky to have such a thoughtful father, and I hope she will remember those moments all her life.

With my son, all he got when he was small was listening to me singing terribly my v limited repertoire of English folk songs: I wanted him to have some  English in his soul although he was growing up in Mexico.

When he was 11, I made a cd that we could play in the car on the way to school, and this Stranglers song was a favourite:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

#54 Sep 15, 2023, 09:56 AM Last Edit: Sep 15, 2023, 10:01 AM by ribbons
Guybrush and Lisna, very touching to read your posts about sharing these songs with your children.   :love:

When my daughter and son were infants/toddlers, I had a ritual of singing The Beatles' "Golden Slumbers" over and again until they fell asleep. 

My son and I share a deep love of poetry, and we agree that this Robbie Basho song is reminiscent of the E. E. Cummings poem "[All in green went my love riding]".  My son also does a good impersonation of Basho's otherworldly vibrato and he sings this over the phone to me sometimes.   ;)  But I do seriously love this song, and it's very much a bonding song for us.

I did not expect Lisna to put Peaches on a playlist, that makes me laugh <3
Music that your parents share with you can have such a deep impact, that's why I love the Beatles and J.S. Bach so much. The Golden Slumbers lullaby ritual sounds lovely; my mom used to sing me British and French folk songs for lullabies and I still have a hard time listening to Steeleye Span or any kind of pastoral melody without getting emotional

Ah, the Golden Slumbers lullaby is so sweet. I don't remember my parents ever singing to me, though my mom was and remains totally incapable of carrying a tune, including humming and whistling, so that makes sense.

But she would play music around the house as well (she was a stay at home mom so she was very present in my upbringing), and two of the most nostalgic songs she used to play a lot in the early-mid 90s were "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman and "Stars" by Simply Red, both of which still trigger deep nostalgic responses for me. It's kind of bizarre for me to think that those songs were pretty contemporary at the time of my early childhood; I didn't become aware of that fact until later in life and I think for some reason I just assumed they were older songs than 1988 and 1991 respectively.

I love a number of songs but this is probably the most recent of them all. Its the most interesting metal I've heard in a long time and the music video is superb.

Pew pew pew. :laughing:

Car Bomb - Dissect Yourself

I love Electric Youth because its great to know that if someone asks for a song that distills everything down into one song that represents the 80's, then there is a go to resource. :laughing:

Debbie Gibson - Electric Youth

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 07, 2023, 05:38 AMOh gosh, thank you! We're doing quite well, I hope you are as well!  :love:

After reading your post, I thought of a song that was pretty fitting to the situation earlier today, not exactly a straight up love song but in addition to being relevant it is a song both Mr. Waffles and I love dearly. Thank you for the inspiration!

Absolutely immaculate track.

For some reason, it always makes my wife cry, so she forbids me from playing it in her ear-distance.  :laughing: