Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 22, 2023, 04:42 PMpeople with power abuse it - always, never seen it go any other way - not at work - not out and about - not on forums

Not necessarily. What about the ultimate authority figures? In other words, your parents (and keep it generic, I'm really not trying to pry)? Would you say they abused their authority?

The Word has spoken :D

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Jan 22, 2023, 04:52 PM
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Jan 22, 2023, 04:42 PMpeople with power abuse it - always, never seen it go any other way - not at work - not out and about - not on forums

Not necessarily. What about the ultimate authority figures? In other words, your parents (and keep it generic, I'm really not trying to pry)? Would you say they abused their authority?

i can't answer about my parents and be generic at the same time - i've mentioned it on mb that i was abused

in general adults abuse their power over children

a good read about it is: Escape from Childhood: The Needs and Rights of Children by John Holt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Childhood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Holt_(educator)

QuoteDo we really want to live in a world where it's eat or be eaten?

it's like that no matter what - those obsessed with power and being on top of the food chain become mods or at least try

I'm sorry, OH. I know parents aren't perfect being a child of divorce myself. But I know a lot of people who have or had parents who usually made their decisions out of love. It was just the best example I could come up with.

Anyway, not all authority figures are bad people. For every Derek Chauvin out there, there is also the cop that helps the stranded motorist. Basically, there are good and bad in everything. If Guybrush is true to his word, and I believe he is, you'll see more of the good here.

Quotethere is also the cop that helps the stranded motorist

seriously? cops are ALWAYS looking for violations- if my car breaks down the LAST person i ever want to see is a cop

i have triple a - if i'm stranded get me a tow don't call the fuzz!!!

i will never call the cops - that's why i keep a revolver- cops are psychopaths- most of them only become cops because they're also cowards / proof in pudding: uvalde

#20 Jan 22, 2023, 06:08 PM Last Edit: Jan 22, 2023, 06:10 PM by Guybrush
Had I been more familiar with the standard way SMF handles moderators, I might have worded my first post a little differently.

The word moderator has some connotations to usually mean someone who can ban others from using a forum. That's really an elevated moderator position here (the global moderator) and not part of the job for a "normal" moderator. Turns out we're looking for "normal" moderators now and not the banning kind.

We might also need a global mod ("police") at some point, but I think that's a discussion for another time.

I've made a small suggestion to Trollheart that I think will at least help clear up communication on the subject. Me and TH will discuss a bit and report back.

Happiness is a warm manatee

#21 Jan 22, 2023, 06:09 PM Last Edit: Jan 22, 2023, 06:32 PM by Rubber Soul
I was stopped for running a red light once. I mean I was blatant. But I was also under a lot of stress (my brother had been diagnosed with lymphoma- made a full recovery). The cop understood and let me go on my way. That's how I know they're not all bad people (admittedly too many of them are though)

I would say, with the greatest respect to them both, it's only two people here who seem to have a problem with the idea of mods. If we want to think of ourselves as new, egalatarian and free-thinking, why not put it to the vote? Make a poll: do you want mods (or whatever we're going to call them) or not? Then we can go with majority view, rather than be seen to be forcing upon the forum something they don't want.

Or we could just shoot Hawk and Comus, I'm just sayin'. This is how revolutions get started, and there are far too many lampposts around here for my liking...
:shycouch:

You don't need a vote, Trolls. Every forum has mods, like I said, they're an evil necessity. The only question is do you want your mods to be authoritarian types or should they try and take a more relaxed approach? Besides, you and Guy can't do everything, or at least you won't be able to when the spambots do find us.

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Jan 22, 2023, 06:09 PMI was stopped for running a red light once. I mean I was blatant. But I was also under a lot of stress (my brother had been diagnosed with lymphoma- made a full recovery). The cop understood and let me go on my way. That's how I know they're not all bad people (admittedly too many of them are though)

The officer probably got so excited about your brother's misfortune that he had to get back into his squad car to beat off.

That's a pretty nasty thing to say. Why would you think a cop would be sexually excited about the diagonsis of some random guy he doesn't even know? Even if that's a joke, it's a pretty poor one. Just because you hate cops doesn't give you the right to ascribe motives to people you don't know, and to imply that there aren't any good ones among the - admittedly many, it seems - bad ones. Is everything black and white for you? Do your own experiences colour your attitude so much that you can't allow for the possibility of anything else? It's a bit of a juvenile, to say nothing of completely biased outlook.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jan 22, 2023, 08:00 PMThat's a pretty nasty thing to say. Why would you think a cop would be sexually excited about the diagonsis of some random guy he doesn't even know? Even if that's a joke, it's a pretty poor one. Just because you hate cops doesn't give you the right to ascribe motives to people you don't know, and to imply that there aren't any good ones among the - admittedly many, it seems - bad ones. Is everything black and white for you? Do your own experiences colour your attitude so much that you can't allow for the possibility of anything else? It's a bit of a juvenile, to say nothing of completely biased outlook.

well i wouldn't have made the joke if he hadn't been clear his brother beat the frightening diagnosis and as for cops i mean come on you live in ireland and i live in a ghetto in florida- the cops around here are psychopaths- i mean they weed out decent people who try to be good public servants- if they're not into the abuse and corruption game they leave them without backup on dangerous calls and bully them in the workplace forcing decent people from the profession- they're just another organized crime syndicate that terrorize the community

Yeah but RS doesn't live in Florida. I mean, sure, you could say "all the cops around here" or "all the cops in Florida" or whatever, but you made it clear that you meant all cops, everywhere. Or at least, you didn't make it clear that that was not what you meant, if it wasn't.

Also, regardless of the outcome of the operation, cancer is nothing to make jokes about. I don't think the fact that his brother beat it makes it a viable target for a smutty joke, which isn't even funny. I can't see the justification. I'm not going to be going on about it, I just think you might be better to think about how a supposedly funny casual comment can affect someone else. Maybe he doesn't care. Maybe he took it as a joke. Maybe I should shut up. All will be revealed in the next thrilling episode...