What should we call the unmoderated forum?

First Amendment Forum
0 (0%)
The Colosseum
1 (7.7%)
Thunderdome
2 (15.4%)
The Dog Pound
1 (7.7%)
The Nine Circles of Hell
2 (15.4%)
Tartarus
0 (0%)
Ass Pirates
0 (0%)
The Fight Club
1 (7.7%)
Event Horizon
3 (23.1%)
The Black Hole
2 (15.4%)
The Troll Cave
1 (7.7%)
Dante's Bar
0 (0%)
The Octagon
2 (15.4%)
The Unmoderated Free-Speech Forum
1 (7.7%)
The Shitbox
2 (15.4%)
Edgelord Playpen
2 (15.4%)
Unmoderated
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Oct 06, 2023, 12:17 AM Last Edit: Oct 06, 2023, 06:37 AM by Guybrush
[DISCLAIMER: This topic was created by a curator or admin who split it from its parent topic]

Quote from: grindy on Oct 05, 2023, 07:07 PMI don't have the impression that controversial topics are an issue around here, just being a dick about them.

It's not just about the topics for me, it's moreso the freedom to discuss them, or anything, free of niceties and such. I dream of a subforum wherein I have the ability to roast someone for their bad take, or make fun of the fact they pull the same face in every MySpace-angle selfie they post, or call jwb a fag when he calls me a fake dyke, etc. without concern for being read as a bully or ensuring the thread is kept on topic and without the need to produce or contribute anything more than a zesty one liner if that's all I've got in me. Anything goes as long as it's funny. That's the tone MB had that SCD lacks. And I'm not arguing that SCD change, but the impression I had of SCD offering a space for that kind of banter was a big selling point.

I do agree with you, Steph, but like I say, it was suggested, tried and seemed not to be popular. I would venture to offer that if other people agreed with the need for it now it could possibly be trialled again. The idea of the - for want of another name, and I think this was what we called it - First Amendment sub-forum was exactly that: a place where you could kind of take off the training wheels, kid gloves or gaffa tape across your mouth, whatever was restricting you from really letting fly, and, well, really let fly, without being penalised.

The point was, that anyone going into that sub-forum implicitly understood that any posts made there or behaviour acted out there was limited to that sub-forum, and while it would be tolerated - perhaps even tacitly encouraged? - there, outside of the FA it would not be allowed. What happened in the FA remained in the FA, so to speak. So I suppose you could, if you want, call it a release valve of sorts. It may or may not have worked, but it was to have been the only place you could go if you wanted to, say, have a knock-down row with someone, tell them what you really thought about them, argue on behalf of Hitler or what have you, knowing that such comments would not reflect on your membership outside of the sub-forum.

I don't know how Tore feels about it, but if it's seen as a popular idea again I'd be happy to give it another try.

As for "quality content", Marie, yeah I have to agree with the music-playing lizard: you're comparing decades of content to what, less than a year? It's hardly fair. MB built up its quite amazingly diverse store of threads, journals, drama and relationships over a long period and with a lot of different people. For the baby hardly able to walk as compared to the grandparent now sitting in their rocking chair and looking for someone to bring them a cup of milky tea before bedtime, I think we've done quite well. Imagine what we'll be like in 2033! I know I'm only back, for reasons well beyond my own control, but I think everyone is doing their best to make this the best forum it can be.

#2 Oct 06, 2023, 01:44 AM Last Edit: Oct 06, 2023, 02:17 AM by Lexi Darling
I think maybe that is a good idea honestly. The original attempt was like an opt-in kinda thing, right? I think that would be nice; people could sling all the awful crap they wanted and I would never feel tempted to engage if the subforum was inaccessible.

Maybe if things get a bit heated between two members who have opted in, they could invoke some kind of agreement that they will take it to the first amendment forum. Just an idea.

I'm not sure there is a perfect solution to this whole thing, but I think it's worth a shot!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I think we can try again if people want as that's part of the beauty of this place. We can just do stuff. This idea obviously hasn't died yet, so maybe it needs another go.

But imo, we should just call it Unmoderated then as it effectively communicates (nearly) all you need to know. 🤔

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: degrassi.knoll on Oct 06, 2023, 12:17 AMAnything goes as long as it's funny.

I love your whole post but especially this part. I have really bad depression and anxiety and comedy has and always will be the one thing I turn to when I need to sort of...feel better? In a way, y'all know what I mean. I honestly think that people that can joke with each other and take shit from each other tend to be closer as far as friendship goes compared to the contrary. My best friend and I insult each other daily and it just strengthens our friendship.

I say anything goes as long as people speak up if they really get offended. Otherwise it's just petty and we don't want that. This is an internet forum, it's not like we're showing up in people's feeds about "omg did you see what this person said??" It's just as individuals having a good time.

Quote from: Key on Oct 06, 2023, 04:50 PMI honestly think that people that can joke with each other and take shit from each other tend to be closer as far as friendship goes compared to the contrary. My best friend and I insult each other daily and it just strengthens our friendship.

I'd say this kind of activity is already okay here, even if it may be hard to correctly identify for outsiders.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Sometimes I can't tell if people are joking or being hostile with me. And also if they're addressing me specifically or talking generally.

As long as people know when to stop then go for it.

Only God knows.

I think the important point is that everyone has to know, before they enter the Thunderdome, sorry Unmoderated forum (meh, mine has more of a ring to it) that they are opening themselves up to the kind of behaviour which would not generally be allowed or accepted outside in the main forum. You need to know what you're letting yourself in for and recognise that. At the same time, it can't be a total free-for-all where people get insulted or bullied for no reason. How do you draw the line? Well, a good starting point is to buy a pencil and some paper. But seriously: I don't think there is anyone here who genuinely hates or wants to hurt anyone (except that guy) so I imagine a healthy, no-holds-barred exorcising of demons (and demons need to be exercised too, kids: you can't just leave them throwing fireballs at the curtains) would be, as I said before, a handy safety valve.

I think it would be fair to say that insults (as such) based on someone's behaviour would be okay, but baseless stuff would not. For instance, if everyone knows I'm a skinny git then I can be called a walking skeleton or whatever, but nobody should be able to say I sit on chimneys with a BB gun and take potshots at seagulls, as there's no evidence to support this. Yet. Stupid example, but you know what I mean. No? Quite honestly, neither do I. Who are you people? Where am I?

Good luck with this but I don't really like it. I'm staying far away from it. It feels like a slippery slope that's going to end up causing an issue later on but we shall see.

I was this cool the whole time.

#10 Oct 06, 2023, 06:46 PM Last Edit: Oct 06, 2023, 06:53 PM by Lexi Darling
My main concern is just people having respect for others' personal lines. If someone politely says that another's posts caused them pain or trauma, and the other person responds by doubling down or mocking them, then that is in my mind the line between harmless jabs/roasts and straight up bullying.

The more I think about it the more I think the subforum is mostly unnecessary to be honest. I think if we can be responsible about it there's nothing wrong with allowing a bit of sh*t slinging on the normal forums. I think at the end of the day the general SCD user base is just made up of less edgy people than MB.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Why do I get the feeling it's going to be just Steph and JWB in there shouting at each other? Look I'm easy either way (ask anyone!) - if two or more people want the sub forum and Tore's okay with it, we can do it. If it's not deemed necessary that's fine too. I don't see its absence being a problem at the moment, but then I haven't been here for a long time so what do I know? Answers on the back of a fifty Euro note to...

Quote from: Trollheart on Oct 06, 2023, 06:56 PMWhy do I get the feeling it's going to be just Steph and JWB in there shouting at each other? Look I'm easy either way (ask anyone!) - if two or more people want the sub forum and Tore's okay with it, we can do it. If it's not deemed necessary that's fine too. I don't see its absence being a problem at the moment, but then I haven't been here for a long time so what do I know? Answers on the back of a fifty Euro note to...

:laughing:  That's basically what it's going to be with an occasional person or two that pops in from time to time but other than that. it's just those two.

I was this cool the whole time.

If there is a vote and I'm absent, I'm for the idea. I don't see the harm. Anything that is said in there will be left out of the rest of the board which would be a positive for everyone. If you don't want to partake in the unmonitored forum, just don't.

I'm game faggots and queers only tho

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!