Maybe you guys know about Aum Shinrikyo, the cult behind the Tokyo Subway sarin gas attack.

If not, here's a relatively short vice doc summary:

As far as cults go, they were relatively vicious, murdering several people and plotting many attacks.

But they also produced manga and animes:

Happiness is a warm manatee

Have you seen Daughters of the Cult?

It is on Hulu and it's based off of Mormons.

The leader was dubbed Mormon Mason. I'm gonna watch it tonight.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Guybrush on Dec 23, 2023, 09:21 AMMaybe you guys know about Aum Shinrikyo, the cult behind the Tokyo Subway sarin gas attack.

If not, here's a relatively short vice doc summary:

As far as cults go, they were relatively vicious, murdering several people and plotting many attacks.

But they also produced manga and animes:

Nope! Don't think I've seen any Mormon docs, but I know a little bit about the con artist Joseph Smith and the formation of the church from listening to podcasts.

Sounds like something I might like 🙂 let me know what you think!

Cults seem to be pretty common in the USA.

I don't know anyone who has been in one over here, don't even think I could name a news story of one, but just from MB I think there are several of you who have experience with them?

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Dec 27, 2023, 05:36 PMCults seem to be pretty common in the USA.

I don't know anyone who has been in one over here, don't even think I could name a news story of one, but just from MB I think there are several of you who have experience with them?

I'm curious about this and will look into it. I think most European cults happened in the past while more of the US ones are more recent in history so that's why it seems like cults only start up in the states but believe me. Cults are a world wide phenomenon.

Edit:
The most modern one in EU were from France and Switzerland.

QuoteThe Order of the Solar Temple was an esoteric cult that merged Gnosticism, alien beliefs, the occult, and other out-of-mainstream elements to create a creed that centered on establishing a correct order of authority and power. The members believed that they were heralding the second coming of Jesus Christ as well as creating a unified belief system for both Christianity and Islam. The Order of the Solar Temple was primarily regarded as a secret society, mainly based in Switzerland and France, and few people outside of its cloisters had access to information about its goings-on.

In October 1994, one of the cult's leaders, Joseph Di Mambro ordered the murder of a three-month-old boy because he believed that the infant was the antichrist, born into the group to keep Di Mambro from becoming the leader. He then held a ritual Last Supper, just a few days before different groups of The Order of the Solar Temple began committing mass suicide. Some groups committed suicide in chapels that were adorned with symbology of the Knights Templar, suggesting that the mass suicides were rituals ordered as part of the cult's religious beliefs. In some cases, the buildings where they committed suicide were set to detonate so that the souls of the deceased would be purified with fire. The mass suicides continued for three years.

Source

I was this cool the whole time.

^Hey, I heard a podcast about those guys some years ago. Kinda dull, but very devoted peeps and they had some well standing and rich members as well from what I can recall.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Dec 27, 2023, 06:53 PMI'm curious about this and will look into it. I think most European cults happened in the past while more of the US ones are more recent in history so that's why it seems like cults only start up in the states but believe me. Cults are a world wide phenomenon.

Edit:
The most modern one in EU were from France and Switzerland.

Source

Went back and relistened to Last Podcast on the Left's 3 episode coverage if this. It's not one of their best, but still amusing.

By their description, it does sound like LARP for the wealthy/mostly upper middle class. They had robes, pretended to be Knights Templars, were deep into Christian esotericism and did a lot of rituals.

At some of these rituals, they had a special FX guy with lasers and setting up various things. They also had props, like the holy grail and the sword Excalibur. Before seeing these things, members would get high on shrooms or LSD and it would basically seem like magic or like the props materialized out of thin air.

Towards the end of it, one of the guy's sons found his father's prop closet and the rubber Excalibur and thought fuck this shit and left with a bunch of high ranking members. Other things had also made people leave, like the two leaders focusing more on banging the women in the cult and being controlling in a pretty bad way.

Also, they were getting old and at least one (if not both) was dying of cancer. So it wasn't just the antichrist being born that caused the massacres, it seems.

The antichrist was born of parents who were defectors from the cult, the father being the special FX guy I believe. They weren't allowed to have a child when they were in the cult, but wanted to after they'd left. Also no-one was allowed to name their child Emmanuel (I think it was) as that was the name of the reborn Christ child of one of the leaders, so when these defectors used this name for their baby, it was declared antichrist by the cult and they killed that whole family and then started killing themselves.

Quite a few of them seemed to need to be helped along, either tranquilized before being shot in the head or forced to with trash bags wrapped around their heads (a sign they were traitors).

So pretty bonkers overall. Quite a bit of nerd rage / LARP energy to this.

#22 Jan 09, 2024, 12:24 AM Last Edit: Jan 09, 2024, 12:27 AM by Guybrush
Finished The Vow season 2 a while ago. While it might be a little slow for most people, I loved it. It's about the NXIVM cult and its past leader, Keith Raniere, who is now serving some very serious jail time.

Raniere's cult was supposedly about self-improvement, but to Keith it was also about controlling people and getting to have sex with a lot of women. Also children as his youngest victim was 15.

Cultists were taught that anything that happened to them was their own fault, there are no victims, and other mental gymnastics that hopefully would make people morally confused so they'd think Keith was infallible even though he seems a predator, psychopath and massive douche.

Keith of course had multiple girlfriends at a time while demanding those girls to stay faithful to him. He controlled many if not all of them with promises that he'd make them pregnant (!) and he was very controlling in terms of how much they ate. He liked the anorexic look.

The most famous detail about NXIVM is DOS, the cult within the cult. It was a pyramid scheme of masters and slaves where women would get offered to join with no real explanation of what it was, but they'd have to provide collateral to join. They had to take nude photos and send in or make videos where they talked shit about their family or write a long letter where they admit to being prostitutes or whatever. Just something their masters could hold over then to keep their loyal. Some had to provide more collateral every week. Then they'd get treated like slaves, groomed for sex with Keith and put through a branding ceremony where they got hot iron branded with Keith's initials.

One of my favourite details was he organised a big gangbang with all the slaves and he called it a re-commitment ceremony 😄 But I think maybe he was arrested just before the big day? A little unsure.

Anyways, he definitely deserves a jail cell. That he still has supporters in this world baffles me.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jan 10, 2024, 11:19 PMAuthorities Search for 6 People Reported Missing After Cops Say They Followed So-Called Cult Leader

And there's a website...

The University of Cosmic Intelligence

Nice find!

Whoops:

Quote from: News articleIn August, White was convicted in a Georgia court for child molestation and cruelty to children. He was later sentenced to 18 years in prison, which he is currently serving in Georgia.

Seems bad. Wonder why they have this pic on their cult website:

https://www.theuci.online/videos-2?pgid=kkt8klh72-5dfa236e-99e2-4e9f-9fb8-eff8e66e7063

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Jan 12, 2024, 05:29 AM

Is that the 'QAnon Shaman' with Trump, and Charles Manson with Biden?

I saw these two images shared by two completely politically different nutjobs on Insta so I shared them together here lol. One was an Occupy Democrats guy and the other was a Christian nationalist  I can't tell if that figure is supposed to be Jesus, Kenny Loggins, Charles Manson or a combination of the three.  I'm assuming #1 though.

Looks kinda Mansony to me.

Also, Manson's little cult is definitely on topic, so that's a bonus point right there.

Saw this doc, the way down about Gwen Shamblin and her Remnants church/cult.

This started as a Christian weight loss program because while there's all sorts of things in the world that needs fixing, God's attention is on helping overweight southern Americans help lose weight.

The doc is decent - that talk hair is always a hoot - but they're not as violent or molesty or suicidal as most other cults. Still very controlling and working hard to isolate its members and their children from the outside world. Also, child abuse by way of physical and mental abuse seems widespread in this cult.

I now know that if I wanna beat my kids, I can use glue sticks. But oh well, that would be illegal here.

It's also funny how these cult people often seem kinda stupid, yet cunning. It's like they have a criminal mindset. I guess it's the psychopathy 🤔

Prayse jaysus