Eeeyo!!

So I've been on a minor cult binge very recently, first watching the Love Has Won doc (on HBO) about the cult around Mother God, then the Twin Flames doc (Netflix) and now watching The Vow about NXIVM (HBO).

Besides this spur of doc watching, I think cults are interesting and know at least a little about notable ones like Scientology, People's Temple, Heaven's Gate, Children of God, Aum Shinrikyo and the Branch Davidians.

I thought it might be an interesting topic, so I invite you to share or discuss anything you think is interesting on this topic.

I also wonder, have any of you guys run into any cultists or perhaps even been one at some point?

Happiness is a warm manatee

A bizarre cult relic is the molesty Children of God comic centered around the life of Davidito (real name Ricky Rodriguez).

This Christian cult, now called The Family, invented Flirty Fishing (honey trapping men with pretty girls) and had some very liberal views on sex, so liberal as to lead into paedophilia.

So this cartoon aimed at teaching child rearing and focusing on this child Davidito describes some of the sort of stuff that was going on.

You can see more here if you want: https://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Story_of_Davidito

As this page says, Davidito (the boy from the comic) and victim of sexual abuse "ultimately murdered one of his former nannies mentioned here and subsequently took his own life in 2005."

I attended a 'Blue Öyster Cult' concert in the 70's.

But seriously, I've never been able to understand how some people can be so gullible and foolish as to fall for that type of nonsense. Probably better that I don't understand it, otherwise I might be drinking the Kool-Aid in some crazy cult somewhere.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Dec 19, 2023, 06:58 PMI attended a 'Blue Öyster Cult' concert in the 70's.

But seriously, I've never been able to understand how some people can be so gullible and foolish as to fall for that type of nonsense. Probably better that I don't understand it, otherwise I might be drinking the Kool-Aid in some crazy cult somewhere.

It's the same way that people fall for gang culture. I'm sure there is some psychological reasoning behind it where they turn to the cults to fill the void of loneliness or not having a purpose. Or from the lack of love that their parents didn't show them. There are a plethora of different reasons.

I was this cool the whole time.

Most people know about Jim Jones, the people's temple and the mass suicide at Jonestown. It's a fascinating story.

Here are some of the pictures of Jonestown and its more than 900 dead.

Pictures from Jonestown and a lotta dead cultists

[close]

You probably know this too, but it wasn't actually cool aid, but poisoned flavor-aid.

Don't drink the kool aid!

Quote from: DJChameleon on Dec 19, 2023, 08:51 PMIt's the same way that people fall for gang culture. I'm sure there is some psychological reasoning behind it where they turn to the cults to fill the void of loneliness or not having a purpose. Or from the lack of love that their parents didn't show them. There are a plethora of different reasons.

There is a difference though, how many adults do you see joining gangs? Vulnerable kids will do it because they don't know any better. Plenty of people join cults as adults though. And it's not just that, it's the beliefs. This guy convinced hundreds of people to knowingly drink poison that would kill them.

I see what Psy-Fi is saying. That was my first thought too but there is probably some other shit I'm not considering.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Dec 21, 2023, 01:28 AMThere is a difference though, how many adults do you see joining gangs? Vulnerable kids will do it because they don't know any better. Plenty of people join cults as adults though. And it's not just that, it's the beliefs. This guy convinced hundreds of people to knowingly drink poison that would kill them.

Well the guy that forced people to knowingly drink poison. Gave them a choice, either they drink the poison or be shot in the head.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Dec 21, 2023, 08:01 AMWell the guy that forced people to knowingly drink poison. Gave them a choice, either they drink the poison or be shot in the head.

Some coercion and other tactics I'm sure as not everyone wanted to, but I think most by far willingly participated.

This is why the crime scene is so bizarre. It's just littered with dead people; not rounded up or locked in, not covered gunshot wounds, just laid down and died where they were.

There was a Casefile episode about Jim Jones and I listened to it but it was a long time ago. Forgot the shooting threat. I need to listen to it again tbh.

Point still stands though regarding some of the shit they believe. A gang doesn't try to fill your head with crazy beliefs that you know are nonsense, but the cults do. And adults believe it. I know there's more to it and a lot of psychological stuff but that's a big difference.

Only God knows.

#10 Dec 21, 2023, 12:54 PM Last Edit: Dec 21, 2023, 01:11 PM by Guybrush
I think you're talking about two different things. There's the matter of how the cult gets a hold of you and then there's the matter of turning you into a brainwashed cultist.

I think cults usually don't grab you with the weird stuff. Since I've just seen three cult docs, I'd say the Twin Flames cult lure in people who are young, lonely, vulnerable with the promise of finding them a romantic partner. NXIVM on the other hand was much more of the self-help variety, like to help you be the best version of yourself. I'm not sure exactly what the perfect victim is, but at least it's people who are open and much too trusting. Actually, I think a common thread is that they're usually very good people, like genuinely unselfish.

After a lot of mental conditioning, probably years and years, you may be ready and susceptible for the message that you're actually a woman trapped in a man's body and your leader is kinda Jesus or can be convinced that being a slave and subjecting yourself to hot iron branding with Keith Rainere's initials is somehow empowering for you. Maybe you can get smarter if you bang the guru.

edit:

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Dec 21, 2023, 11:41 AMThere was a Casefile episode about Jim Jones and I listened to it but it was a long time ago. Forgot the shooting threat. I need to listen to it again tbh.

Point still stands though regarding some of the shit they believe. A gang doesn't try to fill your head with crazy beliefs that you know are nonsense, but the cults do. And adults believe it. I know there's more to it and a lot of psychological stuff but that's a big difference.

I remember they had lots of guns because Jim Jones kinda manufactured an outside threat to keep people motivated and unified and they were prepared for this attack Jones had said was coming.. and which was probably a little more real after they killed visiting politician Leo Ryan and his entourage. I remember they had armed guards and a security force. But I don't really remember them having to use the guns to force people into drinking poison, though it may well have happened in some cases.

They did mass suicide drills before that fated day in 1978.

Quote from: Deborah Layton cited on WikipediaEveryone, including the children, was told to line up. As we passed through the line, we were given a small glass of red liquid to drink. We were told that the liquid contained poison and that we would die within 45 minutes. We all did as we were told. When the time came when we should have dropped dead, Rev. Jones explained that the poison was not real and that we had just been through a loyalty test. He warned us that the time was not far off when it would become necessary for us to die by our own hands.

She says they all did as they were told during the drills.. which apparently they didn't even know were drills.

When I think of cults only one face comes to mind.

Quote from: Nimbly9 on Dec 21, 2023, 03:36 PMWhen I think of cults only one face comes to mind.

Swifties are indeed cultish

Along with the Beyhive and the Barbies(Nicki Minaj's fans)

I feel like fan culture has always veered towards crazy though this isn't something new with those three performers.

Yeah. Though I think rabid fan communities definitely used to be a less mainstream thing. Juggalos, scene kids, k-poppers, their music and culture was always just a bit to the side of the ultra super mainstream, whereas swifties are congregating around one of the most popular, overexposed and widely appealing artists out there. So maybe they just seem more prevalent because of that.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#14 Dec 21, 2023, 08:38 PM Last Edit: Dec 21, 2023, 08:42 PM by SGR
Quote from: DJChameleon on Dec 21, 2023, 07:15 PMSwifties are indeed cultish

Along with the Beyhive and the Barbies(Nicki Minaj's fans)

I feel like fan culture has always veered towards crazy though this isn't something new with those three performers.

Funny story, I went to last weekend's Chiefs @ Patriots game. Taylor Swift showed up and was on the jumbotron for maybe 10 seconds. After the game, I'm leaving the stadium, going down a stairwell - and this stairwell connects to the Luxry Boxes, and this woman nearby was yelling out "TAYLOR!?.......TAYLOR!?" as she peered through the small windows on the locked door to the luxury boxes. I thought it was a joke at first but quickly realized it wasn't.

For anyone that didn't see the recent MeatCanyon video: