Yo and a hip to the hop, Guest.

Gratitude is a wonderful thing. It makes us happier, improves relationships, promotes mental health and resilience, tends to make us kinder and more positive AND has a positive effect on our quality of life.

Let's celebrate gratitude together! An easy way to do so is by answering this simple question:

What's something you're grateful for?

Happiness is a warm manatee

I read/watch quite a few stories about real-life hardship: people who climb mountains, canoe down the Amazon or live in repressive cults, etc.
This has the benefit that I remain grateful for the fundamentals of life, which I'm lucky enough to enjoy most days: decent health, sunny weather, and a job I like. At night, I can sleep without worrying about the intrusion of rain, insects or worse, so I sleep easy, for which I am especially grateful, as I suffered with mild insomnia probs in the past. 

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Maybe some will see it as a cop-out answer, but I will just say I am thankful that I am alive, pure and simple.

As I thought about how to answer this thread, I got to thinking about a particularly dark time in my life; I am fine talking about it, but I have spoilered it for sensitive content and potentially upsetting topics. If this is not okay to post, I will be fine with it being removed.

Spoiler
I attempted suicide on December 18th, 2010. Since my junior year of high school I had grappled with depression, hopeless thoughts, and mental blocks, and by 2008 when I entered college I had begun to self harm. I was living in an unfamiliar, stifling college dorm, away from my childhood home for the first time ever. My depression hit its worst point in 2010. I stopped doing my homework, I stopped socializing, and I kind of shut down. I will not go into detail, but in the early morning of December 19th, I woke up, and in the hours that followed I think I realized just how incredibly special it is to be a living person on this planet. I became so much more at peace with the great mystery that is life, and I gained the understanding that staying here was always going to be preferable to throwing it all away and giving up any chance for things to get better.

During my recovery I clung close to the lights in my life; my family, my passions, my dreams. There is always something worth living for, even if it seems far away. I've grown into a strong and proud 34 year old woman, I'm happier than I've ever been. At age 21 in 2010, I couldn't imagine myself being as happy as I am now. Things can always turn around, sometimes in time, sometimes in the blink of an eye. But we need to be here for that to happen.

Thank you for reading.
[close]

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I am thankful for great music and a good life being able to pursue the things I want to do.

Thanks for sharing, guys 🙂

I am thankful for my wife and partner. We met as friends and became inseparable as we had so much fun together.

She's a great mom and still a goofball at heart. I love that ❤️

^ I think being a goofball is an underrated and really charming characteristic, so you are very lucky to have found the two-in-one package, Guybrush. In my life, it has been best friend (male)= goofball, wife = not goofball.

@ Mrs. Waffles:  :clap:  :banana:  :clap: 

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 09, 2023, 03:41 AMMaybe some will see it as a cop-out answer, but I will just say I am thankful that I am alive, pure and simple.

As I thought about how to answer this thread, I got to thinking about a particularly dark time in my life; I am fine talking about it, but I have spoilered it for sensitive content and potentially upsetting topics. If this is not okay to post, I will be fine with it being removed.

Spoiler
I attempted suicide on December 18th, 2010. Since my junior year of high school I had grappled with depression, hopeless thoughts, and mental blocks, and by 2008 when I entered college I had begun to self harm. I was living in an unfamiliar, stifling college dorm, away from my childhood home for the first time ever. My depression hit its worst point in 2010. I stopped doing my homework, I stopped socializing, and I kind of shut down. I will not go into detail, but in the early morning of December 19th, I woke up, and in the hours that followed I think I realized just how incredibly special it is to be a living person on this planet. I became so much more at peace with the great mystery that is life, and I gained the understanding that staying here was always going to be preferable to throwing it all away and giving up any chance for things to get better.

During my recovery I clung close to the lights in my life; my family, my passions, my dreams. There is always something worth living for, even if it seems far away. I've grown into a strong and proud 34 year old woman, I'm happier than I've ever been. At age 21 in 2010, I couldn't imagine myself being as happy as I am now. Things can always turn around, sometimes in time, sometimes in the blink of an eye. But we need to be here for that to happen.

Thank you for reading.
[close]

🫂🫂🫂

Only God knows.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Sep 09, 2023, 03:41 AMMaybe some will see it as a cop-out answer, but I will just say I am thankful that I am alive, pure and simple.

Spoiler

Thank you for reading.
[close]

Mrs. Waffles, your post really moved me and the last paragraph in particular brought tears to my eyes. You're such an amazing person and I truly admire you. <3

#8 Sep 14, 2023, 11:48 PM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2023, 11:54 PM by ribbons
Quote from: Guybrush on Sep 09, 2023, 07:30 AMThanks for sharing, guys 🙂

I am thankful for my wife and partner. We met as friends and became inseparable as we had so much fun together.

She's a great mom and still a goofball at heart. I love that ❤️

Having that very strong foundation of friendship from the start is so important, as is humor and the ability to laugh together.  What a lovely tribute to your wife, Tore.  Wishing you both the very best always!  :love:

So grateful for my daughter and son who both have good hearts.  We are a very close trio and I definitely hit the jackpot in the motherhood department. 

It's not much but I got a nice compliment the other day which I am thankful for. I don't get complimented ever and I felt so warm receiving it.

Only God knows.

^ Just goes to show what a few kind words can do.  Don't want to pry, but whatever that compliment was I'm happy for you, Jimmy.   :)

Hugs from me too, @Mrs. Waffles 🫂 You're an inspiration 🙂

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Sep 09, 2023, 03:40 PM^ I think being a goofball is an underrated and really charming characteristic, so you are very lucky to have found the two-in-one package, Guybrush. In my life, it has been best friend (male)= goofball, wife = not goofball.

@ Mrs. Waffles:  :clap:  :banana:  :clap: 

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 14, 2023, 11:48 PMHaving that very strong foundation of friendship from the start is so important, as is humor and the ability to laugh together.  What a lovely tribute to your wife, Tore.  Wishing you both the very best always!  :love:

Yes! Thank you both for your kind comments ❤️ We're a whole family of goofballs now and laugh a lot. I love it 🥰

It's also my wife's birthday on Sunday, so we're going on a date on this weekend. That's something that doesn't happen so often!

Quote from: ribbons on Sep 15, 2023, 12:05 AMSo grateful for my daughter and son who both have good hearts.  We are a very close trio and I definitely hit the jackpot in the motherhood department. 

I too have a son and a daughter, both complete weirdos that are the lights of my life.

How old are your kids? 🙂

Happy birthday to your wife, Tore - and enjoy your date on Sunday!  :D

It's kind of nice to have one of each, isn't it?  My daughter is 25 and my son is 19 (egads!).  How old are yours?

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Sep 15, 2023, 12:12 AMIt's not much but I got a nice compliment the other day which I am thankful for. I don't get complimented ever and I felt so warm receiving it.
have a compliment: linguistically you're one of my favourite people ever. Your use of language is top tier in every way