I also had two cannabis plants growing in my bedroom. I asked my friend's mom over the road before the fire engines had arrived if the police would be here too as she is a legal person and she said yes, why.

Had to run back over and kill them then throw them into the alley. They were just flowering too.

The firemen had to measure the size of the room and they said it smelled nice, obviously knowing what the smell was.

Police didn't give a shit from what I remember. I still had the set up there just no plants in it.

Only God knows.

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 30, 2023, 01:00 PMI hate grasshoppers for their pointy knees. Not fond of bats either. Found one hanging on the under side of my curtain rod once. Accidentally touched it with my hand and freaked out. Called a guy friend over to help me get it outside.  We both ended up squealing and giggling like two little girls as we tried to get it into a McDonalds cup. 

That's the other problem with grasshoppers. They can get so damn big that actually squishing them is uncomfortable - the crunch, the inevitable goo, especially if the grasshopper is inside. Thankfully, I've never had a grasshopper inside my home. I will take spiders and put them outside, but I give few bugs that luxury if I find them inside. Ants are killed on sight.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Aug 30, 2023, 02:11 PMBeen in a house fire. The initial moment of realisation is scary. Then it was just a blur for me.

When we were teenagers my sister cane home drunk and wanted to fry chips in a pan of oil and fell asleep as they were cooking.

My mom used to get up for work at 5am and that's how she knew there was a fire. The alarm didn't go off. Had she not had to get up so early who knows how bad that could have been. The kitchen was fucked and had to be replaced. The downstairs was ruined mostly due to smoke damage and we had to live on a hotel for three weeks then a house for about 3 months.

Also while we were living away, that was when we were broken into and had the upstairs trashed and things stolen.

What a terrible run of events for your family.

I've been afraid of fire since I was little, but it didn't bother me too much until a few years ago. My husband put a couple eggs on to boil for work the next day and went to bed. An hour later the neighbor was banging on the door just as the fire alarm went off. He basically just ruined the pot and smoked up the house, but it taught me that sleeping isn't safe. I haven't been the same since.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Quote from: SGR on Aug 30, 2023, 02:21 PMthe crunch, the inevitable goo

:laughing:

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 30, 2023, 02:22 PMWhat a terrible run of events for your family.

I've been afraid of fire since I was little, but it didn't bother me too much until a few years ago. My husband put a couple eggs on to boil for work the next day and went to bed. An hour later the neighbor was banging on the door just as the fire alarm went off. He basically just ruined the pot and smoked up the house, but it taught me that sleeping isn't safe. I haven't been the same since.

Thank you.

I think I was like that for a bit, you'll get over it in time.

Maybe a good time to go through your alarms and check everything. And tell your husband not to cook when he's tired 😋

Only God knows.

Here, bats are protected so.. If you get them in the attic, you're likely prohibited from removing them. You just have to wait until they leave on their own accord.

I don't mind bats, snakes or grasshoppers, but I do find ticks to be vaguely threatening. I got bitten by one a couple of weeks ago just from stepping into the tiny wooded area behind the house, so they're everywhere in nature here. Gods damned borreliosis.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 30, 2023, 03:36 PMHere, bats are protected so.. If you get them in the attic, you're likely prohibited from removing them. You just have to wait until they leave on their own accord.

Or, I could leave the house, stage an arson attack to burn the house down with the bat inside, and then collect the insurance money.

Quote from: jadis on Aug 30, 2023, 12:56 PMWhat breed are we talking here?

Some kind of lab mix, but you can't convince me there's not some pit in there. They ended up sending the dog away for like a twelve week intensive training camp and she came back very docile and responsive to commands, but they're about to have another baby and I swear to god I will murder that dog and my sister with my bare hands if they let something like this happen again.

a particle; a fragment of totality

Yeah when it attacks a child it should be a one strike situation

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Dogs should be kept well away from small children. Doesn't matter what the breed is its just common sense.

Makes me feel horrified when you see parents taking pics of their dogs cuddling up to their babies, as in not even toddlers yet.

😭

Only God knows.

I love my dog more than any human, he is excessively smart and well-trained, responds to vocal commands and hand gestures, and even my facial expressions. I can read his cues and know him as well as you'd know anyone you've loved for a decade. I still don't let him around kids. I don't let people bring their dogs over to my house if Mulder hasn't already met and vetted them. I don't take Mulder into the houses where other dogs live if we haven't been there before and I know he's comfortable. When he stays with my mom or roommate while I'm out of town, I have strict rules about not letting him around new people and especially new dogs, not taking him to unfamiliar places - sometimes even not taking him to familiar places. At the end of the day, I only know him when he's with me. Unless we are attuned to each other and able to read each other clearly he is an unpredictable, wild animal with the capability to do serious damage. I respect that about him and make sure others do as well. So many dog owners are too casual about their ownership and don't put in the effort to understand the psychology of their "pet" and the dog suffers for it. An anxious dog is an unpredictable dog, and dogs become anxious when they don't trust their owners.

a particle; a fragment of totality

Quote from: MonaSomona on Aug 30, 2023, 02:22 PMWhat a terrible run of events for your family.

I do this like once a year, mostly with stuff like ginger tea but yeah eggs too. Except in the apartments I'm renting there's no fire alarm

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I've never been in a house fire, but I can share a story. In December 2018, my mom and I were driving to an appointment. My mom was on a new medication that she didn't realize had a side effect of causing her muscles to tense up, she tried to turn at one point and couldn't return to going straight after doing so, she was constantly veering to the right, thankfully away from the other side's traffic. But we ended up veering right at a high speed and driving onto the grass, right over a fire hydrant that was uprooted. We crashed head on into a metal telephone pole.

My mom was in shock and could not move, she was freaked out so much that she shut down. I unbuckled her seatbelt, and did the only thing I could think of; I exited the car, picked my mom up and carried her away from the car. We crashed right in front of a car dealership, and the employees ran out to meet us and helped us inside where we were able to get assistance with getting home. As we looked out the window at the car, about five total minutes after the crash, it suddenly burst into flames. That image is still burned into my brain, as well as the realization that if I had not carried my mom out of the car we might both be dead.

It still haunts me in a lot of ways; I have carpal tunnel syndrome which causes my wrists to hurt and clam up after driving for around a half hour. I sometimes think about having to drive longer than I expected, my hands tensing up and losing even just a slight bit of control on the wheel. And every time I'm in that part of town I pass that car dealership and think about it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards