Should it be allowed to burn religious texts in public?

Yes
9 (90%)
No
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Quote from: DJChameleon on Aug 28, 2023, 02:33 AMAgreed. I voted yes before I saw that in the OP it was a Quran. No no no.

Burn every single other holy text but NOT the Quran. It's like you guys don't learn. Don't burn the Quran or draw pictures of Mohammad to make fun of him. Crazy Muslim extremists will come for you and shoot up/bomb where you are.

But also at the same time understand that burning any book other than the quran is just gay.  And the punishment for that is people mocking you and going "I bet you wouldn't do that with the Quran!"

One of ny favorite videos of all time was WBC burning a Quran that was wrapped in the American flag.

Quote from: Jwb on Aug 28, 2023, 03:09 AMBut also at the same time understand that burning any book other than the quran is just gay.  And the punishment for that is people mocking you and going "I bet you wouldn't do that with the Quran!"

I wouldn't personally burn any other book but I'm okay with people burning them just not the Quran. Also who cares if people mock you and say you wouldn't do that with a Quran. Damn skippy I wouldn't. The wrath that would be brought down upon your head would be swift by the crazies.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: Jwb on Aug 28, 2023, 12:40 AMTell me why I'm wrong then lol. Why do you think the good ideas will necessarily win in the end?

I'm hopeful, but I don't think that necessarily has to happen. You're wrong in assuming I believe only good ideas are competitive.

Trying to add some more to this topic, burning the Quran is obviously very directly attacking Islam. That can create a mobilization in opposition and also have a segregating effect, helping to create an environment where influencing religious people with better ideas only becomes more difficult. It doesn't have to happen, but it can.

A less direct way to fight ideas that I'd generally prefer to causing high levels of conflict is working to change the environment that ideas exist in. Religion and other falsehoods thrive in an environment where people don't know what's true or false, so a good education available to all that helps people separate fact from fiction will help create an environment where those ideas do worse.

Certain misogynistic memes do great in an environment made up of mostly frustrated male virgins. Including girls into that environment could change that drastically.

Part of Meta's social medias became environments where memes promoting eating disorders, suicide and violence against certain minorities became competitive. They could make it less so by making their algorithms not promote violence and help steer vulnerable teenagers towards healthier choices.

So I think people should sometimes focus more on the environments bad ideas thrive in because if you don't change that, you can possibly beat a bad idea down, but it may just come back up again - or another bad one will take its place.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I say we burn every religious text and start from zero.

Of course if someone was like 'shall I burn the Qur'an?' I'd be like nonono please don't, but that's not the same as thinking it should be punished by law. It's just a really dumb thing to do

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 28, 2023, 08:32 AMI'm hopeful, but I don't think that necessarily has to happen. You're wrong in assuming I believe only good ideas are competitive.

Trying to add some more to this topic, burning the Quran is obviously very directly attacking Islam. That can create a mobilization in opposition and also have a segregating effect, helping to create an environment where influencing religious people with better ideas only becomes more difficult. It doesn't have to happen, but it can.

A less direct way to fight ideas that I'd generally prefer to causing high levels of conflict is working to change the environment that ideas exist in. Religion and other falsehoods thrive in an environment where people don't know what's true or false, so a good education available to all that helps people separate fact from fiction will help create an environment where those ideas do worse.

Certain misogynistic memes do great in an environment made up of mostly frustrated male virgins. Including girls into that environment could change that drastically.

Part of Meta's social medias became environments where memes promoting eating disorders, suicide and violence against certain minorities became competitive. They could make it less so by making their algorithms not promote violence and help steer vulnerable teenagers towards healthier choices.

So I think people should sometimes focus more on the environments bad ideas thrive in because if you don't change that, you can possibly beat a bad idea down, but it may just come back up again - or another bad one will take its place.

I would love to hear how this one is supposed to work.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jadis on Sep 05, 2023, 04:25 PMI would love to hear how this one is supposed to work.

Yeah, I'd imagine dudes are in those spaces because they've already been rejected by girls.

Quote from: jadis on Sep 05, 2023, 04:25 PMI would love to hear how this one is supposed to work.

I'd assume by some special kind of young lady stumbling over a misogynistic incel community, signing up and actually staomach sticking around. And maybe this happening more than once.

Not saying it's likely.

Happiness is a warm manatee