That would be a bit dodgy now.

I remember once a wildlife guy came in with a bird of prey. I'm sure it was a massive eagle. We'd all sit crossed legged on the floor in the assembly hall and he went to the back and put the eagle stand right at the front slightly above head height. He told us all to sit up with our backs as straight as possible and not to hunch or duck when he released the bird as it would think we are prey and snap our spines.

He released it the back of the hall and it flew over our heads and to it's stand.

Seems dodgy looking back now.

I remember another time the head teacher dragged a boy onto the stage by his ear. That definitely wouldn't be OK now.

Anything happen at your schools that wouldn't be allowed now?

Only God knows.

A very fat teacher kept smacking a large ruler off the table and making us jump. We were about 7 or 8 years old.

Then he took the piss out my ears and I cried. He took me into the cloakroom and told me to basically man up and say we all have differences then kept on at me until I called him fat.

Bit strange.

Only God knows.

I guess I don't have anything that specifically would never happen nowadays, but I could share some fun stories from school.

Like the time I took a whizz in a bush in fifth grade. The bush happened to be right outside the school building, and some kid saw me, told the teachers on me, and tried to frame it as me pissing on the school building in protest or something. I was interrogated about my motivations for disrespecting the school, and I just told them I had to piss and that guy misinterpreted the situation. They didn't believe me and I got detention.

On a lighter note, I forget if I posted about this before, but in my freshman year of college (2008-2009) me and another student set up all the computers in the computer lab to open the internet on startup and set the homepage to a rickroll video. One of my proudest achievements.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

@Mrs. Waffles you're pretty young still so that explains it but I expect some great posts once the more mature forumistas see the thread.

Only God knows.

Aren't you and I the same age? Lol but I think it does also depend a lot on what kind of school environment you were in.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 03, 2023, 12:26 AMAren't you and I the same age? Lol but I think it does also depend a lot on what kind of school environment you were in.

Yes, we are pretty young. :checkmark:

Only God knows.

I don't know if this would happen today or not, but we had this weird day in my high school where the whole school was locked down and police with drug-sniffing dogs patrolled the halls going locker by locker. I had been thrown out of English class at the time so I was alone in this little room next to the library listening to the cops and dogs in the hall outside. Kind of a creepy experience honestly.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I have a similar story. On the first week of my sophomore year the school called in a bomb squad because someone noticed something taped to the bottom of a cafeteria table and thought it had to be a bomb. It was a coke bottle, and the student who taped it there was penalized and there was a massive protest against his sentencing. On the day of the "threat" they evacuated the school. Over a coke bottle. Wacky times.

Also I remember one day in middle school where they served smiley face shaped french fries for lunch. While normally this would be a mundane and unmemorable detail, I find it bizarrely and kind of hilariously ironic because that one day happened to be 9/11.

Smoking was allowed at my high school while I was there. Not sure exactly how many kids and teachers smoked but I'll guess it was probably close to 50% of each group. We also had a rifle team at the school and there was the option of signing up for a shooting class to count towards class credits for the gym class requirement at the school.

Good times.

This was my middle school:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Brazill

I know people who knew the kid in question but i wasn't there when it happened

Quote from: Jwb on Jun 06, 2023, 07:40 PMThis was my middle school:

I'm surprised he wasn't convicted of first-degree murder. That sure looks like premeditated murder to me.

I think the motive and everything made it seem like a pretty erratic move on his part.  That and the fact he was like 12 years old.

Quote from: Jwb on Jun 06, 2023, 07:40 PMThis was my middle school:

That's mad.

One of my classmates is doing a life sentence for murder right now but it didn't happen in the school, felt a bit sick when I found out. Someone got stabbed on the car park of my other school also. But I wasn't there at the time. (I went to a 'PRU' for the last two years of secondary school.)

Only God knows.

We also had someone in high school who's whole family got murdered by like their uncle.  With a knife.  It was like 5 people so it was kind of a local tragedy. I didn't know him though.  My school had like 3300 kids in it.  Some Mexican kid who was like 15  plus four of his family members.

Maybe this would still happen in the US, but probably not here I think.

So I didn't have a religious upbringing and I'm not baptized. One of my teachers in what we call secondary school (ages 13 - 16) was very religious and  also taught Christianity, a subject which is thankfully long gone. So anyways I had to take these classes and when he was talking about morality, he would always use me and a buddy as examples of bad people who would inevitably do the wrong thing in his examples. I was also smoking etc. when I was 14 and he probably thought I was a little shit.

One day, he explained about how people are born with stone hearts. I guess it was his version of the original sin or something. Anyways, to become capable of truly being a good person, you need to be baptized. Only then does your heart become half meat so you can choose good. Then he used me as an example of someone who can never become a good person.

At the time, I didn't really mind it as much as you might think. I was like whatever and didn't really rise to his bullying and kinda laughed about it outside of class. But as an adult, I do recognize his behaviour as basically being a bully and repeatedly targetting the same kids. I was thick skinned, but I'm sure others have worse experiences with that guy.

So not too exciting or salacious, but that's what I got :)

Happiness is a warm manatee