After the dog wanking debacle, I thought I'd post this thread. What controversial or unpopular opinions do you have?

Disclaimer: post your views but keep it respectful, thanks.

Only God knows.

Tomatoes are awful on sandwiches and at the very least should not come as default at most restaurants.

Batman is the only cool superhero.

There are too many pokemon and they should really stop making more of them.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I agree with the first one but I like BLTs so other than BLTs tomatoes are shit on sandwiches imo.

Only God knows.

Going to the beach is boring. Don't get me wrong, I like the ocean, I like seaside towns, I like driving along the coast, but I don't understand how anyone enjoys just hanging out on the beach all day.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 19, 2023, 03:07 AMThere are too many pokemon and they should really stop making more of them.

:laughing: 

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 9th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Quote from: Janszoon on May 19, 2023, 03:20 PMGoing to the beach is boring. Don't get me wrong, I like the ocean, I like seaside towns, I like driving along the coast, but I don't understand how anyone enjoys just hanging out on the beach all day.

Did you grow up near the coast? Beaches seem ideal to me. But I grew up as far away from a beach as you can get over here.

Agree not for a full day though.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 19, 2023, 06:00 PMDid you grow up near the coast? Beaches seem ideal to me. But I grew up as far away from a beach as you can get over here.

Agree not for a full day though.

I grew up a short drive from the beach and spent a lot of time there when I was growing up.

95% of babies are ugly. They look like old grandmas and grandpas. I don't find them cute and when people shove their seed into my face like I'm supposed to compliment them on how cute their baby is I just have to bite my tongue every single time.

I feel like babies don't turn out to be cute until later on when they grow into their looks/face a bit more. So in the toddler age 16-24 months range imo.

90% of US Beaches are shit and I will never go to them. This is coming from personal bias I know because I'm spoiled with Caribbean beaches and they can't compare at all. The beaches in the Key West are the only ones that come close to being able to compare but any other beaches I will not go into that water and I don't even like the sand associated with them especially East Coast beaches. I don't know what they do with the sand but it's always kind of dark muddy looking and just blah not worth the time.  I want to be able to put my feet in the water and actually see my feet clearly it needs to also have a nice blue shade I'm super picky about my beaches.

I was this cool the whole time.

I want to see feet on beaches too mate I know what you mean.

My friend just had a son and he said to me "he's so ugly he's cute"  :laughing:

Only God knows.

I'm fine with a nice day at the beach and relaxing in the sun, maybe taking a nice romantic stroll through the shallow water. But like hell I'm ever going to actually go swimming there. It's been a super long time since I've been to one though.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I feel like I may have posted this before, but oh well.

I think private schools should be abolished. If the rich send their kids to better private schools, it creates distance between an elite of kids / young people who need to have no contact with or understand the lives of the less fortunate. They get much more opportunity to get good positions / jobs / roles in society, becoming or staying rich and sending their own kids to private school which then adds to a feedback system propping up and isolating the elite class. It removes incentives for rich people to put resources into public schools where it might benefit all.

It's kinda perverse, really.

In Norway, education is free and most kids go to public schools (including rich people's kids). Most private schools have religious agendas (!). I understand how it's important that they have a place of their own where they can warp a child's sense of reality.

Or, you know.. better to just get rid of them altogether.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on May 27, 2023, 08:35 AMI feel like I may have posted this before, but oh well.

I think private schools should be abolished. If the rich send their kids to better private schools, it creates distance between an elite of kids / young people who need to have no contact with or understand the lives of the less fortunate. They get much more opportunity to get good positions / jobs / roles in society, becoming or staying rich and sending their own kids to private school which then adds to a feedback system propping up and isolating the elite class. It removes incentives for rich people to put resources into public schools where it might benefit all.

It's kinda perverse, really.

In Norway, education is free and most kids go to public schools (including rich people's kids). Most private schools have religious agendas (!). I understand how it's important that they have a place of their own where they can warp a child's sense of reality.

Or, you know.. better to just get rid of them altogether.

I would say I pretty much agree with you. I don't know how it is over there, but charter schools and vouchers for private schools are really fucking up the educational system over here.

Quote from: Janszoon on May 27, 2023, 01:34 PMI would say I pretty much agree with you. I don't know how it is over there, but charter schools and vouchers for private schools are really fucking up the educational system over here.

It's not as bad here and the problem is a little different. It doesn't divide rich and poor so much, but more religious people from others. Religion has little space in the public school system, so there are Christian private schools for those who want more indoctrination. The weird thing is the content of their curriculums still has to be empirically based by law and so the law kinda puts a limit on indoctrination. At least it does so in theory, but then there's a lack of oversight.

Christianity has been fighting a losing battle in Norwegian society for a long time, but these Christian private schools have been on the increase. I guess they're a relatively effective strategy.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Janszoon on May 19, 2023, 03:20 PMGoing to the beach is boring. Don't get me wrong, I like the ocean, I like seaside towns, I like driving along the coast, but I don't understand how anyone enjoys just hanging out on the beach all day.

Any beach is so exciting when you're a kid with a bucket and spade, so like most of us, I have some happy memories of days at the beach, but yeah, when you grow up a beach has a lot less to offer by way of entertainment, and I have spent some seriously dull hours stretched out, squinting at some supposedly idyllic scene.
Now I know my Goldilocks Zone for a beach: not too much flat sand, but not so rocky that it stops you walking along the shoreline; it has to be just right:

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

with a good book and some tunes the sea is the perfect meditative background to a lazy day - especially when it's cool out but not freezing

if you can spend a full day with literature and music why not do it with a beautiful view