is there anything we won't accept if we're fed enough of it

i feel like the world is a restaurant that only serves horse manure and then asks where your gratitude is

OH, maybe you should check out this online news magazine :)

https://www.positive.news

Happiness is a warm manatee

it would also help if the police and mass shooters stopped murdering people like at least once or twice a week

i hate to see my resolve to care destroyed

but yeah maybe i should read positive things too -

one time i asked this really bright japanese kid - he was 7 or 8 years old and my student - what he thought about what he saw in the media just in general and he said "sometimes it's good news - like somebody made a movie"

i do take time to enjoy the arts so you know maybe it's the world and not me

i hate cherry picking things to care about

empathy fatigue or whatever but then i resent the over reaction just because there's a novelty to the tragedy

A manure sandwich on white bread is unhealthy.  It should be spread on 100% whole grain.     :D

white bread and diabetes is big no no

everyone trying to kill me

https://apnews.com/article/6b1e5bc1e71c4596827ef0a4007f4b22

QuoteIn 2022, more than 600 mass shootings occurred in the U.S. in which at least four people were killed or wounded, according to the Gun Violence Archive

damn - that is so insane

Ouch, that is crazy. Looking up some quick stats, it seems the average American is 7 times more likely to get murdered than the average Norwegian. 🤔

Flipping that around, does that mean I'd also be several times more likely to kill someone else if I was an average American?

Happiness is a warm manatee

no because many people who kill don't just kill a single person

most murders in my community go unsolved (although many of those are probably committed by the police)

and i'm surprised it's only 7 times more per capita

norway must be pretty bad

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 16, 2023, 05:38 PMand i'm surprised it's only 7 times more per capita

Imagine what those stats probably look like if you break them down along racial lines.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Feb 16, 2023, 06:44 PM
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 16, 2023, 05:38 PMand i'm surprised it's only 7 times more per capita

Imagine what those stats probably look like if you break them down along racial lines.

yeah i've spent a lot of time going over fbi crime data

it's bad

i forget the numbers but and there's a lot more information about race than class

the ultimate thing that makes you vulnerable to crime is being unable to shelter yourself from it -

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 14, 2023, 02:41 PMis there anything we won't accept if we're fed enough of it

I'd say that most frequently the answer is "No, there's nothing we won't accept", like the much quoted metaphor of the two frogs: one leaping out of boiling water, the other gradually succumbing to slowly-heated water.
For us, I think it's mainly about how we consumme news stories: we get desensitized by repetition and the fact that most stories are not right on our doorstep. Gun violence (with it's routine, "I couldn't believe it could happen here"), war in Ukraine and elsewhere, climate probs and the perfidy of politicians: some of us choke on the diet more than others, but we mainly end up swallowing it all.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

https://apnews.com/article/caf3fbdbfcb31a3f8e4e3c3e777089ee

A lone gunman killed six people including his ex-wife and stepfather Friday at multiple locations in a tiny rural community in northern Mississippi, the sheriff said, leaving investigators searching for clues to what motivated the rampage.

Four people have been killed and multiple people injured during a shooting Saturday night in Dadeville, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said.

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said the shooting happened at about 10:30 p.m. There was no initial confirmation about what led to the shooting. It was not immediately known if a suspect was in custody.