I love most animals, but these guys are my favorites.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

^Yes, who doesn't love octopi and capybaras :)

In the local zoo, the capybara share a space with the tapirs which are also very cute in an ugly sort of way. If there's not too many people to tire them out, they sometimes come up to the fence to get cuddles and scratches.

An insect I found inside at work today was the common wasp, Vespula vulgaris. Like this cute girl:

Or this saucy minx (a queen):

Here, V. vulgaris seems to be the most common Vespidae species along with V. germanica which is a little more yellow and prettier.

I used to work on yellowjackets and did a lot of species identification, so I still remember some of that. This one's fairly easy to identify; the jaws come right up to the eyes, identifying it as the genus Vespula, and the black anchor shape in the face (clypeus) along with the yellow edge behind the eyes (gena) disturbed by black markings is a good indicator for the species.

Whenever yellow and black wasp appear, I become interested and so I like them, but I've discovered that most people do not.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I believe I've mentioned them somewhere on the forum, but I love little primates, and none more than the littlest of all, the pygmy marmoset.

My heart. My absolute heart.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

What I refer to as the Northern Australian psycho bird. Also know as a Cassowary. :laughing:

Here's a weird, fascinating group of flatworms that I assume most people know nothing about; the hammerhead flatworms.

Security guard attacked by bear inside Colorado resort

QuoteA security guard was attacked by a bear that had wandered into the kitchen of a Colorado resort, wildlife officials said.

I have recently set up a wildlife camera to monitor a hedgehog house I have.

I leave hedgehog food out and have done so the past three days.

First night, a magpie ate it.

Second night, a fox visited and I was so excited (there is a fox that appears roughly the same time every night and I have named him Franco Fox). Later that same night a squirrel visited too.

Today I left the food out at about 5pm and not long after, I see a big fat rat has eaten it. And not only has the cheeky fat shit eaten it, he has set up home in the hedgehog house.

I've been watching him inside it moving about getting comfortable, making himself at home and popping out then returning to his new abode. It's like he is mocking me.

Seething.

I heard that rats don't like mint, I have peppermint essential oil so I'm going to put that round there tomorrow.

Tried to upload the pics and video but not working, I'll try again tomorrow.

Only God knows.

^ hedgehog house :love:
Franco Fox :love:
magpie :love:
squirrel :love:
rat :yikes:
peppermint essential oil :devil:

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Nov 10, 2023, 01:53 AMI have recently set up a wildlife camera to monitor a hedgehog house I have.

I leave hedgehog food out and have done so the past three days.

First night, a magpie ate it.

Second night, a fox visited and I was so excited (there is a fox that appears roughly the same time every night and I have named him Franco Fox). Later that same night a squirrel visited too.

QuoteToday I left the food out at about 5pm and not long after, I see a big fat rat has eaten it. And not only has the cheeky fat shit eaten it, he has set up home in the hedgehog house.

I've been watching him inside it moving about getting comfortable, making himself at home and popping out then returning to his new abode. It's like he is mocking me.

😡

Only God knows.

Haha! Well, I like rats so I'd think like.. what do you need the hedgehog for when you got a nice rat?

Guessing it's a dude too, though a picture where you can see his balls will confirm that in a jiffy.

Have you given him a name yet? May I suggest Raoul?

Quote from: Guybrush on Nov 13, 2023, 11:16 PMHaha! Well, I like rats so I'd think like.. what do you need the hedgehog for when you got a nice rat?

Guessing it's a dude too, though a picture where you can see his balls will confirm that in a jiffy.

Have you given him a name yet? May I suggest Raoul?

The reason I don't like them is because of the diseases and how quickly they breed. They can give you Weils Disease which is serious. If one sets up home in the garden it doesn't takeong before a possible infestation occurs and that is a nightmare. There are young children both sides of me and I'd feel devastated if they got bitten.

Maybe you can reassure me or explain why I'm being irrational? You seem like you live in a rural place but I don't and the last thing I want is rats in the garden.

Anyway I may as well keep track of my animal watching in this thread.

I named this cat The Black Panther. He's about sometimes. Doesn't do much and is scared of people but looks glorious like a tiny panther.

This is Redhead. He's a grey squirrel but he has a red head. Cheeky as fuck and likes to dig up he bark you can see next to the pavement which I have to sweep up and put back where it is. I can't hate him though. Also, when I'm in the shed training I sometimes hear him jump out of the trees onto the shed roof :laughing:

Franco Fox again. When he eats he politely takes three or four biscuits out of the tray, has his share then leaves. He is so elegant and polite. How anyone can want to hurt and hunt these animals is crazy to me.

Animals I want to see: Hedgehogs, obviously. Stoats, sparrowhawks, herons, frogs, owls, kittens, grass snakes or adders.

Only God knows.

I hate to play favourites but I like Mr Franco Fox.  Elegant is the word.  Eating biscuits like a proper gent.  :love: 

Fox hunting should be outlawed.