Hey guys. After publishing my books, I've been struggling to come up with a new project, and the other night I had a curious idea for one. Once I start receiving a paycheck again I'd like to do something nice to celebrate. Here's what's bouncing around in my head...

Presently, I access my media library from my server on any web-enabled device, including a tablet connected to an integrated amp in my bedroom and sitting room, a Chromebook for movies in bed, and my cell for headphone and in-car listening. (I don't own a television set or use any streaming services.) I allocated 10GB per device and the server dynamically prebuffers the content as it progresses through each playlist. I usually prebuffer locally over wifi to keep my data usage in check. The server client and its various forks support gapless playback, folder-based browsing, and FLAC which are essential features for my ambient listening. Buffering/spooling time for the first track in the list is less than 0.5 seconds to playback so it's practically instantaneous.

I started thinking it might be nice to invest in a dedicated portable media player with a 512GB microSD card so I could preload about 25% of the ambient essentials portion of my library, (I have 20TB of storage), onto the device and use it exclusively for ambient drones while I work and in bed.

I researched high-capacity solid state audiophile quality media players with touch screen interface, good battery life, folder-based browsing support, gapless playback, and support for FLAC and similar lossless formats. I read listicle articles and read features and reviews on Amazon.

Based on my research so far, I'm looking at the Surfans HiFi Bluetooth Mp3 Player: F28 High Res Lossless Portable Music Player - 3.5 inch Digital Audio Player Support up to 512GB. It's Amazon's Choice Overall Pick. It supports FLAC and gapless playback. Battery life is approximately 8-12 hours. It's priced at $163.99, which is the low end of entry-level audiophile grade players.

I'm curious what my fellow music nerds think. Is the device totally superfluous based on the already stellar performance of my server client? I'm thinking I would enjoy having a dedicated media player again. The last I had was a Creative Zen X-Fi in 2008 which was a pure delight.

For those in favor of the investment, what inclines you to support it? And is this model one you would opt for or do you have another in mind like the staple audiophile $500 Fiio M11S? (That's more than I'd like to spend.) 

My thinking is that, as committed to my digital music as I am, it would make sense to have a dedicated portable device.

Here's the official product page: https://www.surfans.net/products/hifi-bluetooth-mp3-player-f28-high-res-lossless-portable-music-player-3-5-inch-digital-audio-player-32gb-support-up-to-512gb

And the Amazon listing with buyer feedback and AI question responses: https://www.amazon.com/Surfans-HiFi-Bluetooth-Mp3-Player/dp/B0C86RZMX8

I welcome being told I'm insane. Or whatever else you're thinking.

(I'm like this all the time.)