Ah, you poor people have gone long enough without one of my harebrained ideas cluttering up the forum, resulting in pointless and meaningless threads, destined to fall quicker than Nikki Haley's presidential bid!

Here's another one.

Idea is for one person to choose an album, artist or I don't know, genre - something music related anyway, and accuse it, while another defends it, and the rest of us can be a jury, or something. Maybe we just watch from the gallery, or walk out in protest. Not clear enough? Sigh. Allow me to explain.

Take an album you like but nobody else does, or seems to. Let's choose one at random, say, oh I don't know, Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi. Let's say, um, grindy says it's shit so he's the prosecution. I step in as defence and then the rest of you have to decide who puts their case best, to convince them. I guess, unlike a normal trial, you can have preconceived notions, either for or against, but you should also listen to both "counsels" and see who makes the best case, then decide.

Something to involve everyone, or most. Ties are not mandatory but pants are. Or skirts, dresses... basically, you won't be let in if you're in your birthday suit.

Anyone interested? No? Too much work? Ah sod yaz all then. Don't know why I bothered coming back, should have just stayed where I was, rocking back and forth crying in the corner and trying to fight off the crippling depression as the darkness closed in etc etc...
:shycouch:

I really like the idea! It has the potential for some in-depth and carefully considered argumentation, (and I mean that in the classical sense), which is something I really seek in music and cultural criticism.

I'm terribly inexperienced when it comes to most popular music, but I would at least follow with great interest, and would contribute where I feel versed and competent enough to speak something of merit.

Great idea! :)

(I'm like this all the time.)

I think this could be a fun idea! So would it go like: One person chooses an album they think is good, then the next poster challenges that and says why they think it's bad, and then the original poster speaks in defense of the album? And then after both have posted their argument the jury all vote.

If I'm understanding all that correctly, I think it could work well. I think we'd need to set a time limit for the jury to get their votes in. But yeah, I'm down! So would we just have someone pick an album, just to get the ball rolling?

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I'm down too! I'm all for your harebrained ideas.. especially if they take you out of the dusty tombs you call your journals.

Bring it on!!

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Mar 08, 2024, 10:22 AMI think this could be a fun idea! So would it go like: One person chooses an album they think is good, then the next poster challenges that and says why they think it's bad, and then the original poster speaks in defense of the album? And then after both have posted their argument the jury all vote.

If I'm understanding all that correctly, I think it could work well. I think we'd need to set a time limit for the jury to get their votes in. But yeah, I'm down! So would we just have someone pick an album, just to get the ball rolling?

Yeah that's it exactly. This girl gets it! Not sure about the logistics, but if we follow court procedure I guess it would be prosecution puts forward their case, then the defence, and then the jury retire (or not) to consider their verdict. The deliberations could be done in PM between them (doesn't, of course, have to be twelve people, nor men, nor indeed angry ones) or, which might be more fun, in thread, and see what the verdict is.

I'll have a think about it then if you want me to present the first case. I've listened to some pretty poor albums, let me tell  you. I'm sure we all have. And thanks both to ISB (good to see you again) and Guybrush for the support, as well as of course the Forum Princess herself.  :love:

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 08, 2024, 05:29 PMI'll have a think about it then if you want me to present the first case. I've listened to some pretty poor albums, let me tell  you. I'm sure we all have.

Sure! I could certainly suggest a few as well. Maybe we should hold off until we get a couple more people onboard. The bigger the jury the better. I can help spread the word, I want to make this happen. Forum's been too slow lately. It's so good to have you back, we missed your fun thread ideas!

QuoteAnd thanks both to ISB (good to see you again) and Guybrush for the support, as well as of course the Forum Princess herself.  :love:

:love:  :love:  :love:

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Count me in! It's high time I actually try to listen to a whole album from start to finish.

My suggestion. Apologies to any small children watching. What defence lawyer would take this case??  :laughing: