Would you like a new, less moderated forum for controversial content?

Yes
6 (54.5%)
No
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

I would not agree. Over the years, not necessarily always in MB but there too, people have just decided to post stuff they know annoys me, or keep badgering me about something I no longer want to talk about. One guy had it in his head I had robbed his idea for a journal (I hadn't, and no it wasn't Batty) and got really furious about it, and wouldn't stop referring to it every post. I tried to reason with him but eventually said fuck him and put him on Ignore. He's still there. Sometimes the best way to handle something like that, someone who won't leave you alone, is to put them on Ignore. It's not always, or usually, my preferred way of dealing with it, but sometimes it's the only way.

I'm not saying you should never ignore someone.  But using the forum function as such seems like a lazy replacement for impulse control that usually doesn't even work cause other people still respond to them and so you still end up seeing the forbidden posts.

Heh heh. Just accidentally coined a new name for the forum: Mucus Banter.  :laughing:  :laughing:

Also with the amount of journals you write I'm absolutely certain at least one of them is plagiarized.

You mean I'm plagiarising, or someone is plagiarising me?

I mean I believe the guy who is accusing you.

Oh right I got you. Well that was years ago and it was quite literally a kind of "You're doing a journal about X and I mentioned X in my journal so you robbed my idea!" It was absolute nonsense. At least Batty had a case when I saw his comic books journal and decided to do one of my own; I did kind of rob the idea, though I did something different. But this guy was beyond the pale. And he was furious! The names he called me. Couldn't be reasoned with, so the only thing to do was to put him on Ignore. I don't think he's there anymore but I never bothered to take him off Ignore: I just didn't want to see his posts.

Sure I guess my line of thinking is you should be able to just skim past the posts of someone you don't want to hear from.  Or in other words,  that is what actually ignoring them looks like.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 11, 2023, 04:41 AMAlso with the amount of journals you write I'm absolutely certain at least one of them is plagiarized.

infinite monkeys infinite typewriters

Hey, now I remember. I'm pretty sure I ignored coryallen2. I think that worked out just fine.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Mar 08, 2023, 11:26 PMMy feeling is that for mods and users alike, you should keep things as simple as possible. As we already have a "Secret" section, isn't that a suitable place to put controvertial topics? Either the thread-starter puts their thread there, or a mod relocates a thread that is heating up too much.

On the topic of threads overheating, I think that Dreams's comments about Janszoon are way over-the-top: personal insults, unjustified inferences about the real-life Janszoon, as well as (unfounded) accusations that he is somehow insufficiently active politically. None that is fair imo, and although I don't know the details, I don't imagine that the suggestion that J "ignored" OH is fair either. Isn't this a known assumption that we all make going in: Nobody has any obligation to answer anybody else's post. We all have the freedom to come and go as we please. On the one hand, that makes for very comfortable, no-obligation acquaintanceships, the downside is that I'm sure all of us feel neglected at times, like "Why doesn't anyone respond to me :'( ?" I will confess that bitter tears have been shed on this keyboard as I have waited for replies to some of my own posts, but you should never shame specific people about not responding.

that one has been bothering me - i know we buried the hatchet but i'm embarrassed i said that

it's based on absolutely nothing and supremely out of line and disrespectful to your struggle so i wanted to apologize specifically for this

really my bad janz

i'm sorry

We seem to have ended at a draw. I guess that means we could give it a go with the caveat that we review the decision in a while and then remove it if it's more trouble than it's worth 🤔

@Trollheart does that sound alright?

I hate democracy. Anyone who voted No should be sent to a different subforum named "The Gulag."

#89 Mar 20, 2023, 10:51 AM Last Edit: Mar 20, 2023, 10:54 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: Jwb on Mar 20, 2023, 07:23 AMI hate democracy. Anyone who voted No should be sent to a different subforum named "The Gulag."

SCD is only a democracy when that makes sense :) Doing things by vote does have a tendency to bog things down occasionally, so I don't think every decision needs to be a democratic one.

The decision to make this forum might impact the whole community in many ways that may be hard to predict and for that reason, it was a little difficult for me and Trollheart to come to an agreement. Then it makes sense to me to have a democratic process.

edit:

I'll take up name suggestions with Trollheart.