Quote from: DJChameleon on Mar 07, 2024, 03:09 PMTIL that gen alpha is saying "fax, no printer" instead of just "facts".

It's kind of weird and I feel like it's super cringe.

It makes me cringe when I see people using "cringe" as an adjective.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 07, 2024, 03:46 PMIt makes me cringe when I see people using "cringe" as an adjective.

Elph was a perpetual offender.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 07, 2024, 03:46 PMIt makes me cringe when I see people using "cringe" as an adjective.

Cringe is a millenial/gen z term you should be used to it by now. It's been going on for a decade now.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Mar 07, 2024, 07:34 PMCringe is a millenial/gen z term you should be used to it by now. It's been going on for a decade now.

I don't care, it's annoying.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Something that bugs me is not what people say, but what they don't say. Many tv commentators, celebrities and politicians are so bubbling over with... that they don't finish one... before they start on the next.
What makes it offensive to me is that I do them the courtesy of paying attention to them but then they don't deliver with a complete idea. And to make matters worse, by implication, they expect us to re-start over again and pay attention to their next sentence, and just ignore the fact that their previous one was left unfinished.  :rage: 

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

- Everyone can't do that

When you mean, not everyone can do that.

Once again you are saying the opposite of what you want to say. If everyone can't do it, then you are saying nobody can. But what you mean is that some people can and some people can't. So you should say, not everyone can do it.

>:(

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 25, 2024, 01:35 PM- Fun fact

:'(

I say that as an ironic joke though. Usually when relaying a fact that is, in all actuality, not particularly fun lol. I can see it being irritating if used completely earnestly though.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Mar 25, 2024, 01:47 PM:'(

I say that as an ironic joke though. Usually when relaying a fact that is, in all actuality, not particularly fun lol. I can see it being irritating if used completely earnestly though.

❤️

No need to be sad. I've probably said something that applies to everyone on here already.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 17, 2023, 05:44 PM:coldsweat:

Any examples? Reminds me of someone who claimed he'd fought off a shark on holiday once.

Why would a shark be on holiday?

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jul 20, 2023, 12:19 AMThis doesn't bug me that much, though I'm surprised that it usually goes by unremarked on: people who put in the word "proverbial" when there isn't a proverb to back it up. This morning I came across it in a real-life adventure book: "the expedition was hanging by a proverbial thread". Didn't the author or editor notice that there isn't a proverb, and that "hanging by a thread" is just a phrase, a metaphor?!

Better, imo, would be the straightforward "hanging by a thread" or, for people who want to dress up their language, "hanging by a metaphorical thread" perhaps.

Admittedly this isn't some new, annoying  expression, but I figure people who come to this thread are in a good position to advise on the following:-

In a cookbook from about 75 years ago, my mum came upon this instruction: "Bake in a very moderate oven." It left me and my siblings wondering about just how moderate a very moderate oven was, and how exactly you fine-tune your oven-dial setting to get that "very moderate" sweet spot.

I also hate people using the word "literal" or "literally" when it's the reverse. "He literally blew his top!" No, he did not, as if he did, he would be dead! "I literally hang around the place" as Frasier pointed out, no you do not, unless you're a bat.

As to the moderate oven, well, one would assume that would definitely not be an oven that voted for Trump!

"I'm your new boss clean the floors 25 hours a day"

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

this post is cringe

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Also people saying they'll give 110 (or more) percent. Not possible. 100 percent is by definition the most anyone can give of anything.