Any forumistas done this or been caught up in something particularly scary?

I'd love to hear your stories.

Some of the videos of the big tornadoes are terrifying. I think I'd cry if I were in a car on the big highways and saw that.

Tell us your stories!

Only God knows.

Growing up in Iowa, the midwest United States gets some nasty weather. Never any tornados in the actual city, always just outside the metro area. Here on the east coast in Connecticut, we get windy weather from hurricanes since we are only 5 mins away from the ocean. Trees fall down all over the roads and the power goes out. The power going out sucks the most because no internet or anything. This year hasn't been too bad. As for chasing them, we basically just bunker down inside lol

I have thought about going outside and dancing in the rain when it's really windy and raining though.

https://x.com/mindys_stuff_
May 9th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

It's weird how things change over time. In my crazy 20s I'd hold onto things that had the best chance of getting me electrocuted during a wild storm. Flirting with death. That energy would get inside me and make me wild too.

Now I cringe when lightning flashes outside.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Love this thread idea, and love catastrophic weather events.

Personally my experiences are mostly with freezing temps, and, more recently, wildfires.

a particle; a fragment of totality

Quote from: degrassi.knoll on Oct 13, 2023, 10:03 PMLove this thread idea, and love catastrophic weather events.

Personally my experiences are mostly with freezing temps, and, more recently, wildfires.

What's the coldest?

Lowest I've experienced is probably between -5c and -10c, which doesn't sound like a lot and it isn't really but I believe it feels colder because of some scientific reason. Something to do with water still being vapour in the air or something. I can't remember.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Oct 14, 2023, 12:23 AMWhat's the coldest?

Lowest I've experienced is probably between -5c and -10c, which doesn't sound like a lot and it isn't really but I believe it feels colder because of some scientific reason. Something to do with water still being vapour in the air or something. I can't remember.

-30C (-22F for those that can't math) is the coldest. There certainly is a difference in a "wet" cold compared to dry. Even in those negative temps, I'd take the brittle wyoming winters over the bone-chilling wet cold we get here in CA.

Blizzard of 1978

Hurricane Gloria

The blizzard was wild because everything was snowed in, roads were blocked with snow, and cars were left stuck and stranded everywhere. It was great if you had a snowmobile or you were a kid, though.

Me and some friends had a hurricane party when Gloria came through our neck of the woods. Trees and branches down everywhere, debris of various types all over. We went outside when the eye of the hurricane came over and it calmed down for a bit and you could look up through it and see clear blue sky in the center.

Some of those pictures of the blizzard are mad.

On my weather app I have the locations of several extreme places because I like to watch what is happening there.

Yakutsk, Death Valley, Mecca and Nairobi are on there.

Yakutsk will get to -60c probably this winter. Incredible place.

That's as much as I have to offer this thread. The only bad tornado that ever happened here was in 2005 and I wasn't even in England at the time 😢

Only God knows.

We had tornados in Wyoming but they never touched the ground, just fucked up the roofs of the modular homes lol. I'm cool with that though, I don't need that in my life.

In California the earthquakes I've experienced were fairly mild. But I am afraid of them.

I have a lot of dreams of extreme weather and natural disasters- anyone else?

Oh also, I really like the subreddit /r/HeavySeas for my giant waves vs giant boats fix, and would love other recommendations of like things.

Quote from: degrassi.knoll on Oct 14, 2023, 08:26 PMWe had tornados in Wyoming but they never touched the ground, just fucked up the roofs of the modular homes lol. I'm cool with that though, I don't need that in my life.

In California the earthquakes I've experienced were fairly mild. But I am afraid of them.

I have a lot of dreams of extreme weather and natural disasters- anyone else?

I used to have them loads. Was always indoors and the tornado was huge. Really dark and was approaching the house. I always woke up just before impact if I remember correctly.

I haven't had one in ages now but have variants of being chased which is what the tornado felt like.

Only God knows.

I bought a home in Buffalo, a city with notoriously severe snowstorms at least twice each winter season.

Last winter my car was buried under 7-foot drifts of snow on Christmas Eve. And by the time the street plows got to my part of the city, they plowed a compacted wall of ice barricading me into my driveway for nearly a week.

Last year featured two of the absolute worst snowstorms that Western New York has ever seen.

The November lake effect snowstorm of 2022 dropped six feet of snow crippling the region for over a week, with crews still working to clear snow during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Then just four weeks later, we had to deal with the worst blizzard in the region's history. The Christmas blizzard dropped 3-4 feet of lake effect snow and caused undrivable conditions for multiple days. 47 deaths were confirmed in the storm and caused all holiday plans to be canceled.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has called the Christmas weekend storm the "blizzard of the century."

"This will go down in history as the most devastating storm in Buffalo's long storied history of having battled many, many major storms."

51.9 inches of snow fell in just 4 days. The wind chill was -30°. Winds clocked in at 80mph. Visibility was zero.

By that date, Buffalo recorded over 100 inches so far that season, nearly 70 inches more than the normal amount for that time of year and several inches more than what it averages the entire season.

And with climate change, the storms are only going to become more severe.

(I'm like this all the time.)

I like watching videos of tornado chasers and hurricane ones.

The worse hurricane I was in but I stayed inside was being in the carribean during hurricane Andrew in 92.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Oct 15, 2023, 01:59 AMI like watching videos of tornado chasers and hurricane ones.

The worse hurricane I was in but I stayed inside was being in the carribean during hurricane Andrew in 92.

Did you shit yourself?

I love the videos but they make me feel uncomfortable as well, lolz.

Look how dark that is!

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Oct 15, 2023, 02:06 AMDid you shit yourself?

I love the videos but they make me feel uncomfortable as well, lolz.

Look how dark that is!

I was like 9 years old. Remember that story about me seeing the weird guy in the trench coat? It happened during that hurricane. The aftermath sucked. We had no power and had to get meals daily from Red Cross. We had buckets of water that we used to flush the toilets and also shower with.

I was this cool the whole time.