Decent enough and did alright so might as well have a thread.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/w9V7xwzYi9g

I thought this was cute.

Only God knows.

The Esher Demos

QuoteIn late May 1968 (the exact date not known) The Beatles came together at 'Kinfauns'.  George Harrison's home in Esher. One by one, first John, then George, then Paul, they recorded 23 of their newest compositions by double-tracking themselves on George's Reel to Reel tape machine.
These songs, most of whom were written during the Beatles'  two month stay on a meditation course in Rishikesh, India, Feb. - April 1968 were subsequently recorded for the 'White Album'.  But not all of them made it onto vinyl and thus remain unreleased (at least as Beatles versions).
Judging by the outcome of this session, it must have been a very sunny and relaxing day.  Spring certainly was in the air (and a bit of pot maybe too).  Just accompanied by their acoustic guitars John, Paul and George recorded very charming and joyful early versions of their newest tunes. Sometimes slightly out-of-sync with their own double tracking but who cares?  Spontanaity counts!

^ Anyone have an opinion on these demos? Interesting to hear these guys in more singer/songwriter mode, but I was a little underwhelmed tbh.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Nov 22, 2023, 01:05 AMDecent enough and did alright so might as well have a thread.

Good one jimmy jazz! I have high hopes that this thread will finally deliver the definitive answer to this musical conundrum that has been puzzling people for years:
Which sixties band was better, The Beatles, The Stones or The Beach Boys ? ;)

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Nov 23, 2023, 12:22 AMI have high hopes that this thread will finally deliver the definitive answer to this musical conundrum that has been puzzling people for years:
Which sixties band was better, The Beatles, The Stones or The Beach Boys ? ;)

Oh that's EASY!!  The answer is Red Krayola of course. 

@ribbons I think you might like the OP.

Only God knows.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

aka Sissy Spacek. 

It boggles my mind why the cover of Two Virgins is obscene to some people.  I suppose I'm not supposed to understand why. 

Whole Lotta Helter Skelter

@ Mrs.Waffles and @larsvnapster: those two commentary songs about the Beatles are curious, but I don't think they've aged very well, perhaps because, after Beatlemania, the outrage over the haircuts, and John's eye-brow raising antics, The Beatles are still so well regarded.

Here's a little snippet from where it all began:

And for comparison here's the Lonnie Donegan song that The Quarrymen chose to cover - a good choice because the song was #1 in the UK pop charts the same month in 1957 that Woolton Village held its fete. The Quarrymen were really tapping into the latest teen enthusiasm!

@Lisnaholic I agree. I just wanted to do a  bit of silly trolling, haha. And I believe the Sherman song was released in 1965, which places it just before the Beatles started breaking away from the clean cut matching suit era. I can certainly see it coming off as somewhat bitter toward the mop-tops, coming from a guy in his 40s who came up in the pre-beatlemania era. I still think it's pretty funny though.

I also don't hate the Beatles, though I don't really love them either. Mostly roasting them is a way I annoy my dad, who thinks I'm totally nuts for not thinking they were godlike musical geniuses of the highest order.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Nov 26, 2023, 02:18 PMI also don't hate the Beatles, though I don't really love them either. Mostly roasting them is a way I annoy my dad, who thinks I'm totally nuts for not thinking they were godlike musical geniuses of the highest order.

Father knows best.  ;D

#12 Nov 26, 2023, 04:05 PM Last Edit: Nov 26, 2023, 06:20 PM by Lisnaholic Reason: 1984 style, I have deleted an erroneous reference to a non-person ;)
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Nov 26, 2023, 02:18 PM@Lisnaholic I agree. I just wanted to do a  bit of silly trolling, haha. And I believe the Sherman song was released in 1965, which places it just before the Beatles started breaking away from the clean cut matching suit era. I can certainly see it coming off as somewhat bitter toward the mop-tops, coming from a guy in his 40s who came up in the pre-beatlemania era. I still think it's pretty funny though.

I also don't hate the Beatles, though I don't really love them either. Mostly roasting them is a way I annoy my dad, who thinks I'm totally nuts for not thinking they were godlike musical geniuses of the highest order.

Yeah, Mrs.Waffles :laughing: I guessed you were posting the Allan Sherman song without necessarily endorsing his sentiments! But the song shows an attitude of the time: the rather dismissive joking of a generation too old to be swept up in Beatlemania. Also your dad's attitude is common enough: I have friends who still feel that the Beatles were the best band of all time that can ever be, so I sympathise with your temptation to bug your dad by suggesting otherwise!

Also, Congrats on the re-branding as Mrs.Waffles,  :clap:

I'll stick out my neck and say that, even after broadening my horizons a lot for many years, I still think that as far as you can proclaim one band to be the best, the Beatles are a very reasonable pick and I would pick them if pressed to make a choice like that

I feel about the Beatles they way the Hawk feels about the Ramones I suppose

Quote from: Marie Monday on Nov 26, 2023, 04:20 PMI'll stick out my neck and say that, even after broadening my horizons a lot for many years, I still think that as far as you can proclaim one band to be the best, the Beatles are a very reasonable pick and I would pick them if pressed to make a choice like that

I feel about the Beatles they way the Hawk feels about the Ramones I suppose

That's absolutely fair. They were great at what they did. I don't mean to take away from their accomplishments, it's just not my personal taste. That's not at all a failure on their part, I don't think any one band can be everything to everybody.