Quote from: innerspaceboy on Apr 18, 2024, 07:43 PMDickey Betts, Allman Brothers Band Singer-Guitarist, Dead at 80

I saw Dickey play guitar many times with the Allman Brothers Band when they used to tour the East Coast. He was one of the best back then.

R.I.P.

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Apr 27, 2024, 12:23 AMMike Pinder, Founding Keyboardist of the Moody Blues, Dies at 82. He was the band's last surviving original member.

Ah dang, RIP. Days of Future Passed is a masterpiece album and his keyboard/mellotron work is a such a big part of that.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

RIP, I love some of their music.

Only God knows.

Duane Eddy, twangy guitar hero of early rock, dead at age 86  :(

QuoteEddy was not a vocalist, saying in 1986, "One of my biggest contributions to the music business is not singing."

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Love Duane Eddy. He and Charlie Feathers were both in my top streamed artists for 2023. 

a particle; a fragment of totality

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Gandalf on May 08, 2024, 06:57 PMRIP Steve Albini.

I was not expecting this one  :(

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/steve-albini-dead-obit-1235017169/

Have to admit I was taken aback by that one.

Didn't know he was also a semi-professional poker player.

"I think paying a royalty to a producer or engineer is ethically indefensible. I would like to be paid like a plumber: I do the job and you pay me what it's worth," he wrote. "There's no way I would ever take that much money. I wouldn't be able to sleep."

Always loved that quote by him. I used to know an assistant engineer who worked at CRC in Chicago and he once said that when Steve Albini came into the studio to work, he usually had all of his ideas worked out ahead of time in his mind before they started a recording session. Sometimes he brought a notebook with him but he often knew what he wanted to do and just went to it.

R.I.P.

The sound he achieved on The Jesus Lizard's album Goat has probably the best drum production I've heard.

I also like this from PJ Harvey about why she wanted to work with him on Rid of Me:
QuoteI knew I wanted to work with Steve Albini from listening to Pixies records, and hearing the sounds he was getting, which were unlike any other sounds that I'd heard on vinyl. I really wanted that very bare, very real sound. I knew that it would suit the songs. It's like touching real objects or feeling the grain of wood. That's what his sound is like to me. It's very tangible. You can almost feel the room.

Damn this one stings. RIP.

a particle; a fragment of totality

How tragic.  Nowadays, 61 isn't that old. At the risk of alienating those who have an image of him as an angry person, I spoke with him after one of his band's gigs some years back. He was really nice.  What a great body of work he left behind, in both his own music and his production for other musicians.

Wow, yes, also surprised (and slightly horrified) by the loss of Albini. Besides everything he's been involved with, I also picked up some good mic tips from him.

Happiness is a warm manatee

As someone who went to college for audio engineering, I have a great respect for his work in that field. RIP

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards