It's probably happened to us all: you're at a party and someone asks you, "Which is your favourite '70s instrumental album from Turkmenistan?" If you were caught out and didn't have an answer ready, don't worry: the best answer is of course,"Firyuza's debut, self-titled and only album - Firyuza."

You can either memorize the answer for future use, or even better, listen to the album itself, which is fresh and surprising all the way, imo, as it confidently shifts between traditional, prog and jazz:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

... and if you really want to show off, you'll say, "Of course, in the 70's Turkmenistan was still part of the USSR, but here's a map of the country today that I like to keep in my pocket for occasions such as this:

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Nov 11, 2023, 05:14 AMIt's probably happened to us all: you're at a party and someone asks you, "Which is your favourite '70s instrumental album from Turkmenistan?" If you were caught out and didn't have an answer ready, don't worry: the best answer is of course,"Firyuza's debut, self-titled and only album - Firyuza."

You can either memorize the answer for future use, or even better, listen to the album itself, which is fresh and surprising all the way, imo, as it confidently shifts between traditional, prog and jazz:-

That Funked Up East channel is a fine resource, Lisna, for former Soviet bloc explorations! Just listening to their latest post which is probably less folk and more international, and has a US tinge. I think those two nations have a lot more in common than a lot of people think. Someone bang their heads together  :banghead:

Quote from: Saulaac on Nov 24, 2023, 11:32 PMThat Funked Up East channel is a fine resource, Lisna, for former Soviet bloc explorations! Just listening to their latest post which is probably less folk and more international, and has a US tinge. I think those two nations have a lot more in common than a lot of people think. Someone bang their heads together  :banghead:

Heck yeah, I love that channel. Discovered a bunch of ambient and electronic gems from it, like this.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Saulaac on Nov 24, 2023, 11:32 PMThat Funked Up East channel is a fine resource, Lisna, for former Soviet bloc explorations! Just listening to their latest post which is probably less folk and more international, and has a US tinge. I think those two nations have a lot more in common than a lot of people think. Someone bang their heads together  :banghead:

^ That's a great album, Saulaac. Thanks. It has a big, bold sound all the way through, with more brass than I expected. For some reason I couldn't shrug off the feeling that I was listening to the soundtrack of some seventies spy-action movie,but I liked it very much nonetheless. :thumb:

Next up for me: listen to Mrs. Waffles' rec and then consider taking the plunge and subscribing to the YouTube channel you both mention.
In the meantime, last night I was re-discovering an album I downloaded years ago: Abyssinia Infinite by Zion Roots:-

Listen to this song and re-adjust your attitude to life!

I don't care if it rains or freezes long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car
Going ninety, it ain't scary 'cause I've got the Virgin Mary
I'm in the backseat sinning, Jesus up there grinning
Green, white, pink or yellow, I don't care 'cause he's my feller

If you are intrigued by unusual genre names, or if you are struggling through winter and want a reminder that sunny and carefree times will come again, then a bit of Rake And Scrape music may interest you. It's the local name of calypso music in the Bahamas, the name coming from the original skiffle-type instruments used: a saw, an upturned bucket and rake handle to serve as the base, etc. In this song by Stileet, you can see some homemade instruments, and although their sound is rather swallowed up by the rest of the band, it's still a good example and celebration of the style:-

#23 Apr 20, 2024, 03:42 PM Last Edit: Apr 20, 2024, 03:51 PM by Lisnaholic
Thin, whiny, insistent : everything about this album is wonderful so far:-