Quote from: grindy on Nov 28, 2023, 08:04 PMI'm not usually into child prodigies (they usually bore the fuck out of me) but there is something about this guy I really enjoy.
He's not just a shredder, it really feels like he's developped his style.
Plus his whole style and demeanor is low key hilarious.

Nice find, @grindy 🙂 the guy's obviously very talented and seems to have a personality. I liked the second one of those the most, though it was nice to see some young love for the gypsy style acoustic.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Lots of great musicians putting on a great performance.

Gorillaz – Stylo (Later Archive 2010)

Quote from: grindy on Dec 15, 2023, 10:15 PM

I enjoyed that, but the overall question in my mind is how the fuck would I ask for that in a record shop without sounding like I'm a drunk about to vomit over the poor assistant.  :laughing:

Jean Luc Ponty - How would you like to have a head like that? (1972)

I love Julian Lage so much. He has this way of playing beautiful melodies and chords that are also somewhat alien and even bordering on dissonance without ever becoming less beautiful and logical. He also has a great tone. Also also beautifully filmed, especially the first one.

Kraftwerk live on US TV in 1975. It must have been such a trip to see this sandwiched in between the other popular music of the day. I can only imagine how crazy it would feel going from Peter Frampton and The Bee Gees and Barry Manilow to these strange German future men.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Art Zoyd are rather good. I'm going through a bit of a French RIO/zeuhl moment and thought of this performance. I love the grooves which they drew out out of the chaos.

#68 Jan 30, 2024, 02:25 PM Last Edit: Jan 30, 2024, 02:36 PM by Lisnaholic
Quote from: grindy on Nov 28, 2023, 08:04 PMI'm not usually into child prodigies (they usually bore the fuck out of me) but there is something about this guy I really enjoy.
He's not just a shredder, it really feels like he's developped his style.
Plus his whole style and demeanor is low key hilarious.

As a performance to watch, I enjoyed the first clip more, intrigued by what you rightly call his "low key hilarious demeanor". Very clever to be such a good player and at the same time without a word convey something of your personality.

Different music, different style, but I was reminded of Justin Johnson, because he ...er... sits on a stool and plays guitar too  :-[
JJ has a bunch of YouTube clips and a lot of unique guitars, which seems to be a kind of trademark for him, but in the end, it's the music that's important; to me, one way to assess a performance video is this: how good does it sound when you're just listening, not watching ? On that basis, this is about my favourite JJ performance:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jan 30, 2024, 02:25 PMAs a performance to watch, I enjoyed the first clip more, intrigued by what you rightly call his "low key hilarious demeanor". Very clever to be such a good player and at the same time without a word convey something of your personality.

Different music, different style, but I was reminded of Justin Johnson, because he ...er... sits on a stool and plays guitar too  :-[
JJ has a bunch of YouTube clips and a lot of unique guitars, which seems to be a kind of trademark for him, but in the end, it's the music that's important; to me, one way to assess a performance video is this: how good does it sound when you're just listening, not watching ? On that basis, this is about my favourite JJ performance:-

I really like JJ! He's not an especially showy player but just cool and groovy and fully in control. Perfect music for driving a convertible on a warm summer evening.

Quote from: Guybrush on Nov 29, 2023, 07:39 PMNice find, @grindy 🙂 the guy's obviously very talented and seems to have a personality. I liked the second one of those the most, though it was nice to see some young love for the gypsy style acoustic.

Pretty cool! And as a bonus, he also looks exactly like a young Ugoff.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

^ Yep, that's impressive!
Quote from: grindy on Jan 30, 2024, 03:36 PMI really like JJ! He's not an especially showy player but just cool and groovy and fully in control. Perfect music for driving a convertible on a warm summer evening.

You're right that he has quite a matter-of-fact demeanor while playing, like a craftsman just intent on getting the sound right. I will definitely put your suggestion to the test when I buy myself a convertible.

Not a favourite performance, more a "better than I expected", because among me and my friends Tom Jones was treated as a bit of a joke: the main joke being that our moms thought he was sexy. In this performance, though, I noticed how good his voice is and how much the band and TJ seem to get mutual pleasure out of what is a rather unlikely pairing of talents:-

Tom Jones, heart throb:-

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Awesome DnB-ish fusion. Mohini is scary.